A new metasurface (MS) structure for wideband low radar cross section (RCS) and its performance as an antenna has been analyzed and proposed in this paper. The MS has been designed with two different AMC unit cells, and the novel AMCs scatter the incident waves diffusively. The parameters and dimensions of the AMCs are optimized to get the best performance of the antenna. Furthermore, the unit cell structure of metasurface is designed and positioned to improve the directivity of the antenna. The reflected electromagnetic waves scatter in a manner of 180⁰ out of phase with the incident waves, and the antenna's scattering and radiation performance has also been examined. Full-wave simulations and measurements confirm that the proposed antenna achieves 10 dB RCS reduction over a wide bandwidth of 3-12 GHz (61.2%). A monostatic peak RCS reduction of 45 dB is accomplished at 5 GHz, 7 GHz, and 11.5 GHz. Besides, the radiation characteristics of the antenna are appropriate in the boresight direction, and the antenna exhibits good performance in $E$-, $H$-planes and ensures adequate directivity.
"Wide Band Low RCS Metasurface and Its Application on Patch Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 98, 77-87, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20091001
1. Zhu, X., J. Gao, B. Zhu, J. Wang, Y. Tang, H. Yu, and S. Wang, "A low-RCS, wideband and circularly polarized metasurface antenna," 2018 IEEE MTT-S International Wireless Symposium (IWS), 1-3, IEEE, May 2018.
2. Liu, Y., K. Li, Y. Jia, Y. Hao, S. Gong, and Y. J. Guo, "Wideband RCS reduction of a slot array antenna using polarization conversion metasurfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 1, 326-331, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2497352
3. Knott, E. F., Radar Cross Section Measurements, Springer Science & Business Media, 2012.
5. Zhao, S.-C., B.-Z. Wang, and Q.-Q. He, "Broadband radar cross section reduction of a rectangular patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 263-275, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07101002
6. Alibakhshi-Kenari, M., B. S. Virdee, L. Azpilicueta, M. Naser-Moghadasi, M. O. Akinsolu, C. H. See, and T. A. Denidni, "A comprehensive survey of metamaterial transmission-line based antennas: Design, challenges, and applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 144778-144808, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3013698
7. Alibakhshi-Kenari, M., B. S. Virdee, P. Shukla, N. O. Parchin, L. Azpilicueta, C. H. See, and E. Limiti, "Metamaterial-inspired antenna array for application in microwave breast imaging systems for tumor detection," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 174667-174678, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3025672
8. Alibakhshi-Kenari, M., "Design and modeling of new UWB metamaterial planar cavity antennas with shrinking of the physical size for modern transceivers," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2013.
9. Alibakhshi-Kenari, M., B. S. Virdee, C. H. See, R. Abd-Alhameed, F. Falcone, and E. Limiti, "A novel 0.3–0.31 THz GaAs-based transceiver with on-chip slotted metamaterial antenna based on SIW technology," 2019 IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 69-71, IEEE, Dec. 2019. doi:10.1109/APMC46564.2019.9038371
10. Alibakhshi-Kenari, M., M. Khalily, B. S. Virdee, C. H. See, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, and E. Limiti, "Mutual-coupling isolation using embedded metamaterial EM bandgap decoupling slab for densely packed array antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 51827-51840, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2909950
11. Alibakhshi-Kenari, M., M. Naser-Moghadasi, R. A. Sadeghzadeh, B. S. Virdee, and E. Limiti, "Traveling-wave antenna based on metamaterial transmission line structure for use in multiple wireless communication applications," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 12, 1645-1650, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2016.10.003
12. Alibakhshi-Kenari, M. and M. Naser-Moghadasi, "Novel UWB miniaturized integrated antenna based on CRLH metamaterial transmission lines," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 69, No. 8, 1143-1149, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2015.04.017
13. Alibakhshi-Kenari, M., B. S. Virdee, C. H. See, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, F. Falcone, and E. Limiti, "High-isolation leaky-wave array antenna based on CRLH-metamaterial implemented on SIW with ±30◦ frequency beam-scanning capability at millimetre-waves," Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 6, 642, 2019. doi:10.3390/electronics8060642
14. Jiang, W., Y. Liu, S. Gong, and T. Hong, "Application of bionics in antenna radar cross-section reduction," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1275-1278, Nov. 2009.
