Monitoring the prestress of prestressed steel strands is important but difficult. The magnetoelastic inductance (MI) method is used to monitor the prestress. A coupling model was established to describe the correlation among stress, magnetism, and inductance. A prestress monitoring system based on the MI effect was proposed. To verify the feasibility of the method, experiments were carried out. The results showed that influenced by the hydration heat of the grouting materials, the fluctuation range of the inductance was 1.033%. When the hydration came to an end, the inductance approached the initial inductance. For internal steel strands, the obtained inductance-prestress relationship was similar to the relationship of external steel strands. Thus, the prestress of the internal steel strands could be monitored by the MI method.
2. Ho, D., et al., "Prestress-force estimation in PSC girder using modal parameters and system identification," Adv. Struct. Eng., Vol. 15, 997-1012, 2016.
3. ElBatanouny, M. K., et al., "Acoustic emission monitoring for assessment of prestressed concrete beams," Constr. Build. Mater., Vol. 58, 46-53, 2014.
4. Salamone, S., et al., "Health Monitoring Of Prestressing Tendons In Post-Tensioned Concrete Structures," ASNT Conference on NDE/NDT for Highways & Bridges: Structural Materials Technology, 2011.
5. Bartoli, I., et al., "Nonlinear ultrasonic guided waves for stress monitoring in prestressing tendons for post-tensioned concrete structures," Proceedings of SPIE, 729220-7292211, 2009.
6. Chen, R. H. L., K. Wissawapaisal, E. Abramovici, and , "An ultrasonic method for measuring tensile forces in a seven-wire prestressing strand," AIP Conference, 2002.
7. Wang, Z. D., Y. Gu, and Y. S. Wang, "A review of three magnetic NDT technologies," J. Magn. Magn. Mater., Vol. 324, 382-388, 2012.
8. Schoenekess, H. C., et al., "Dynamic load inspection on steel tendons of steel reinforced concrete constructions by means of eddy-current sensors," Proceedings of SPIE — The International Society for Optical Engineering, Vol. 4337, 122-128, 2006.
9. Kim, J., J. Lee, and H. Sohn, "Automatic measurement and warning of tension force reduction in a PT tendon using eddy current sensing," NDT & E International, Vol. 87, 93-99, 2017.
10. Li, X., et al., "An electromagnetic oscillation method for stress measurement of steel strands," Measurement, Vol. 125, 330-335, 2018.
11. Wang, M. L., "Application of EM stress sensors in large steel cables," Smart Struct. Syst., 5765, 2005.
12. Tang, D., et al., "Study of a steel strand tension sensor with difference single bypass excitation structure based on the magneto-elastic effect," Smart Mater. Struct., Vol. 17, 25019, 2008.
13. Cappello, C., et al., "Calibration of elasto-magnetic sensors on in-service cable-stayed bridges for stress monitoring," Sensors (Basel, Switzerland), Vol. 18, 466, 2018.
14. Duan, Y., et al., "Development of Elasto-Magneto-Electric (EME) sensor for in-service cable force monitoring," Int J. Struct. Stab. Dy., Vol. 16, 1640016, 2016.
15. Zhang, S., et al., "Cable tension monitoring based on the elasto-magnetic effect and the self-induction phenomenon," Materials, Vol. 12, 2230, 2019.
16. Liu, L., et al., "Stress monitoring of prestressed steel strand based on magnetoelastic effect under weak magnetic field considering material strain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 104, 157-170, 2020.
17. Seekircher, J. and B. Hoffmann, "New magnetoelastic force sensor using amorphous alloys," Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 22, 401-405, 1990.
18. Jiles, D. C., J. B. Thoelke, and M. K. Devine, "Numerical determination of hysteresis parameters for the modeling of magnetic properties using the theory of ferromagnetic hysteresis," IEEE T. Magn., Vol. 28, 27-35, 1992.
19. Jiles, D. C., "Theory of the magnetomechanical effect," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 28, 1537-1546, 1995.
20. Sablik, M. J., et al., "A model for hysteretic magnetic properties under the application of noncoaxial stress and field," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 74, 480-488, 1993.
21. Zhang, S., et al., "“Influence of cable tension history on the monitoring of cable tension using magnetoelastic inductance method," Structural Health Monitoring, 84060946, 2021.
22. Ata, N., S. Mihara, and M. Ohtsu, "“Imaging of ungrouted tendon ducts in prestressed concrete by improved SIBIE," NDT & E International, Vol. 40, No. 3, 258-264, 2007.
23. Zapata, J. , R. Vilar, and R. Ruiz, "An adaptive-network-based fuzzy inference system for classification of welding defects," NDT & E International, Vol. 43, No. 3, 191-199, 2010.