This paper introduces a reconfigurable polarization MIMO (Multi-Input Multi-Output) dielectric resonator antenna at millimeter-wave frequency band. The proposed antenna consists of four single dielectric resonator antennas that are placed in 2×2 configuration to form a MIMO antenna, and also this design is based on using the pin diode switching concept to control the antenna polarization. In order to modify the antenna structure for different polarizations, two pin diodes are used in the ground place of the MIMO antenna. The designed antenna operates at 4.35 GHz for polarization diversity applications of the modern wireless MIMO systems. The proposed antenna covers a bandwidth of 11.26% at the central frequency and provides circular and linear polarizations with high gain around 6.4 dB. The antenna performance in terms of reflection coefficient, gain and axial ratio bandwidth in different modes (ON-ON, ON-OFF, OFF-ON and OFF-OFF) is measured. The advantages of the designed antenna are simple structure (using two pin diode switches to modify antenna polarization), high gain, low profile, and light weight. According to the measurement and simulation results, the designed antenna displays good return loss and radiation performance. Using the plexiglass as an antenna material which is very cheap and available in different dimensions is another advantage of the proposed antenna which reduce the fabrication cost.
2. Ge, L. and K. M. Luk, "Frequency-reconfigurable low profile circular monopolar patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 7, 3443-3449, 2014.
3. Esmaeili, M. and J.-J. Laurin, "Polarization reconfigurable slot-fed cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 168, 61-71, 2020.
4. Liu, Y., M. Wei, H. Liu, and S.-X. Gong, "A novel compact three-port dielectric resonator antenna with reconfigurable pattern for WLAN systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 37-45, 2014.
5. Lin, W., S. L. Chen, R. W. Ziolkowski, and Y. J. Guo, "Reconfigurable, wideband, low-profile, circularly polarized antenna and array enabled by an artificial magnetic conductor ground," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 3, 1564-1569, 2018.
6. Kumar, P., et al., "Dual-band dual-sense polarization reconfigurable circularly polarized antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 1, 64-68, 2018.
7. Sung, Y., "Investigation into the polarization of asymmetrical-feed triangular microstrip antennas and its application to reconfigurable antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1039-1046, 2009.
8. Ding, Z., S.-Q. Xiao, Y. Bai, and B.-Z. Wang, "Hemisphere dielectric resonator pattern reconfigurable antenna and its linear phased array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 183-192, 2009.
9. Abou Shahine, M. Y., M. Al-Husseini, M. Mervat, and A. El-Hajj, "Dielectric resonator antennas with band rejection and frequency reconfigurability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 46, 101-108, 2014.
10. Al-Yasir, Y. I., A. S. Abdullah, N. Ojaroudi Parchin, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, and J. M. Noras, "A new polarization-reconfigurable antenna for 5G applications," Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 11, 293, 2018.
11. Saraswat, R. K., M. Kumar, S. Gurjar, and C. P. Singh, "A reconfigurable polarized antenna using switchable slotted ground structure," 2015 Fifth International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies, 15-19, 2015.
12. Mahlaoui, Z., E. Antonino-Daviu, A. Latif, and M. Ferrando-Bataller, "Design of a dual-band frequency recongurable patch antenna based on characteristic modes," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2019.
13. Zhang, L., S. Gao, Q. Luo, P. R. Young, and Q. Li, "Wideband loop antenna with electronically switchable circular polarization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 242-245, 2016.
14. SMP1345 Series: Very Low Capacitance, Plastic Packaged Silicon PIN Diodes, Skyworks Solutions, Inc.
15. Plourde, J. K. and C. L. Ren, "Application of dielectric resonators in microwave components," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 8, 754-770, August 1981.
16. Plourde, J. K. and C. L. Ren, "Application of dielectric resonators in microwave components," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 8, 754-770, August 1981.
16. Chauhan, M., A. K. Pandey, and B. Mukherjee, "A novel compact cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna for wireless sensor network application," EEE Sensors Letters, Vol. 2, No. 2, 1-4, 2018.
17. Farzami, F., S. Khaledian, B. Smida, and D. Erricolo, "Reconfigurable linear/circular polarization rectangular waveguide filtenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 1, 9-15, 2017.
18. Le, T. T., H. Y. Park, and T. Y. Yun, "Simple reconfigurable circularly polarized antenna at three bands," Sensors, Vol. 19, No. 10, 2316, 2019.
19. Sinah, A. and C. E. Saavedra, "Four-element polarization-reconfigurable MIMO antenna using fluidics," 2020 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and North American Radio Science Meeting, 1849-1850, July 2020.
20. Elgiddawy, S., H. A. Malhat, S. H. Zainud-Deen, A. A. Ibrahim, and H. Hamed, "Compact reconfigurable polarization plasma square microstrip patch MIMO antenna for 5G wireless applications," IEEE in 2021 38th National Radio Science Conference (NRSC), Vol. 1, 88-95, July 2021.
21. Panahi, A., X. L. Bao, K. Yang, O. O'Conchubhair, and M. J. Ammann, "A simple polarization reconfigurable printed monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 11, 5129-5134, 2015.
22. Liao, Y. J. and H. L. Lin, "Polarization reconfigurable eccentric annular ring slot antenna design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 9, 4152-4155, 2015.
23. McMichael, I. T., "A mechanically reconfigurable patch antenna with polarization diversity," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 7, 1186-1189, 2018.
24. Begum, H., X. Wang, and M. Lu, "A polarization-reconfigurable microstrip antenna design based on parasitic pin loading," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), 135-137, January 2017.