A linear-to-linear cross-polarization converter (CPC) based on metasurface (MS) is proposed. The converter is polarization insensitive and has two wide bands. The MS is composed of periodical unit cells printed on a substrate. The top and bottom MS unit cells are formed with four groups of right-angle triangle pairs whose vertices are connected. Thus, there are eight pairs of triangles on the top and bottom surfaces of the substrate, and these pairs of triangles are arranged alternately in overlapping and orthogonal ways. Simulated and measured results indicate that the polarization conversion ratio (PCR) of the CPC is higher than 95% in the bands of 9.4 to 13.1 GHz (32.9%) and 13.4 to 17.2 GHz (24.8%). Additionally, the PCR remains the same when the electromagnetic (EM) wave is incident at arbitrary azimuth. Furthermore, the polarization rotation angle and elliptic angle are calculated to verify the conversion effect. Finally, the conversion mechanism of the proposed converter is explored by analyzing the surface current distribution and magnetic field. The proposed converter can be applied to the field of satellite communication in Ku-band.
2. Sun, W. J., Q. He, J. M. Hao, and L. Zhou, "A transparent metamaterial to manipulate electromagnetic wave polarization," Optics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 6, 927-929, 2011.
3. Peng, L., X. F. Li, X. Jiang, and S. M. Li, "A novel THz half-wave polarization converter for cross-polarization conversions of both linear and circular polarizations and polarization conversion ratio regulating," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 36, No. 19, 4250-4258, 2018.
4. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, 2001.
5. Zhu, W. R., X. P. Zhao, and J. Q. Guo, "Multibands of negative refractive indexes in the left-handed metamaterials with multiple dendritic structures," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 92, No. 24, 241116, 2008.
6. Gao, X., X. Han, W. P. Cao, H. O. Li, H. F. Ma, and T. J. Cui, "Ultrawideband and high- efficiency linear polarization converter based on double V-shaped metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 8, 3522-3530, 2015.
7. Chakravarty, S. and D. Mitra, "A novel ultra-wideband and multifunctional reflective polarization converter," 2020 IEEE 17th India Council International Conference (INDICON), 1-4, 2020.
8. Kamal, B., J. Chen, Y. Yin, J. Ren, S. Ullah, and U. Ali, "Design and experimental analysis of dual-band polarization converting metasurface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 20, No. 8, 1409-1413, 2021.
9. Yu, H. and J. Su, "Dual-band and high-efficiency re ective polarization converter based on strip grating," 2020 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and North American Radio Science Meeting, 967-968, 2020.
10. Zhou, Q., G. Du, and D.Wang, "Ultra-broadband linear polarization converter based on single-layer reflective metasurface," 2020 IEEE MTT-S International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic and Multiphysics Modeling and Optimization (NEMO), 1-4, 2020.
11. Karamirad, M., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Metasurfaces for wideband and efficient polarization rotation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 3, 1799-1804, 2021.
12. Baghel, A. K., S. S. Kulkarni, and S. K. Nayak, "Linear-to-cross-polarization transmission converter using ultrathin and smaller periodicity metasurface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 7, 1433-1437, 2019.
13. Wang, S. Y., J. D. Bi, W. Liu, W. Geyi, and S. Gao, "Polarization-insensitive cross-polarization converter," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 8, 4670-4680, 2021.
14. Zhu, X., et al., "Design of a bandwidth-enhanced polarization rotating frequency selective surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 2, 940-944, 2014.
15. Du, X., H. Lin, X. Shi, Y. Mao, and Y. Wu, "Triple-band metamaterial polarization converter based on substrate integrated waveguide technology," 2020 Cross Strait Radio Science & Wireless Technology Conference (CSRSWTC), 1-3, 2020.
16. Ye, Y. Q. and S. L. He, "90◦ polarization rotator using a bilayered chiral metamaterial with giant optical activity," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 96, 203501, 2010.
17. Nandi, R., Nilotpal, and S. Bhattacharyya, "A transmittive type broadband cross polarization converter for mid wavelength infrared region," 2019 URSI Asia-Pacific Radio Science Conference (AP-RASC), 1-4, 2019.
18. Song, K., Y. H. Liu, Q. H. Fu, X. P. Zhao, C. R. Luo, and W. R. Zhu, "90◦ polarization rotator with rotation angle independent of substrate permittivity and incident angles using a composite chiral metamaterial," Opt. Express, Vol. 21, No. 6, 7439-7446, 2013.
19. Jing, X., X. Gui, P. Zhou, and Z. Hong, "Physical explanation of Fabry-Perot cavity for broadband bilayer metamaterials polarization converter," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 36, No. 12, 2322-2327, 2018.