In this paper, we propose a laser monitor with a horizontally located observation area for studying laser initiation and combustion of thin layers of metal nanopowders. Three configurations of the optical scheme with different inputs of igniting laser radiation and different magnifications are considered. Visualization of combustion of a 0.4 mm layer of aluminum nanopowder demonstrated the possibility of studying the surface of a nanopowder thin layer during combustion using a laser monitor. The bright glowing of the sample and the bright radiation of the igniting laser do not interfere with the imaging of the surface. The proposed system allows us to study surface changes caused by the propagation of combustion waves. It is demonstrated that in the region of laser initiation, combustion proceeds in one-stage, and combustion products are formed during laser action. Outside the initiation area, combustion proceeds in two stages. The results reveal the prospects for designing a laser monitor for studying the combustion of thinner layers of metal nanopowders.
2. Gromov, A. A., T. A. Khabas, A. P. Il'in, E. M. Popenko, V. A. Arkhipov, A. G. Korotkikh, A. A. Dits, and L. O. Tolbanova, Combustion of Metal Nanopowders, Deltaplan, Tomsk, 2008.
3. Rogachev, A. S. and A. S. Mukasyan, "Combustion of heterogeneous nanostructural systems (Review)," Combust. Explos. Shock Waves, Vol. 46, 243-266, 2010.
4. Abdel-Hafez, A. A., M. W. Brodt, J. R. Carney, and J. M. Lightstone, "Laser dispersion and ignition of metal fuel particles," Rev. Sci. Instrum., Vol. 82, No. 6, 064101, 2011.
5. Naumov, I. S., "Simulation of flame propagation on the surface of multilayer materials," Perm Journal of Petroleum and Mining Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 7, 138-152, 2013.
6. Poriazov, V. A., "The influence of aluminum particle dispersion on the burning rate of metallized solid propellants," Tomsk State University Journal of Mathematics and Mechanics, Vol. 33, No. 1, 96-104, 2015.
7. Li, L., A. V. Mostovshchikov, A. P. Ilyin, A. Smirnov, and F. A. Gubarev, "Optical system with brightness amplification for monitoring the combustion of aluminum-based nanopowders," IEEE T. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 69, No. 2, 457-468, 2020.
8. Li, L., A. V. Mostovshchikov, A. P. Ilyin, P. A. Antipov, D. V. Shiyanov, and F. A. Gubarev, "Imaging system with brightness amplification for a metal-nanopowder combustion study," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 127, 194503, 2020.
9. Li, L., A. V. Mostovshchikov, A. P. Ilyin, P. A. Antipov, D. V. Shiyanov, and F. A. Gubarev, "In situ nanopowder combustion visualization using laser systems with brightness amplification," Proc. Combust. Inst., 2020 (In Press), (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2020.08.048).
10. Wang, H., D. J. Kline, and M. R. Zachariah, "In-operando high-speed microscopy and thermometry of reaction propagation and sintering in a nanocomposite," Nat. Commun., Vol. 10, No. 1, 3032, 2019.
11. Sullivan, T., W. Chiou, R. Fiore, and M. R. Zachariah, "In situ microscopy of rapidly heated nano-Al and nano-Al/WO3 thermites," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 97, 133104, 2010.
12. Egan, G. C., K. T. Sullivan, T. LaGrange, B. W. Reed, and M. R. Zachariah, "In situ imaging of ultra-fast loss of nanostructure in nanoparticle aggregates," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 115, 084903, 2014.
13. Evtushenko, G. S. (Ed.), Methods and Instruments for Visual and Optical Diagnostics of Objects and Fast Processes, Nova Science Publishers, New York, 2018.
14. Petrash, G. G. (Ed.), Optical Systems with Brightness Amplifiers, Nauka, Moscow, 1991.
15. Little, C. E. and N. V. Sabotinov (Ed.), Pulsed Metal Vapor Lasers, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 1996.
16. Little, C. E., Metal Vapor Lasers: Physics, Engineering and Applications, John Willey & Sons Ltd., Chichester, 1999.
17. Gubarev, F. A., A. V. Mostovshchikov, M. S. Klenovskii, A. P. Il'in, and L. Li, "Copper bromide laser monitor for combustion processes visualization," 2016 Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), 2666-2670, Shanghai, China, Aug. 8-11, 2016.
18. Li, L., A. V. Mostovshchikov, A. P. Il'in, and F. A. Gubarev, "Monitoring of Aluminum nanopowder combustion ignited by laser radiation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 75, 125-130, 2018.
19. Gubarev, F. A., S. Kim, L. Li, A. V. Mostovshchikov, and A. P. Il'in, "An optical system with brightness amplification for studying the surface of metal nanopowders during combustion," Instrum. Exp. Tech., Vol. 63, No. 3, 379-386, 2020.
20. Ilyin, A. P., O. B. Nazarenko, and D. V. Tikhonov, "Synthesis and characterization of metal carbides nanoparticles produced by electrical explosion of wires," J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol., Vol. 12, 8137-8142, 2012.
21. Rodriguez, R. D., S. Shchadenko, G. Murastov, A. Lipovka, M. Fatkullin, I. Petrov, T.-H. Tran, A. Khalelov, M. Saqib, N. E. Villa, V. Bogoslovskiy, Y. Wang, C.-G. Hu, A. Zinovyev, W. Sheng, J.-J. Chen, I. Amin, and E. Sheremet, "Ultra-robust flexible electronics by laser-driven polymer-nanomaterials integration," Adv. Funct. Mater., 2008818, 2021.