Electromagnetic properties of a planar metallic metasurface with the design inspired by Babinet's principle are numerically studied. The metasurface is constructed from a metal plate perforated by coaxial-sector apertures. It is shown that the chosen coaxial-sector apertures make it possible to obtain a wider operating range of the metasurface than those composed of apertures of other shapes (e.g. round or rectangle). Moreover, the proposed metasurface performs an efficient polarization conversion of the linearly polarized wave to elliptically and circularly polarized ones in the reflected field.
2. Berdnik, S. L., V. A. Katrich, and V. A. Lyaschenko, "Closely spaced transverse slots in rectangular waveguide," Proceedings 4th International Conference on Antenna Theory and Techniques, Sevastopol, Ukraine, September 9-12, 2003.
3. Tuz, V. R., S. L. Prosvirnin, and L. A. Kochetova, "Optical bistability involving planar metamaterials with broken structural symmetry," Physical Review B, Vol. 82, No. 23, 233402, 2010.
4. Khardikov, V., P. Mladyonov, S. Prosvirnin, and V. Tuz, "Electromagnetic wave diffraction by periodic planar metamaterials with nonlinear constituents," Chapter 5 in Contemporary Optoelectronics, Springer Series in Optical Sciences, 81-98, 2016.
5. Antonenko, Y. V., Ye. A. Antonenko, and A. V. Gribovsky, "Experimental investigation of frequency-selective properties of metal metasurface supporting a trapped mode resonance," Proceedings Ukrainian Microwave Week, Kharkiv, Ukraine, September 21-25, 2020.
6. Politano, G. G., E. Cazzanelli, C. Versace, C. Vena, M. P. De Santo, M. Castriota, F. Ciuchi, and R. Bartolino, "Graphene oxide on magnetron sputtered silver thin films for SERS and metamaterial applications," Applied Surface Science, Vol. 427, 927-933, 2018.
7. Sadhukhan, K., A. Politano, and A. Agarwal, "Novel undamped gapless plasmon mode in a tilted Type-II dirac semimetal," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 124, No. 4, 046803, 2020.
8. Chiarello, G., J. Hofmann, Z. Li, V. Fabio, L. Guo, X. Chen, S. Das Sarma, and A. Politano, "Tunable surface plasmons in Weyl semimetals TaAs and NbAs," Physical Review B, Vol. 99, No. 12, 121401, 2019.
9. Politano, A., G. Chiarello, B. Ghosh, K. Sadhukhan, C.-N. Kuo, C. S. Lue, V. Pellegrini, and A. Agarwal, "3D dirac plasmons in the Type-II dirac semimetal PtTe 2," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 121, No. 8, 086804, 2018.
10. Agarwal, A., M. S. Vitiello, L. Viti, A. Cupolillo, and A. Politano, "Plasmonics with two-dimensional semiconductors: From basic research to technological applications," Nanoscale, Vol. 10, No. 19, 8938-8946, 2018.
11. Politano, A. and G. Chiarello, "Plasmon modes in graphene: Status and prospect," Nanoscale, Vol. 6, No. 19, 10927-10940, 2014.
12. Viti, L., D. Coquillat, A. Politano, K. A. Kokh, Z. S. Aliev, M. B. Babanly, O. E. Tereshchenko, W. Knap, E. V. Chulkov, and M. S. Vitiello, "Plasma-wave terahertz detection mediated by topological insulators surface states," Nano Letters, Vol. 16, No. 1, 80-87, 2016.
13. Politano, A., L. Viti, and M. S. Vitiello, "Optoelectronic devices, plasmonics, and photonics with topological insulators," APL Materials, Vol. 5, No. 3, 035504, 2017.
14. Mitrofanov, O., L. Viti, E. Dardanis, M. C. Giordano, D. Ercolani, A. Politano, L. Sorba, and M. S. Vitiello, "Near-field terahertz probes with room-temperature nanodetectors for subwavelength resolution imaging," Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, No. 1, 1-10, 2017.
15. Zhang, L., Z. Chen, K. Zhang, L. Wang, H. Xu, L. Han, W. Guo, Y. Yang, C.-N. Kuo, C. S. Lue, D. Mondal, J. Fuji, I. Vobornik, B. Ghosh, A. Agarwal, H. Xing, X. Chen, X. Chen, and W. Lu, "High-frequency rectifiers based on Type-II dirac fermions," Nature Communications, Vol. 12, No. 1, 1-8, 2021.
