In the paper, a filtering coupled-line trans-directional (CL-TRD) coupler with broadband bandpass response is presented for the first time. It is composed of three sections of coupled lines, four transmission lines and four shunt stubs. Design equations of the proposed filtering CL-TRD coupler are derived using the even- and odd-mode analysis. For demonstration, a prototype operating at 2.4 GHz is designed, fabricated and measured. Under the criterion of |S11| < -10 dB, the measured bandpass bandwidth is 41.7 %. In this bandwidth, the output port phase difference is within 90° ± 5°. Besides, two stopbands (0.91 GHz ~ 1.89 GHz and 3.36 GHz ~ 4.3 GHz) are obtained on both sides of the passband with sharp rejection. The measurements and comparisons results show that smaller size, wider bandwidth and easier fabrication than the reported filtering couplers are exhibited by the proposed filtering CL-TRD coupler. It indicates that a good candidate for filtering-coupling applications can be served by the proposed coupler.
1. Chiu, J.-C., C.-M. Lin, and Y.-H. Wang, "A 3-dB quadrature coupler suitable for PCB circuit design," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 54, No. 9, 3521-3525, Sep. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.879772
2. Tseng, C.-H. and Y.-T. Chen, "Design and implementation of new 3-dB quadrature couplers using PCB and silicon-based IPD technologies," IEEE Transactionon Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 6, No. 5, 675-682, May 2016. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2016.2550562
3. Psychogiou, D., R. Gómez-García, and D. Peroulis, "RF wide-band bandpass filter with dynamic in-band multi-interference suppression capability," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems - II: Express Briefs, Vol. 65, No. 7, 898-902, Jul. 2018. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2017.2726145
4. Wu, X., Y. Li, and X. Liu, "High-order dual-port quasi-absorptive microstrip coupled-line bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 68, No. 4, 1462-1475, Apr. 2020. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2019.2955692
5. Chen, C.-F., et al., "A compact filtering rat-race coupler using dual-mode stub-loaded resonators," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2012.
6. Lin, T.-W., J.-Y. Wu, and J.-T. Kuo, "Compact filtering branch-line coupler with source-load coupling," IEEE International Workshop on Electromagnetics: Applications and Student Innovation Competition (iWEM), 2016.
7. Xiang, B. and S. Zheng, "Bandpass filtering 180° patch coupler with wide suppression band," IEEE 5th Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), WE3A-13, 97-98, 2016.
8. Shao, Q., et al., "Novel filtering 180° hybrid coupler and its application to 2 × 4 filtering butler matrix," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 66, No. 7, 3288-3296, Jul. 2018. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2018.2829894
9. Wong, Y. S., S. Y. Zheng, and W. S. Chan, "A wideband coupler with wide suppression band using coupled stub," Proceedings of the Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1058-1061, 2011.
10. Chou, P.-J., C.-C. Yang, and C.-Y. Chang, "Exact synthesis of unequal power division filtering rat-race ring couplers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 66, No. 7, 3277-3287, Jul. 2018. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2018.2832040
11. Gómez-García, R., J.-M. Muñoz-Ferreras, and D. Psychogiou, "Input-reflectionless out-of-phase 3-dB bandpass filtering couplers," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), 2019.
12. Wang, W. M., et al., "Wide-band filtering three-port coupler with inherent DC-blocking function," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 13170-13177, Feb. 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2892995
13. Gómez-García, R., et al., "Single/Multi-band coupled-multi-line filtering section and its application to RF diplexers, bandpass/bandstop filters, and filtering couplers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 67, No. 10, 3959-3972, Oct. 2019. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2019.2933212
14. Dong, G., et al., "Filtering rat-race couplers with impedance transforming characteristics based on terminated coupled line structures," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 8, 732-742, Mar. 2020.
15. Yum, W., et al., "Reflectionless filtering 90° coupler using stacked cross coupled-line and loaded cross-stub," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 30, No. 5, 481-484, May 2020. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2020.2986155
16. Shie, C.-I., et al., "Transdirectional coupled-line couplers implemented by periodical shunt capacitors," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 57, No. 12, 2981-2987, Dec. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2034219
17. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2011.