A new method for obtaining an orthogonal system of eigenwaves of an open cylindrical waveguide filled with a gyrotropic medium and located in free space is presented. The advantage of the method is that it enables one to explicitly represent the fields of eigenwaves, which correspond to the discrete and continuous parts of the eigenvalue spectrum of such a guiding structure. Orthogonality relations for the eigenwaves and the procedure of expanding an electromagnetic field in terms of these modal solutions are discussed. The limiting transition from the case of a closed cylindrical waveguide with a perfectly conducting wall and a coaxial cylindrical gyrotropic core to the case of an open waveguide is considered. To illustrate the completeness of the obtained system of eigenwaves, a given field is expanded in terms of the found discrete- and continuous-spectrum waves and then resynthesized by evaluating the corresponding expansion numerically. Perfect coincidence between the initially specified field and the result yielded by this evaluation is demonstrated.
Vasiliy A. Es'kin,
Alexander V. Kudrin,
Nadezhda V. Yurasova,
"Orthogonal System of Eigenwaves of an Open Cylindrical Gyrotropic Waveguide Located in Free Space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 92, 91-107, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERB21031003
1. Lord Rayleigh, J. W., The Theory of Sound, Macmillan, London, 1894.
2. Sommerfeld, A., "Ueber die fortpflanzung elektrodynamischer wellen langs eines drahtes," Ann. Phys. Chem., Vol. 303, No. 2, 233-290, 1899. doi:10.1002/andp.18993030202
3. Hondros, D. and P. Debye, "Elektromagnetische wellen an dielektrischen drahten," Ann. Phys., Vol. 337, No. 8, 465-476, 1910. doi:10.1002/andp.19103370802
4. Marcuvitz, N., "On field representations in terms of leaky modes or eigenmodes," IRE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 3, 192-194, 1956. doi:10.1109/TAP.1956.1144410
5. Angulo, C. and W. Chang, "A variational expression for the terminal admittance of a semi-infinite dielectric rod," IRE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 7, No. 3, 207-212, 1959. doi:10.1109/TAP.1959.1144673
6. Shevchenko, V. V., Continuous Transitions in Open Waveguides, Golem Press, Boulder, 1971.
7. Manenkov, A. B., "The excitation of open homogeneous waveguides," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 13, No. 5, 578-586, 1970. doi:10.1007/BF01030694
10. Manenkov, A. B., "Propagation of waves in open waveguides with anisotropic dielectrics," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 24, No. 1, 60-69, 1981. doi:10.1007/BF01034355
11. Manenkov, A. B., "Irregular magneto-optical waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 29, No. 9, 906-910, 1981. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1981.1130472
12. Uzunoglu, N. K., P. G. Cottis, and J. G. Fikioris, "Excitation of electromagnetic waves in a gyroelectric cylinder," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 33, No. 1, 90-95, 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143471
13. Kudrin, A. V., V. A. Es’kin, C. Krafft, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Whistler wave excitation by a loop antenna in a bounded collisional magnetoplasma," Phys. Scr., Vol. 77, No. 5, 055501, 2008. doi:10.1088/0031-8949/77/05/055501
15. Snyder, A. W., "Continuous mode spectrum of a circular dielectric rod," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 19, No. 8, 720-727, 1971. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1971.1127613
16. Tigelis, I., C. N. Capsalis, and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Computation of the dielectric rod waveguide radiation modes," Int. J. Infrared Millim. Waves, Vol. 8, No. 9, 1053-1068, 1987. doi:10.1007/BF01010811
17. Manenkov, A. B., "Orthogonality relations for the eigenmodes of lossy anisotropic waveguides (fibres)," IEE Proc. J, Vol. 140, No. 3, 206-212, 1993.
18. Kondrat’ev, I. G., A. V. Kudrin, and T. M. Zaboronkova, Electrodynamics of Density Ducts in Magnetized Plasmas, Gordon and Breach, Amsterdam, 1999.
19. Kostrov, A. V., A. V. Kudrin, L. E. Kurina, G. A. Luchinin, A. A. Shaykin, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Whistlers in thermally generated ducts with enhanced plasma density: Excitation and propagation," Phys. Scr., Vol. 62, No. 1, 51-65, 2000. doi:10.1238/Physica.Regular.062a00051
20. Zaboronkova, T. M., A. V. Kudrin, and M. Yu. Lyakh, "Excitation of nonsymmetric waves by given sources in a magnetoplasma in the presence of a cylindrical plasma channel," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 46, No. 5–6, 407-424, 2003. doi:10.1023/A:1026371902173
21. Boswell, R. W. and F. F. Chen, "Helicons — The early years," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 25, No. 6, 1229-1244, 1997. doi:10.1109/27.650898
22. Chen, F. F. and R. W. Boswell, "Helicons — The past decade," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 25, No. 6, 1245-1257, 1997. doi:10.1109/27.650899
23. Arnush, D., "The role of Trivelpiece-Gould waves in antenna coupling to helicon waves," Phys. Plasmas, Vol. 7, No. 7, 3042-3050, 2000. doi:10.1063/1.874157
24. Gurevich, A. G. and G. A. Melkov, Magnetization Oscillations and Waves, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1996.
25. Kudrin, A. V., E. Yu. Petrov, G. A. Kyriacou, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Electromagnetic radiation from sources embedded in a cylindrically stratified unbounded gyrotropic medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 12, 297-331, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08120503
26. Es’kin, V. A. and A. V. Kudrin, "Diffraction of an electromagnetic vortex Bessel beam by the end of a semi-infinite magnetized plasma cylinder," 2017 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium — Spring (PIERS), 1372-1379, St. Petersburg, Russia, May 22–25, 2017.
27. Es’kin, V. A. and A. V. Kudrin, "Diffraction of an electromagnetic Laguerre-Gaussian beam by the end of a semi-infinite gyrotropic cylinder," 2019 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), 133-138, Granada, Spain, September 9–13, 2019.
28. Ginzburg, V. L., The Propagation of Electromagnetic Waves in Plasmas, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1970.
30. Abramowitz, M., I. A. Stegun, and eds., Handbook of Mathematical Functions, with Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables, Dover, Mineola, 1974.
31. Shevchenko, V. V., "On the completeness of spectral expansion of the electromagnetic field in the set of dielectric circular rod waveguide eigenwaves," Radio Sci., Vol. 17, No. 1, 229-231, 1982. doi:10.1029/RS017i001p00229