16. Guo, C., Y. Hu, G. Chen, D. Wei, L. Zhang, Z. Chen, W. Guo, H. Xu, C.-N. Kuo, C. S. Lue, X. Bo, X. Wan, L. Wang, X. Chen, X. Chen, and W. Lu, "Anisotropic ultrasensitive PdTe2-based phototransistor for room-temperature long-wavelength detection," Science Advances, Vol. 6, No. 36, 2020.
17. Xu, H., C. Guo, J. Zhang, W. Guo, C.-N. Kuo, C. S. Lue, W. Hu, L. Wang, G. Chen, A. Politano, X. Chen, and W. Lu, "PtTe2-based Type-II dirac semimetal and its Van der Waals heterostructure for sensitive room temperature terahertz photodetection," Small, Vol. 15, No. 52, 1903362, 2019.
18. Tang, W., A. Politano, C. Guo, W. Guo, C. Liu, L. Wang, X. Chen, and W. Lu, "Ultrasensitive room-temperature terahertz direct detection based on a bismuth selenide topological insulator," Advanced Functional Materials, Vol. 28, No. 31, 1801786, 2018.
19. Chen, Y., A. S. Schwanecke, V. A. Fedotov, V. V. Khardikov, P. L. Mladyonov, S. L. Prosvirnin, A. V. Rogacheva, N. I. Zheludev, and E. Huq, "Electron beam lithography for high density meta fish scale operational at optical frequency," Microelectronic Engineering, Vol. 86, No. 4-6, 1081-1084, 2009.
20. Fedotov, V. A., M. Rose, S. L. Prosvirnin, N. Papasimakis, and N. I. Zheludev, "Sharp trapped-mode resonances in planar metamaterials with a broken structural symmetry," Physical Review Letters PRL, Vol. 99, 147401, 2007.
21. Alibakhshikenari, M., B. S. Virdee, P. Shukla, C. H. See, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, F. J. Falcone, and E. Limiti, "Meta-surface wall suppression of mutual coupling between microstrip patch antenna arrays for THz-band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 75, 105-111, 2018.
22. Wang, S., P. C.Wu, V. C. Su, Y. C. Lai, C. H. Chu, J. W. Chen, and T. Li, "Broadband achromatic optical metasurface devices," Nature Communications, Vol. 8, No. 1, 1-9, 2017.
23. Prosvirnin, S. L., V. A. Dmitriev, Y. A. Kuleshov, and V. V. Khardikov, "Planar all-silicon metamaterial for terahertz applications," Applied Optics, Vol. 54, No. 13, 3986-3990, 2015.
24. Tuz, V. R., V. V. Khardikov, A. S. Kupriianov, K. L. Domina, S. Xu, H. Wang, and H.-B. Sun, "High-quality trapped modes in all-dielectric metamaterials," Optics Express, Vol. 26, No. 3, 2905-2916, 2018.
25. Legenkiy, M., "Analysis of axially symmetric diffraction grating," Proceedings XI International Conference on Antenna Theory and Techniques (ICATT), Kyiv, Ukraine, May 24-27, 2017.
26. Wang, Y., B. Yang, Y. Tian, R. S. Donnan, and M. J. Lancaster, "Micromachined thick mesh filters for millimeter-wave and terahertz applications," IEEE Trans. Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 4, No. 2, 247-253, 2014.
27. Antonenko, Y. V. and A. V. Gribovsky, "Frequency-selective properties of a plane screen of finite thickness with coaxial-sector apertures," Radio Physics and Radio Astronomy, Vol. 2, No. 1, 77-83, 2011.
28. Antonenko, J. V. and A. V. Gribovsky, "Polarization transformation of electromagnetic waves on a reflector array of the short-circuited coaxial-sector waveguides," Proceedings 13-th International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Electromagnetic Theory, Kyiv, Ukraine, September 6-8, 2010.
29. Antonenko, J. V. and A. V. Gribovsky, "Frequency-selective properties of the flat screen of a finite thickness with coaxial-sectors apertures," Proceedings International Kharkov Simposium on Physics and Engineering of Microwaves, Millimeter and Submillimeter Waves, Kharkiv, Ukraine, June 21-26, 2010.
30. Cui, J., M. Legenkiy, V. Khrychov, S. Shulga, Z. Sun, and Y. Zheng, "Diffraction properties of azimuthally symmetric gratings in a hollow circular dielectric waveguide," Results in Physics, Vol. 18, 103204, 2020.
31. Antonenko, Y. V., Ye. A. Antonenko, and A. V. Gribovsky, "Experimental studies of the Fabry-Perot resonator with mirrors perforated by coaxial-sector holes," Proceedings XXIVth International Seminar/Workshop on Direct and Inverse Problems of Electromagnetic and Acoustic Wave Theory (DIPED), Lviv, Ukraine, September 12-14, 2019, 2019.