We present a parametric analysis for a compact notch filter based on meta-material elements, suitable for the mitigation of interferences occurring at 5.9 GHz and impacting a 5.8 GHz DSRC receiver. The filter adopts a defected ground plane structure, which is derived by the class of complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) structures and further developed to improve the selectivity. The designed filter preserves the 5.8 GHz DSRC signal and attenuates the 5.9 GHz ITS-G5 signal of more than 20 dB, thus suited to improve dynamic range of DSRC vehicular receivers. This work introduces the new filter structure characteristics, its design principles, and the corresponding experimental validation.
Alessandro CidronaliGiovanni CollodiStefano MaddioLorenzo PagniniMarco PassafiumeGiuseppe Pelosi
, "A Parametric Analysis of Modified Complementary Split Ring Resonator Low-Pass Notch Filter Suitable for the Coexistence of 5.8 GHz
DSRC and 5.9 GHz
ITS Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 108, 17-26, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM21121304 http://www.jpier.org/PIERM/pier.php?paper=21121304
1. Aigner, R., C. MacKenzie, and A. Zajac, "Advanced RF filters for V2V and other automotive applications,", 2016 [Online], Qorvo Inc White Paper, url: https://www.qorvo.com/resources/d/advanced-rf-filters-for-v2v-and-automotive-white-paper. doi:10.1109/MMM.2016.2600949
2. Cidronali, A., S. Maddio, M. Passafiume, and G. Manes, "Car talk: Technologies for vehicle-to-roadside communications," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 17, No. 11, 40-60, 2016. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2014.2387841
3. Maddio, S., A. Cidronali, and G. Manes, "Real-time adaptive transmitter leakage cancelling in 5.8 GHz full-duplex transceivers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, No. 2, 509-519, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL18111302
4. Liu, J., W. Ding, J. Chen, and A. Zhang, "New ultra-wideband filter with sharp notched band using defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 83, 99-105, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC13031505
5. Ghazali, A. N. and S. Pal, "UWB-BPF with application based triple notches and suppressed stopband," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 39, 149-163, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL21091301
6. Soundarya, G. and N. Gunavathi, "Compact dual-band SIW bandpass filter using CSRR and DGS structure resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 101, 79-87, 2021. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845211
7. Baena, J. D., et al., "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, 2005.
8. Breed, G., "An introduction to defected ground structures in microstrip circuits," High Frequency Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 11, 50-54, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.880691
9. Guha, D., S. Biswas, M. Biswas, J. Y. Siddiqui, and Y. M. Antar, "Concentric ring-shaped defected ground structures for microstrip applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 402-405, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.861664
10. Bonache, J., I. Gil, J. Garcia-Garcia, and F. Martin, "Novel microstrip bandpass filters based on complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 1, 265-271, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIERL19110502
11. Hu, S., Y. Gao, X. Zhang, and B. Zhou, "Design of a compact 5.7-5.9 GHz filter based on CRLH resonator units," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 89, 141-149, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC15041904
12. Sassi, I., L. Talbi, and K. Hettak, "Compact multi-band filter based on multi-ring complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 57, 127-135, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERM19021303
13. Mousavi, O., A. R. Eskandari, M. M. R. Kashani, and M. A. Shameli, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with two notched bands using SISLR and DMS structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 80, 193-201, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERL11120206
14. Shen, Y. Z. and C. L. Law, "5.8-GHz suppressed UWB bandpass filter EM-ploying modified CRLH-TL of two and three unit cell," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 29, 107-113, 2012.