A high impedance surface has far-reaching potential in wireless applications, but realization of the surface operating at sub-GHz ranges is challenging due to its size limits in practical applications. Here, we present a novel inductive technique based on multi-turn square spiral loops. The introduction of the spiral loops to a mushroom-shaped high impedance surface provides additional current path, thereby results in a dramatic increase in its total inductance at given dimensions, and therefore leads to a significant reduction in a resonant frequency of a high impedance plane. Electromagnetic simulation results reveal that a resonant frequency shifts downward 1 GHz at a given dimension, and they are in good agreement with results from an analytical model for the proposed structure. Experimental measurements suggest the feasibility of the proposed approach.
1. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798001
2. Clavijo, S., R. E. Diaz, and W. E. McKinzie, "Design methodology for Sievenpiper high-impedance surfaces: An artificial magnetic conductor for positive gain electrically small antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2678-2690, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817575
3. Coccioli, R., F.-R. Yang, K.-P. Ma, and T. Itoh, "Aperture-coupled patch antenna on UC-PBG substrate," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2123-2130, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798008
4. Vallecchi, A., J. R. De Luis, F. Capolino, and F. De Flaviis, "Low profile fully planar folded dipole antenna on a high impedance surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 51-62, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2167912
5. Kim, I. K., H. Wang, S. J. Weiss, and V. V. Varadan, "Embedded wideband metaresonator antenna on a high-impedance ground plane for vehicular applications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 61, No. 4, 1665-1672, 2012. doi:10.1109/TVT.2012.2189254
6. Mohamed-Hicho, N. M., E. Antonino-Daviu, M. Cabedo-Fabrés, and M. Ferrando-Bataller, "A novel low-profile high-gain UHF antenna using high-impedance surfaces," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1014-1017, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2389274
7. Wu, T., J. Chen, and P.-F. Wu, "Multi-mode high-gain antenna array loaded with high impedance surface," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 147070-147076, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3015758
8. Park, S. I., "Enhancement of wireless power transmission into biological tissues using a high surface impedance ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 123-136, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12110902
9. Zhang, Y., D. C. Castro, Y. Han, Y. Wu, H. Guo, Z. Weng, Y. Xue, J. Ausra, X. Wang, R. Li, G. Wu, A. V. Guardado, Y. Xie, Z. Xie, D. Ostojich, D. Peng, R. Sun, B. Wang, Y. Yu, J. P. Leshock, S. Qu, C.-J. Su, W. Shen, T. Hang, A. Banks, Y. Huang, J. Radulovic, P. Gutruf, M. R. Bruchas, and J. A. Rogers, "Battery-free, lightweight, injectable microsystem for in vivo wireless pharmacology and optogenetics," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Vol. 116, No. 3, 21427-21437, 2019. doi:10.1073/pnas.1909850116
10. Zhang, H., P. Gutruf, K. Meacham, M. C. Montana, X. Zhao, A. M. Chiarelli, A. V. Guardado, A. Norris, L. Lu, Q. Guo, C. Xu, Y. Wu, H. Zhao, X. Ning, W. Bai, I. Kandela, C. R. Haney, D. Chanda, R. W. Gereau, IV, and J. A. Rogers, "Wireless, battery-free optoelectronic systems as subdermal implants for local tissue oximetry," Science Advances, Vol. 5, No. 3, 2019.
11. Kim, W. S., M. Jeong, S. Hong, B. Lim, and S.-I. Park, "Fully implantable low-power high frequency range optoelectronic devices for dual-channel modulation in the brain," Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute Sensors, Vol. 20, 3639-3653, 2020.
12. Broas, R. F. J., D. F. Sievenpiper, and E. Yablonovitch, "A high-impedance ground plane applied to a cellphone handset geometry," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1262-1265, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.932245
13. Durgun, A. C., C. A. Balanis, C. R. Birtcher, H. Huang, and H. Yu, "High-impedance surfaces with periodically perforated ground planes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 9, 4510-4517, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2331703
14. Gu, M., D. Vorobiev, W. S. Kim, H.-T. Chien, H.-M. Woo, S. C. Hong, and S. I. Park, "A novel approach using an inductive loading to lower the resonant frequency of a mushroom-shaped high impedance surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 90, 19-26, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM19110607
15. Bansal, A., B. C. Paul, and K. Roy, "An analytical fringe capacitance model for interconnects using conformal mapping," IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, Vol. 25, No. 12, 2765-2774, 2006. doi:10.1109/TCAD.2006.882489
16. Wheeler, H. A., "Simple inductance formulas for radio coils," Proceedings of the Institute of Radio Engineers, 1398-1400, 1928.
17. Kovacs, P., "Design and optimization of electromagnetic band gap structures,", Doctoral thesis in Brno University of Technology, 2010.
18. Zheng, S. F., Y. Z. Yin, H. L. Zheng, Z. Y. Liu, and A. F. Sun, "Convoluted and interdigitated hexagon loop unit cells for frequency selective surfaces," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 4, 233-235, 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2010.7407
19. Bao, X. L., G. Ruvio, M. J. Ammann, and M. John, "A novel GPS patch antenna on a fractal hi-impedance surface substrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 323-326, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.878900
20. Anwar, R. S., Y. Wei, L. Mao, and H. Ning, "Miniaturised frequency selective surface based on fractal arrays with square slots for enhanced bandwidth," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 11, 1811-1819, 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5224
21. Lazarus, N., C. D. Meyer, and S. S. Bedair, "Fractal inductors," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 50, No. 4, 2014. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2013.2290510
23. Kaipa, C. S. R., A. B. Yakovlev, S. I. Maslovski, and M. G. Silveirinha, "Mushroom-type high-impedance surface with loaded vias: Homogenization modeland ultra-thin design," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1503-1506, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2180694