High Impedance Textured Substrate is presented for suppression of Surface Waves in Microstrip Antennas. Surface wave propagation limits the radiation efficiency, bandwidth, gain, alters the main beam radiation pattern and increases side lobe levels as well as the back lobes. A novel technique to suppress the surface waves with periodic arrangement of metallic cylindrical pins embedded in the substrate except the area underneath the radiating microstrip patch is presented here. Two structures with solid as well as hollow cylindrical pins are analysed with Spectral Domain Analysis. The textured pin bed structure creates negative permittivity and high capacitive impedance and thus suppresses the propagation of TM-surface waves. The gain of 11.83 dB with an enhancement of 6dB over normal microstrip patch antenna is achieved. Further an increase of 1.61 dB gain with 12.27% improvement in radiation bandwidth is observed in the antenna structure with hollow cylindrical pins as compared to that of solid cylindrical pins. A uniform gain of more than 11 dB is achieved with a percentage bandwidth of 17.43%.
1. Garg, R. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, 43-48, Artech House, London, 2001.
2. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antenna, 116-118, Peter Peregrinus, London, 1989.
3. Emhemmed, A. S. and A. A. Aburwein, "Surface waves reduction in microstrip antennas," Proc. 5th IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communications, 438-442, Chengdu, China, 2013.
4. Brown, J. M. A., "Artificial dielectrics having refractive indices less than unity," Proc. IEE, Radio Section, Monograph, Vol. 62, 11-23, 1953.
5. Rotman, W., "Plasma simulation by artificial dielectrics and parallel plate media," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 81-96, January 1961.
6. King, R. J., D. V. Thiel, and K. S. Park, "The synthesis of surface reactance using an artificial dielectric," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and propagation, Vol. 31, No. 3, 471-476, May 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143071
7. Seivenpiper, D. and B. Zhang, "High impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, November 1999.
8. Engheta, N., "An idea for thin subwavelength cavity resonators using metamaterials with negative permittivity and permeability," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, 10-13, October 2002.
9. Fallah-Rad, M. and L. Shafai, "Gain enhancement in linear and circularly polarised microstrip patches antennas using shorted metallic patches," IEE Proceedings — Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 152, No. 3, 138-148, June 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20045055
10. Buell, K., H. Mosallaei, and K. Sarabandi, "Electromagnetic metamaterial insulator to eliminate substrate surface waves," Proc. of IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 574-577, 2005.
11. Silveirinha, M., G. Carlos A. Fernandes, and J. R. Costa, "Electromagnetic characterization of textured surfaces using textured pins," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 2, 405-415, February 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.915442
12. Komanduri, V. R., D. R. Jackson, J. T. Williams, and A. R. Mehrotra, "A general method for designing reduced surface wave microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 6, 2887-2894, June 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2254441
13. Gera, A. E., "The radiation resistance of a microstrip element," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 4, 568-570, April 1990. doi:10.1109/8.52277
14. Silveirinha, M. G., "Nonlocal homogenization model for a periodic array of ε-negative rods," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 73, No. 4, 046612 1-046612 10, April 2006.
15. Pozar, D. M., "Rigorous closed form expressions for the surface wave loss of printed antennas," Electronic Letters, Vol. 26, No. 13, 954-956, June 1990. doi:10.1049/el:19900622
16. Roy, M. and A. Mittal, "Surface wave suppression in LHCP microstrip patch antenna embedded on textured pin substrate," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 89, 171-180, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC18072802
17. Qu, D., L. Shafai, and A. Foroozesh, "Improving microstrip patch antenna performance using EBG substrates," IEE Proceedings — Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 153, No. 6, 558-563, December 2006. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20060015
18. Ghosh, A., B. Sarkar, and A. De, "High gain compact rectangular microstrip patch antenna using substrate integrated artificial," 2012 International Conference on Communications, Devices and Intelligent Systems (CODIS), 224-227, Kolkata, 2012.
19. Mukherjee, B., et al., "A novel hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna on an electromagnetic band gap substrate for broadband and high gain systems," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), Vol. 68, No. 12, 1185-1190, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2014.06.007
20. Han, Z.-J., W. Song, W.-J. Li, and X.-Q. Sheng, "High-gain and low-profile EBG patch antenna design," 2016 Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), 1676-1679, Shanghai, China, 2016.