In this work, a dual circular polarized steering antenna for satellite communications in X band is presented. The antenna consists of printed elements grouped in an array. This terminal works in a frequency band from 7.25 GHz up to 8.4 GHz (15% of bandwidth), where both bands, reception (RX) and transmission (TX) are included simultaneously and Left Handed Circular Polarization (LHCP) and Right Handed Circular Polarization (RHCP) are interchangeable. The antenna is compact, narrow bandwidth and reaches a gain of 16 dBi. It has the capability to steer in elevation to 45°, 75°, 105° and 135° electronically with a butler matrix and 360° in azimuth with a motorized junction.
2. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
3. Vogt, G., "An electronic method for steering the beam and polarization of HF antennas ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 2, 193-200, Mar. 1962.
4. Topalli, K., O. A. Civi, S. Demir, S. Koc, and T. Akin, "A monolithic phased array using 3-bit distributed RF MEMS phase shifters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 2, 270-277, Feb. 2008.
5. Vaccaro, S., D. Llorens del Rio, J. Padilla, and R. Baggen, "Low cost Ku-band electronic steerable array antenna for mobile satellite communications ," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 2362-2366, Apr. 2011.
6. Peng, H.-L., W.-Y. Yin, J.-F. Mao, D. Huo, X. Hang, and L. Zhou, "A compact dual-polarized broadband antenna with hybrid beam-forming capabilities," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 253-271, 2011.
7. Blass, J., "Multi-directional antenna --- new approach top stacked beams," IRE International Convention Record, 48-50, 1960.
8. Butler, J. and R. Lowe, "Beam-forming matrix simplifies design of electronically scanned antennas," Electronic Design, Vol. 9, 170-173, Apr. 1961.
9. Rao, K. S., G. A. Morin, M. Q. Tang, S. Richard, and K. K. Chan, "Development of a 45 GHz multiple-beam antenna for military satellite communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 43, No. 10, Oct. 1995.
10. Liang, G., W. Gong, H. Liu, and J. Yu, "Development of 61-channel digital beamforming (DBF) transmitter array for mobile satellite communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 177-195, 2009.
11. Walter, C. H., Traveling Wave Antennas, McGraw-Hill, 1965.
12. Hines, J. N., V. H. Rumsey, and C. H. Walter, "Traveling-wave slot antennas," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 41, No. 11, 1624-1631, Nov. 1953.
13. Wang, A.-N. and W.-X. Zhang, "Design and optimization of broadband circularly polarized wide-slot antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 16, 2229-2236, 2009.
14. Chen, D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
15. García-Aguilar, A., J. M. Inclán-Alonso, L. Vigil-Herrero, J. M. Fernández-González, and M. Sierra-Pérez, "Printed antenna for satellite communications," 2010 IEEE International Symposium on Phased Array Systems and Technology, 529-535, Boston, EE.UU., Oct. 2010.
16. Liao, W.-J., S.-H. Chang, Y.-C. Chu, and W.-S. Jhong, "A beam scanning phase array for UHF RFID readers with circularly polarized patches," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2383-2395, 2010.
17. Islam, M. T., M. N. Shakib, and N. Misran, "Design analysis of high gain wideband L-probe fed microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 397-407, 2009.
18. Tang, C. W. and M. G. Chen, "Synthesizing microstrip branch-line couplers with predetermined compact size and bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 9, 1926-1934, Sep. 2007.
19. Garg, R., I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antennas Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.
20. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, IEEE Waves Series, Peter Peregrinus Ltd., 1989.
21. Pozar, D. M. and D. H. Schaubert, Microstrip Antennas: The Analysis and Design of Microstrip Antennas and Arrays, IEEE Press, 1995.
22. Matthaei, G. and L. Young, Microwave Filters, Impedance-Matching Networks, and Coupling Structures, Artech House Publishers, 2000.
23. Expósito-Domínguez, G., P. Padilla-Torre, J. M. Fernández-González, and M. Sierra-Castañer, "Matriz de Butler de Banda Ancha en Banda X para antenas reconfigurables," XXV URSI Spain, Bilbao, Spain, Sep. 2010.
24. Expósito-Domínguez, G., P. Padilla-Torre, J. M. Fernández-González, and M. Sierra-Castañer, "Electronic steering antenna onboard for satellite communications in X band," 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2011), 2120-2123, Rome, Italy, Apr. 2011.
25. Du, S., Q.-X. Chu, and W. Liao, "Dual-band Circularly polarized stacked square microstrip antenna with small frequency ratio," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 11-12, 1599-1608, 2010.