In this article, a compact Coplanar Waveguide (CPW) fed band-notched monopole antenna is designed and optimized. The unique feature of this article is to provide an approach for designing an antenna in the best way using machine learning techniques. Machine Learning can be used to speed up the antenna design process. There are five algorithms employed: Decision Tree, Random Forest, XGB Regression, K-Nearest Neighbor (KNN), and Artificial Neural Network (ANN). Among all algorithms, KNN gives the best result with accuracy up to 98%. From the obtained result, we can estimate the dimensions of the desired parameters, which could not be done previously by High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) Electromagnetic (EM) simulator. The optimized antenna design is also fabricated and tested, which confirms its frequency range between 2.9 and 21.6 GHz. Stable radiation features in between the operating frequency range makes it suitable for Ultra-Wideband (UWB) applications.
2. Chang, K., H. Kim, and Y. J. Yoon, "Ultra-wideband antenna with improved gain characteristics," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 2, No. 5, 512-517, August 2008.
3. Malekpour, H. and S. Jam, "Enhanced bandwidth of shorted patch antennas using folded-patch techniques," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, 198-201, 2013.
4. Kim, G. H. and T. Y. Yun, "Compact ultrawideband monopole antenna with an inverted-L-shaped coupled strip," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1291-1294, 2013.
5. Chen, S. J., et al., "A compact highly efficient and flexible polymer ultra-wideband antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1207-1210, December 2015.
6. Ranjan, P. and H. Gupta, "Investigation of dual-band rectangular dielectric resonator antenna with DGS for wireless applications," 2021 IEEE Bombay Section Signature Conference (IBSSC), 1-4, 2021.
7. Gautam, A. K., S. Yadav, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A CPW fed compact UWB microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 151-154, 2013.
8. Gao, P., S. He, X. Wei, Z. Xu, N. Wang, and Y. Zheng, "Compact printed UWB diversity slot antenna with 5.5-GHz band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 376-379, 2014.
9. Zhu, F., et al., "Miniaturized tapered slot antenna with signal rejection in 5-6 GHz band using a balun," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 507-510, 2012.
10. Gautam, A. K., Indu, and B. K. Kanaujia, "Dual band-notched rectangular monopole antenna for ultra wideband application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 12, December 2013.
11. Rajeshkumar, V. and S. Raghavan, "Bandwidth enhanced compact fractal antenna for UWB application with 5-6 GHz band rejection," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 607-613, 2015.
12. Devi, M., A. K. Gautam, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A compact ultra wideband antenna with triple band-notch characteristics," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, 2015.
13. Nguyen, D. T., D. H. Lee, and H. C. Park, "Very compact printed triple band-notched UWB antenna with quarter-wavelength slots," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 411-414, December 2012.
14. Wu, Q., Y. Cao, H. Wang, and W. Hong, "Machine-learning-assisted optimization and its application to antenna designs: Opportunities and challenges," China Communications, Vol. 17, No. 4, 152-164, 2020.
15. Wu, Q., W. Chen, C. Yu, H. Wang, and W. Hong, "Multilayer machine learning-assisted optimization-based robust design and its applications to antennas and array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 9, 6052-6057, September 2021.
16. Shi, M., L. Cui, H. Liu, M. Lv, and X. Sun, "A new UWB antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 74, 201-209, 2018.
17. Saed, M. and R. Yadla, "Microstrip-fed low profile and compact dielectric resonator antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 151-162, 2006.
18. Tang, M. C., H. Wang, T. Deng, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Compact planar ultrawideband antennas with continuously tunable, independent band-notched filters," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 3292-3301, 2016.
19. Rezaeieh, S. A. and M. Abbak, "A novel compact antenna enhanced with variable notches," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 946-949, 2012.
20. Sarkar, M., S. Dwari, and A. Daniel, "Compact printed monopole antenna for ultra-wideband application with dual bandnotched characterstic," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 946-949, 2013.
21. Rahman, M., M. Nageshvara Jahromi, S. S. Mirjavadi, and A. M. Hamouda, "Compact UWB band-notched antenna with integrated bluetooth for personal wireless communication and UWB applications," Electronics MDPI, 2019.
22. Sharma, Y., H. H. Zhang, and H. Xin, "Machine learning techniques for optimizing design of double T-shaped monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 7, 5658-5663, 2020.
23. El Misilmani, Hilal M., Tarek Naous, and Salwa K. Al Khatib, "A review on the design and optimization of antennas using machine learning algorithms and techniques," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 10, e22356, 2020.
24. Chauhan, N. S., Decision Tree Algorithm - Explained, towards data science, [Online], Available: https://towardsdatascience.com/decision-tree-algorithm-explained-83beb6e78ef4.
25. Breiman, L., "Random forests," Machine Learning, Vol. 45, No. 1, 5-32, 2001.
26., , Vishal MordeXGBoost Algorithm - Explained, towards data science, [Online], Available: https://towardsdatascience.com/https-medium-com-vishalmorde-xgboost-algorithm-long-she-may-rein-edd9f99be63d.
27. Cui, L., Y. Zhang, R. Zhang, and Q. H. Liu, "A modified efficient KNN method for antenna optimization and design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 10, 6858-6866, October 2020.
28. Sallam, T., A. B. Abdel-Rahman, M. Alghoniemy, Z. Kawasaki, and T. Ushio, "A neural-network-based beamformer for phased array weather radar," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 54, No. 9, 5095-5104, September 2016.
29. Wang, J. R., W. J. Liu, and M. S. Tong, "An artificial neural network based design of triple-band microstrip patch antenna for WLAN applications," 2020 IEEE MTT-S International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic and Multiphysics Modeling and Optimization (NEMO), 1-4, 2020.
30., , Training and Test Sets: Splitting Data. Machine Learning Crash Course, [Online], Available: https://developers.google.com/machine-learning/crash-course/training-and-test-sets/splitting-data.