15. Pazokian, M., N. Komjani, and M. Karimipour, "Broadband RCS reduction of microstrip antenna using coding frequency selective surface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, 1382-1385, Aug. 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2846613
16. Jang, H. K., W. J. Lee, and C. G. Kim, "Design and fabrication of a microstrip patch antenna with a low radar cross section in the X-band," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 20, No. 1, 7-15, Dec. 2010.
17. Genovesi, S., F. Costa, and A. Monorchio, "Low-profile array with reduced radar cross section by using hybrid frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2327-2335, Mar. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2189701
18. Costa, F., S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "A frequency selective absorbing ground plane for low-RCS microstrip antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 317-332, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12012904
19. Liu, Z., Y. Liu, and S. Gong, "Gain enhanced circularly polarized antenna with RCS reduction based on metasurface," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 46856-46862, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2865533
20. Tan, Y., N. Yuan, Y. Yang, and Y. Fu, "Improved RCS and efficient waveguide slot antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 10, 582-583, May 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2011.0842
21. Ravi, P. R., V. A. Libimol, K. K. Sreelatha, T. A. Nisamol, and C. K. Aanandan, "Low RCS microstrip patch antenna using complementary split-ring resonators," IJIRSET, Vol. 7, No. 6, 40-47, Mar. 2017.
22. Kong, X., J. Xu, J. J. Mo, and S. Liu, "Broadband and conformal metamaterial absorber," Frontiers of Optoelectronics, Vol. 10, No. 2, 124-131, Apr. 2017. doi:10.1007/s12200-017-0682-z
23. Jia, Y., Y. Liu, S.-X. Gong, T. Hong, and D. Yu, "Printed UWB end-fire Vivaldi antenna with low RCS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 11-20, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL12112011
24. Yao, P., B. Zhang, and J. Duan, "A broadband artificial magnetic conductor reflecting screen and application in microstrip antenna for radar cross-section reduction," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 3, 405-409, Mar. 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2791662
25. Shater, A. and D. Zarifi, "Radar cross section reduction of microstrip antenna using dual-band metamaterial absorber," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 32, No. 2, 135-140, Feb. 2017.
26. Zhao, Y., X. Cao, J. Gao, X. Yao, T. Liu, W. Li, and S. Li, "Broadband low-RCS meta surface and its application on the antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 7, 2954-2962, Jul. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2562665
27. Modi, A. Y., C. A. Balanis, C. R. Birtcher, and H. N. Shaman, "The novel design of ultra-broadband radar cross section reduction surfaces using artificial magnetic conductors," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 10, 5406-5417, Oct. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2734069
28. Tan, Y., J. Wang, Y. Li, J. Zhang, Y. Han, and S. Qu, "Low-RCS and high-gain circularly polarized metasurface antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 12, 7197-7203, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2920355
29. Nguyen-Trong, N., H. H. Tran, T. K. Nguyen, and A. M. Abbosh, "A compact wideband circular polarized Fabry-Perot antenna using resonance structure of thin dielectric slabs," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 56333-56339, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2872571
30. Liu, Y., H. Wang, Y. Jia, and S.-X. Gong, "Broadband radar cross-section reduction for microstrip patch antenna based on hybrid AMC structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 50, 21-28, 2014.
31. Jang, H. K., W. J. Lee, and C. G. Kim, "Design and fabrication of a microstrip patch antenna with a low radar cross section in the X-band," Smart Mater. Struct., Vol. 20, 1-8, Dec. 2010.
32. Yang, H.-H., X.-Y. Cao, Q.-R. Zheng, J.-J. Ma, and W.-Q. Li, "Broadband RCS reduction of microstrip patch antenna using bandstop frequency selective surface," Radio Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 4, 1275-1280, Dec. 2013.
33. Turpin, J. P., P. E. Sieber, and D. H. Werner, "Absorbing ground planes for reducing planar antenna radar cross-section based on frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1456-1459, Nov. 2013.