This paper presents a design of microstrip transmitting and receiving antennas to be used for time reversal ultra-wideband imaging applications. The transmitter and receiver arrays are together known as a time reversal mirror (TRM). Based on the properties of time reversal and its imaging applications, an antipodal Vivaldi antenna and a monopole antenna are proposed for the transmitter and receiver designs, respectively. Simulation and measurement results demonstrate the efficiency of the antennas for a time reversal mirror. The overall system is demonstrated for source and target imaging applications.
Edward J. Rothwell,
"Design of a Microwave Time Reversal Mirror for Imaging Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 77, 155-165, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17051805
1. Thomas, J.-L. and M. A. Fink, "Ultrasonic beam focusing through tissue inhomogeneities with a time reversal mirror: application to transskull therapy," IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelect., Freq. Control, Vol. 43, No. 6, 1122-1129, Nov. 1996. doi:10.1109/58.542055
2. Lerosey, G., J. De Rosny, A. Tourin, A. Derode, G. Montaldo, and M. Fink, "Time reversal of electromagnetic waves," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 92, No. 19, 193904, 2004. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.92.193904
3. Zhang, W., A. Hoorfar, and L. Li, "Through-the-wall target localization with time reversal music method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 75-89, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10052408
4. Rodrıguez, S., N. Lei, B. Crowgey, L. Udpa, and S. S. Udpa, "Time reversal and microwave techniques for solving inverse problem in non-destructive evaluation," NDT & E Intl., Vol. 62, 106-114, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.ndteint.2013.11.003
5. Devaney, A. J., E. A. Marengo, and F. K. Gruber, "Time-reversal-based imaging and inverse scattering of multiply scattering point targets," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 118, No. 5, 3129-3138, 2005. doi:10.1121/1.2042987
6. Wiesbeck, W., G. Adamiuk, and C. Sturm, "Basic properties and design principles of UWB antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 372-385, 2009. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2008.2008838
7. Lim, K.-S., M. Nagalingam, and C.-P. Tan, "Design and construction of microstrip UWB antenna with time domain analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 3, 153-164, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERM08051903
8. Nadia Maaref, P. M., X. Ferri`eres, C. Pichot, and O. Picon, "Electromagnetic imaging method based on time reversal processing applied to through-the-wall target localization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 1, 59-67, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERM08013002
9. Crowgey, B. R., E. J. Rothwell, L. C. Kempel, and E. L. Mokole, "Comparison of UWB short-pulse and stepped-frequency radar systems for imaging through barriers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 403-419, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10091306
10. Fink, M., "Time reversal of ultrasonic fields. i. basic principles," IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelect., Freq. Control., Vol. 39, No. 5, 555-566, 1992. doi:10.1109/58.156174
11. Kosmas, P. and C. M. Rappaport, "FDTD-based time reversal for microwave breast cancer detection-localization in three dimensions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1921-1927, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.871994
12. Gibson, P. J., "The Vivaldi aerial," 9th European Microwave Conference, 101-105, IEEE, 1979.
13. Gazit, E., "Improved design of the Vivaldi antenna," IEE Proceedings H (Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation), Vol. 135, 89-92, IET, 1988. doi:10.1049/ip-h-2.1988.0020
14. Kota, K. and L. Shafai, "Gain and radiation pattern enhancement of balanced antipodal Vivaldi antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 5, 303-304, 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2010.7579
15. Wang, P., H. Zhang, G.Wen, and Y. Sun, "Design of modified 6–18 GHz balanced antipodal Vivaldi antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 25, 271-285, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11101202
16. Balanis, C. A., Modern Antenna Handbook, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
17. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2016.
18. Greenberg, M. C., K. L. Virga, and C. L. Hammond, "Performance characteristics of the dual exponentially tapered slot antenna (detsa) for wireless communications applications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 52, No. 2, 305-312, 2003. doi:10.1109/TVT.2003.808796
19. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of ultrawideband planar monopole antennas of circular and elliptical shape," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 1, 17-23, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.912946
20. Mukherjee, S., L. Udpa, S. Udpa, and E. Rothwell, "Target localization using microwave time reversal mirror in reflection mode," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 2, 820-828, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2627011