A pattern reconfigurable patch antenna with dual band characteristic is investigated in this paper. Two substrates with an air layer of 2 mm is used to design the antenna. Two radiators are respectively printed on the top surfaces of the two substrates. The first radiator, which is the circular patch, is printed on the top surface of the upper substrate. Eight rectangular slots are also introduced to obtain directional radiation pattern with reconfigurable characteristic in low band by changing the current distribution, and no metal layer is printed on the bottom surface of the upper substrate. The second radiator, which is composed of a cross branch and four arc-shaped branches, is printed on the top surface of the lower substrate to provide weak coupling effect with the circular patch. A round ground plane and four symmetrical rectangular slots are printed on the bottom surface of the lower substrate to generate additional resonance point in high band with the characteristic of pattern reconfiguration. A total of 12 PIN diodes are installed in the rectangular slots to verify the accuracy of dual-band and pattern reconfigurable features. The measured result exhibits that the designed antenna has dual band characteristic, in which the low band f1 is from 2.43 to 2.50 GHz with an average gain of 3.2 dBi and an average radiation efficiency of 73.5%, and the high band f2 is from 4.83 to 5.03 GHz with an average gain of 5.24 dBi and an average radiation efficiency of 73.9%. Moreover, the measured radiation patterns show that the patterns can be reconfigured at 90-degree intervals simultaneously in two bands.
1. Ankit, B., D. Santanu, and K. M. Mrinal, "Polarization-reconfigurable compact monopole antenna with wide effective bandwidth," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 5, 1041-1045, May 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2908661
2. Kumar, R. and R. Vijay, "Frequency agile quadrilateral patch and slot based optimal antenna design for cognitive radio system," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 28, 1-9, Sep. 2017.
3. Rajeev, K. and V. Ritu, "A frequency agile semicircular slot antenna for cognitive radio system," International Journal of Microwave Science and Technology, Vol. 28, 1-9, Apr. 2014.
4. Sanjeev, S. and K. Rajeev, "A frequency re-configurable hexagonal shaped slot antenna for cognitive radio," International Conference on Next Generation Computing Technologies (NGCT), 447-451, Sep. 2015.
5. Yang, X. J., et al., "A dual-band radiation-differentiated patch antenna for future wireless scenes," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 6, 1007-1011, Apr. 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.2986346
6. Geng, J., et al., "Dual CP polarization diversity and space diversity antennas enabled by a compact T-shaped feed structure," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 96284-96296, Jun. 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2925396
7. Chen, S., et al., "Pattern reconfigurable antenna with five switchable beams in elevation plane," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 3, 454-457, Mar. 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2794990
8. Towfiq, M., et al., "A reconfigurable antenna with beam steering and beamwidth variability for wireless communications," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 10, 5052-5063, Oct. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2855668
9. Ding, X., et al., "A low-profile and stacked patch antenna for pattern-reconfigurable applications," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 7, 4830-4835, Jul. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2911238
10. Li, K. and Y. Shi, "A pattern reconfigurable MIMO antenna design using characteristic modes," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 43526-43534, Aug. 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2863250
11. Jin, G., et al., "A simple planar pattern reconfigurable antenna based on arc dipoles," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 9, 1664-1668, Sep. 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2862624
12. Sarkar, D., et al., "Dual band complementary split-ring resonator-loaded printed dipole antenna arrays for pattern diversity multiple-input-multiple-output applications," IET Microwave & Antennas Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 7, 1113-1123, Jul. 2016.
13. Ge, L., et al., "Unidirectional dual-band stacked patch antenna with independent frequency reconfiguration," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 113-116, Apr. 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2558658
14. Famoriji, O., et al., "Design of a simple circularly polarised dual-frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna array for millimeter-wave applications," IET Microwave & Antennas Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 10, 1671-1677, Aug. 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5973
15. Liu, X., et al., "A dual-band patch antenna for pattern diversity application," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 51986-51993, Sep. 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2870142
16. Yu, J., et al., "A novel stacked patch antenna with dual band and diverse pattern characteristics," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, No. 1, 1-13, Sep. 2019.
17. Gao, S., et al., "Low-profile dual-band stacked microstrip monopolar patch antenna for WLAN and car-to-car communications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 69575-69581, Oct. 2018.
18. Kumar, R., K., P. Kumar, S. Singh, and R. Vijay, "Fast and accurate synthesis of frequency reconfigurable slot antenna using back propagation network," International Journal of Electronics and Communication, Vol. 112, 1-10, Dec. 2019.
19. Kumar, R., K., P. Kumar, and R. Vijay, "Hexagonal shaped slot antenna resonant frequency determination using ANN approach," Microwave Review, Vol. 25, 27-30, Jun. 2019.