A target detection method based on polarimetric multi-domain feature fusion is proposed in this paper to improve the detection performance of slow small targets on the sea. Firstly, a complex symmetric matrix was established based on the Pauli scattering vector. On the basis of an analysis on the matrix, the Takagi decomposition method was adopted to extract the normalized polarimetric maximum eigenvalue to characterize the echo signal. Secondly, a real symmetric Hurst exponent matrix was constructed by processing the echo signal of the polarimetric radar, and the normalized polarimetric Hurst exponent was extracted by the eigenvalue decomposition method. Thirdly, the normalized polarimetric Doppler peak height was extracted through the Doppler peak height algorithm. Finally, by fusing multi-domain features, a false alarm controllable detector was constructed through the convex hull algorithm. The results of experimental analysis on the measured datasets indicate that when the parameters are the same, compared with the traditional detection methods based on polarimetric features, the proposed method presents better robustness in the case of short observation time and low signal to clutter rate.
2. Weinberg, G. V. and C. Tran, "Burr distribution for X-band maritime surveillance radar clutter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 81, 183-201, 2018.
3. Park, J.-H., D.-H. Kim, D.-H. Kim, and S. Kim, "Variation of the shape parameter of K-distribution for sea clutter with the spatial correlation of sea surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 92, 25-30, 2020.
4. Yang, M., G. Zhang, C. Guo, and M. Sun, "A coarse-to-fine approach for ship detection in SAR image based on CFAR algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 35, 105-111, 2014.
5. Li, Q., H. Zhang, and R. Lai, "Research on analysis of high-order fractal characteristics of aircraft echoes and classification of targets in low-resolution radars," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 75, 61-68, 2018.
6. Liu, N., J. Guan, J. Song, G. Wang, and Y. He, "Application of target detection based on fractal theories," Modern Radar, Vol. 34, No. 2, 12-18, February 2012.
7. Shui, P., D. Li, and S. Xu, "Tri-feature based detection of floating small targets in sea clutter," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 50, No. 2, 1416-1430, April 2014.
8. Xue, C., F. Cao, Q. Sun, J. Qin, and X. Feng, "Sea-surface weak target detection based on multi-feature information fusion," Systems Engineering and Electronics, 2022.
9. Keith, W., T. Robert, and W. Simon, Sea Clutter: Scattering, the K Distribution and Radar Performance, Chapter 2, Publishing House of Electronic Industry, Beijing, China, 2016.
10. Wu, P., J. Wang, and W. Wang, "Small target detection in sea clutter based on polarization characteristics decomposition," Journal of Electronics & Information Technology, Vol. 33, No. 4, 816-822, April 2011.
11. Chen, S., H. Gao, and F. Luo, "Target detection in sea clutter based on combined characteristics of polarization," Journal of Radars, Vol. 9, No. 4, 664-673, August 2020.
12. Xu, S. and J. Pu, "Floating small targets detection in sea clutter based on four-polarization-channels fusion," Journal of Signal Processing, Vol. 33, No. 3, 324-329, March 2017.
13. Haykin, S., "The McMaster IPIX radar sea clutter database,", http://soma.ece.mcmaster.ca/ipix, 2001.
14. Yan, H. and J. Zhou, "Factorizations of complex symmetric matrices and complex skew-symmetric matrices," Journal of Hohai University: Natural Sciences, Vol. 36, No. 2, 283-285, March 2008.
15. Guo, Z. and P. Shui, "Anomaly based sea-surface small target detection using K-nearest neighbor classification," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 56, No. 6, 4947-4964, August 2020.