Pneumothorax can cause chest tightness, chest pain, and respiratory failure, which can be life-threatening in severe cases. Therefore, early diagnosis and treatment of pneumothorax are crucial. Magneto-Acousto-Electrical Tomography (MAET)is an imaging technique in which ultrasound and electromagnetism are mutually coupled. It has the advantages of high spatial resolution and high image contrast. In this paper, we use MAET to study porous and air-containing lung tissue. We first simulate the characteristics of the MAET signal as the degree of pneumothorax increases. The relationship between the size of the ultrasonic probe and the size of the pneumothorax was discussed. The simulation results show that the reflection and attenuation values of the MAET voltage signals increase as the pneumothorax size gradually increases, regardless of whether the ultrasound transducer size is larger or smaller than the pneumothorax size. Finally, the MAET experimental platform was built to validate the simulation results of MAET signals. The results of the experiment and simulation are consistent with each other. The research of this paper has a certain reference value for the detection of pneumothorax using MAET.
1. Baumann, M. H. and C. Strange, "The clinician's perspective on pneumothorax management," CHEST, Vol. 112, No. 3, 822-828, 1997. doi:10.1378/chest.112.3.822
2. Seremetis, M. G., "The management of spontaneous pneumothorax," CHEST, Vol. 57, No. 1, 65-68, 1970. doi:10.1378/chest.57.1.65
3. Tschopp, J. M., et al., "Management of spontaneous pneumothorax: State of the art," European Respiratory Journal, Vol. 28, No. 3, 637, 2006. doi:10.1183/09031936.06.00014206
4. Volpicelli, G., et al., "International evidence-based recommendations for point-of-care lung ultrasound," Intensive Care Medicine, Vol. 38, No. 4, 577-591, 2012. doi:10.1007/s00134-012-2513-4
5. Wernecke, K., et al., "Pneumothorax: Evaluation by ultrasound-preliminary results," Journal of Thoracic Imaging, Vol. 2, No. 2, 76-78, 1987. doi:10.1097/00005382-198704000-00015
6. Li, Y., et al., "Three-dimensional model of conductivity imaging for Magneto-Acousto-Electrical Tomography," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 127, No. 10, 104701, Mar. 2020. doi:10.1063/1.5139600
7. Kaboutari, K., et al., "Data acquisition system for MAET with magnetic field measurements," Physics in Medicine & Biology, Vol. 64, 110516, 2019.
8. Li, Y., et al., "The experimental study of mouse liver in Magneto-Acousto-Electrical Tomography by scan mode," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 65, No. 21, 215024, 2020. doi:10.1088/1361-6560/abb4bb
9. Han, W., S. Jatin, and S. Robert, "Hall effect imaging," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 45, No. 1, 119-124, 1998. doi:10.1109/10.650364
10. Haider, S., A. Hrbek, and Y. Xu, "Magneto-Acousto-Electrical Tomography: A potential method for imaging current density and electrical impedance," Physiological Measurement, Vol. 29, No. 6, S41-50, 2008. doi:10.1088/0967-3334/29/6/S04
11. Zeng, X., et al., "An acoustic characteristic study of Magneto-Acousto-Electrical Tomography," International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Informatics, 95-98, 2010.
12. Graslandmongrain, P., et al., "Lorentz force electrical impedance tomography," IRBM, Vol. 34, No. 4, 357-360, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.irbm.2013.08.002
13. Guo, L., G. Liu, and H. Xia, "Magneto-Acousto-Electrical Tomography with magnetic induction for conductivity reconstruction," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 62, No. 9, 2114-2124, 2015. doi:10.1109/TBME.2014.2382562
14. Zengin, R. and N. G. Gencer, "Lorentz force electrical impedance tomography using magnetic field measurements," Physics in Medicine & Biology, Vol. 61, No. 16, 5887-5905, 2016. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/61/16/5887
15. Kunyansky, L., C. P. Ingram, and R. S. Witte, "Rotational Magneto-Acousto-Electric Tomography (MAET): Theory and experimental validation," Physics in Medicine & Biology, Vol. 62, No. 8, 3025, 2017. doi:10.1088/1361-6560/aa6222
16. Zhou, Y., et al., "Noninvasive treatment-efficacy evaluation for HIFU therapy based on Magneto-Acousto-Electrical Tomography," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 66, No. 3, 666-674, 2019. doi:10.1109/TBME.2018.2853594
17. Yu, Z. F., Y. Zhou, Y. Z. Li, Q. Y. Ma, G. P. Guo, and J. Tu, "Performance improvement of Magneto-Acousto-Electrical Tomography for biological tissues with sinusoid-Barker coded excitation," Chinese Physics B, Vol. 27, No. 9, 094302, 2018. doi:10.1088/1674-1056/27/9/094302
18. Li, Y., et al., "Numerical simulations and experimental study of Magneto-Acousto-Electrical Tomography with plane transducer," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 54, No. 3, 1-4, 2018. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2018.2800462
19. Dai, M., et al., "A 2D Magneto-Acousto-Electrical Tomography method to detect conductivity variation using multifocus image method," Sensors, Vol. 18, No. 7, 2231, 2018. doi:10.3390/s18072231
20. Sun, Z. S., G. Q. Liu, and H. Xia, "Lorentz force electrical impedance tomography using pulse compression technique," Chinese Physics B, Vol. 26, No. 12, 124302, 2017. doi:10.1088/1674-1056/26/12/124302