In this paper, synthesis of superconducting circular antennas mounted on circular array is designed by the combination of a method based on particle swarm and full-wave method. Full-wave method is used for computing the resonant frequency, the bandwidth, radiation pattern and efficiency of a perfectly superconducting, or an imperfectly conducting circular microstrip, which is printed on isotropic or uniaxial anisotropic substrate. Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) has been used to obtain the minimum side lobe level (SLL) of circular array, by varying element excitations and/or positions. Numerical results concerning the effect of the parameters of substrate and superconducting patch on the antenna performance are presented and discussed. It is found that superconducting circular antenna could give high efficiency. Also, results show the efficiency of PSO in producing desired radiation characteristics and are in good agreement with previously published data.
"Synthesis of Superconducting Circular Antennas Placed on Circular Array Using a Particle Swarm Optimisation and the Full-Wave Method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 22, 103-119, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10042404
1. Losada, V., R. R. Boix, and M. Horno, "Resonant modes of circular microstrip patches in multilayered substrates," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, 488-497, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.754883
2. Pathad, N., G. K. Mahanti, S. K. Singh, J. K. Mishra, and A. Chakraborty, "Synthesis of thinned planar circular array antennas using modified particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Lettres, Vol. 12, 87-97, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09090606
3. Boeringer, D. W. and D. H.Werner, "Particle swarm optimization versus genetic algorithms for phased array synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 3, 771-779, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.825102
4. Panduro, M. A., C. A. Brizuela, L. I. Balderas, and D. A. Acosta, "A comparison of genetic algorithm and the differential evolution method for the design of scannable circular antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 171-186, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09011308
5. Pantoja, M. F., A. R. Bretones, F. G. Ruiz, S. G. Garcia, and R. G. Martin, "Particle swarm optimization in antenna design: Optimization of log-periodic dipole arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 4, 34-47, 2007. doi:10.1109/MAP.2007.4385594
6. Khodier, M. and M. Al-Aqeel, "Linear and circular array optimization: A study using particle swarm intelligence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 347-373, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09033101
7. Chew, W. C. and J. A. Kong, "Resonance of non axial symmetric modes in circular micro strip disk," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 21, No. 10, 2590-2598, 1980. doi:10.1063/1.524366
8. Barkat, O. and A. Benghalia, "Radiation and resonant frequency of superconducting annular ring microstrip antenna on uniaxial anisotropic media," Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 30, No. 10, 1053-1066, Springer, 2009. doi:10.1007/s10762-009-9526-2
9. Cai, Z. and J. Bornemann, "Generalized spectral domain analysis for multilayered complex media and high Tc superconductor application ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques , Vol. 40, No. 12, 2251-2257, 1992. doi:10.1109/22.179887
10. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Peter Peregrinus Ltd., London, 1989.
11. Bray, M. G., D. H. Wener, D. W. Boeringer, and D. W. Machuya, "Optimization of thinned aperiodic linear phased arrays using genetic algorithms to reduce grating lobes during scanning ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 12, 1732-1742, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.807947
12. Kennedy, J. and R. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Neural Networks, 1942-1948, 1995. doi:10.1109/ICNN.1995.488968
13. Mahmoud, K. R., M. Al-Adawy, and S. M. M. Ibrahem, "A comparison between circular and hexagonal array geometries for smart antennas systems using particle swarm optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 75-90, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07030904
14. Richard, M. A., K. B. Bhasin, and P. C. Clapsy, "Superconducting microstrip antennas: An experimental comparison of two feeding methods," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, 967-974, 1993. doi:10.1109/8.237630
15. Hansen, R. C., Electrically Small, Superdirective, and Superconducting Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2006.
16. Panduro, M. A, A. L. Mendez, G. Romero, and R. F. Dominguez, "Design of non uniform circular antenna arrays for side lobe reduction using the method of genetic algorithms," Vehicular Technology Conference VTC, Vol. 6, 2696-2700, 2006.