A novel layout method of receiving antenna array, which is a sparse random circular aperture array (SRCAA), to raise the power transmission efficiency (PTE) for microwave power transmission (MPT) is proposed in this paper. Different from the conventional antenna array layout, the array element positions of the SRCAA are randomly and uniformly distributed in the circular region. At present, the receiving array mostly adopts the form of uniform full array in the MPT system, and most researches focus on the antenna unit itself to raise the PTE rather than the array layout. In this paper, the initial array is obtained by randomly scattering points in the fixed area, and then the array element position is optimized by the algorithm to maximize the PTE between the transmitter (Tx) and receiver (Rx) of the MPT system. At the same time, the random array element position also plays a significant role in the uniformity of the received power of the receiving array. Therefore, this paper proposes a new index to measure the performance of the receiving array. In order to verify the effective performance of the SRCAA, we carried out a series of numerical simulations. Numerical simulation results show that the SRCAA, as a high-performance and low-cost receiving array, is more suitable for the receiving array of the MPT system than the traditional uniform array.
2. Shidujaman, M., H. Samani, and M. Arif, "Wireless power transmission trends," International Conference on Informatics, Dhaka, Bangladesh, March 2014.
3. Takeno, K. and Kazuhiko, "Wireless power transmission technology for mobile devices," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 10, No. 21, 1-11, 2013.
4. Matsumoto, H., "Space solar power station (SSPS) and microwave power transmission (MPT)," IEEE Topical Conference on Wireless Communication Technology, 6, Kyoto, Japan, November 2003.
5. Sasaki, S., K. Tanaka, and K. Maki, "Microwave power transmission technologies for solar power satellites," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 101, No. 6, 1438-1447, 2013.
6. Qiang, C., C. Xing, and F. Pan, "A comparative study of space transmission efficiency for the microwave wireless power transmission," 2015 IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1-3, Nanjing, China, December 2016.
7. Takahashi, T., et al., "Phased array system for high efficiency and high accuracy microwave power transmission," IEEE International Symposium on Phased Array Systems & Technology, Waltham, MA, January 2017.
8. Brown, W. C. and E. E. Eves, "Beamed microwave power transmission and its application to space," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 40, No. 6, 1239-1250, 1992.
9. Zhang, S., et al., "Aperture amplitude field integrated design of receiving and transmitting antenna for microwave power transmission," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 7, 1216-1220, 2020.
10. Wan, S. and K. Huang, "Methods for improving the transmission-conversion efficiency from transmitting antenna to rectenna array in microwave power transmission," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 4, 538-542, 2018.
11. Nepa, P. and A. Buffi, "Near-field-focused microwave antennas: Near-field shaping and implementation," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 59, No. 3, 42-53, 2017.
12. Song, C. M., et al., "Analysis of received power in RF wireless power transfer system with array antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 76315-76324, 2021.
13. Massa, A., et al., "Array designs for long-distance wireless power transmission - State-of-the-art and innovative solutions," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 101, No. 6, 1464-1481, 2013.
14. Diamond, B. L., "A generalized approach to the analysis of infinite planar array antennas," Proceedings of IEEE, Vol. 56, 1837-1851, 1968.
15. Stark, L., "Microwave theory of phased array antenna - A review," Proceedings of IEEE, Vol. 62, 1661-1701, 1974.
16. Shinohara, N., Wireless Power Transfer via Radio Waves, ISTE Ltd. and John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2014.
17. Li., J., J. Pan, and X. Li, "A novel synthesis method of sparse nonuniform-amplitude concentric ring arrays for microwave power transmission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 107, 1-15, 2020.
18. Rahardjo, E. T., E. Sandi, and F. Y. Zulkifli, "Design of linear sparse array based on the Taylor line source distribution element spacing," 2017 IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 61-64, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, November 2017.
19. Zinka, S. R. and J. P. Kim, "On the generalization of taylor and bayliss n-bar array distributions," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 1152-1157, 2011.
20. Oliveri, G., L. Poli, and A. Massa, "Maximum efficiency beam synthesis of radiating planar arrays for wireless power transmission," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 5, 2490-2499, 2013.
21. Bui-Van, H., et al., "On the maximum absorbed power in receiving antenna arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 3, 1993-1995, 2019.
22. Kojima, S., N. Shinohara, and T. Mitani, "Synthesis loss in receiving array antennas and transmission efficiency in the Fresnel region," Wireless Power Transfer, Vol. 4, No. 2, 120-131, 2017.