In this article, a meander line dipole antenna for radio frequency identification (RFID) tag is presented. The loaded meander antenna has a simple meander line structure with a spiral inductor at the end for size miniaturization, a T-match structure and an inductively coupled parasitic element for impedance matching with the tag IC. The antenna is designed to operate in North American UHF RFID frequency band of 915 MHz. The size of the proposed tag antenna is 50 mm × 12 mm and has good impedance matching with Alien Higgs IC chip of 13.5-j111 Ω at the desired frequency band. The proposed tag antenna provides omnidirectional radiation pattern with a maximum read range of 3.5 m at an effective isotropic radiated power of 4 W. Simulation results are in good agreement with measurement results.
1. Paret, D., RFID at Ultra and Super High Frequencies: Theory and Application, John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
2. Finkenzeller, K., RFID Handbook: Radio-Frequency Identification Fundamentals and Applications, Wiley, New York, 2004.
3. Heidrich, J., D. Brenk, J. Essel, G. Fischer, R. Weigel, E. Nuremberg, S. Schwarzer, and K. Seemann, "The roots, rules, and rise of RFID," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 11, 78-86, May 2010. doi:10.1109/MMM.2010.936075
4. Loo, C.-H., K. Elmahgoub, F. Yang, A. Elsherbeni, D. Kajfez, A. Kishk, and T. Elsherbeni, "Chip impedance matching for UHF RFID tag antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 359-370, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08011804
5. Cho, C., H. Choo, and I. Park, "Printed symmetric inverted-F antenna with a quasi-isotropic radiation pattern," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, 927-930, April 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23247
6. Goudos, S. K., K. Siakavara, A. Theopoulos, E. E. Vatiadis, and J. N. Sahalos, "Application of Gbest-guided artificial bee colony algorithm to passive UHF RFID tag design," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 8, 537-545, May 2016. doi:10.1017/S1759078715000902
7. Kim, K. H., J. G. Song, D. H. Kim, H. S. Hu, and J. H. Park, "Fork-shaped RFID tag antenna mountable on metallic surfaces," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, 1400-1402, December 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20072891
8. Bhaskar, S., S. Singhal, and A. K. Singh, "Folded-slot active tag antenna for 5.8 GHz RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 82, 89-97, March 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18010919
9. Bhaskar, S. and A. K. Singh, "Linearly tapered meander line cross dipole circularly polarized antenna for UHF RFID tag applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, e21563, 2018.
10. Tran, H. H., S. X. Ta, and I. Park, "A compact circularly polarized crossed-dipole antenna for an RFID tag," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 14, 674-677, March 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2376945
11. Kamalvand, P., G. K. Pandey, and M. K. Meshram, "A single-sided meandered-dual-antenna structure for UHF RFID tags," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, 1419-1426, July 2017. doi:10.1017/S1759078716000866
12. Kenari, M. A., M. N. Moghadasi, R. A. Sadeghzadeh, B. S. Virdee, and E. Limiti, "Dual-band RFID tag antenna based on the Hilbert-curve fractal for HF and UHF applications," IET Circuits, Devices & Systems, Vol. 10, 140-146, 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-cds.2015.0221
13. Marindra, M. J., P. Pongpaibool, W. Wallada, and S. Siwamogsatham, "An optimized ink-reducing hollowed-out arm meander dipole antenna structure for printed RFID tags," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, 469-479, March 2017. doi:10.1017/S1759078715001725
14. Barman, B., S. Bhaskar, and A. K. Singh, "Spiral resonator loaded S-shaped folded dipole dual band UHF RFID tag antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 1-7, 2018.
15. Yang, P. H., Y. Li, L. Jiang, W. C. Chew, and T. T. Ye, "Compact metallic RFID tag antennas with a loop-fed method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 4454-4462, December 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2165484
16. Bhaskar, S. and A. K. Singh, "Meander line tag antenna with inductively coupled parasitic element and T-loop feed," International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), Phuket, 2017.
17. Ansoft Corporation, HFSS, High frequency structure simulator version11, Finite element package, Ansoft Corporation, Available at: http://www.ansoft.com.
18. Marrocco, G., "The art of UHF RFID antenna design: impedance-matching and size-reduction techniques," IEEE Antennas Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, 66-79, February 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2008.4494504
19. Deavours, D. and D. Dobkin, UHF Passive RFID Tag Antennas, Microstrip and Printed Antennas: New Trends, Techniques and Applications, 263-303, Wiley, 2010.
20. Zamora, G., S. Zuffanelli, F. Paredes, F. Martin, and J. Bonache, "Design and synthesis methodology for UHF-RFID tags based on the T-match network," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, 4090-4098, December 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2287856
21. Kim, T., U. Kim, and J. Choi, "Design of a compact UHF RFID tag antenna using an inductively coupled parasitic element," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, 239-242, February 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.25753
22. Rao, K. V. S., P. V. Nikitin, and S. F. Lam, "Antenna design for UHF RFID tags: a review and a practical application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 3870-3876, December 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.859919
23. Wang, B., Y. Zhuang, X. Li, X. Ren, Z. Qi, and Y. Zhang, "A novel method for impedance measurement of balanced UHF RFID tag antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, 2059-2066, February 2014. doi:10.1080/09205071.2014.957350
24. Tikhov, Y., I. J. Song, and Y. H. Min, "Compact ultrahigh-frequency antenna designs for low-cost passive radio frequency identification transponders," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 1, 992-997, October 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20070065
25. Kuo, S.-K., S.-L. Chen, and C.-T. Lin, "An accurate method for impedance measurement of RFID tag antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 93-106, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08042104
26. Qing, X., C. K. Goh, and Z. N. Chen, "Impedance characterization of RFID tag antennas and application in tag co-design," IEEE Transactions Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 57, 1268-1274, May 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2017288
27. Paredes, F., G. Zamora, S. Zuffanelli, F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, F. Martin, and J. Bonache, "Free-space and on-metal dual-band tag for UHF-RFID applications in Europe and USA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 577-590, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13051312