In this paper, we introduce a first order accurate resonance model based on a second order Padé approximation of the reflection coefficient of a narrowband antenna. The resonance model is characterized by its Q factor, given by the frequency derivative of the reflection coefficient. The Bode-Fano matching theory is used to determine the bandwidth of the resonance model and it is shown that it also determines the bandwidth of the antenna for sufficiently narrow bandwidths. The bandwidth is expressed in the Q factor of the resonance model and the threshold limit on the reflection coefficient. Spherical vector modes are used to illustrate the results. Finally, we demonstrate the fundamental difficulty of finding a simple relation between the Q of the resonance model, and the classical Q defined as the quotient between the stored and radiated energies, even though there is usually a close resemblance between these entities for many real antennas.
2. Chu, L. J., "Physical limitations of omni-directional antennas," Appl. Phys., Vol. 19, 1163-1175, 1948.
3. Collin, R. E. and S. Rothschild, "Evaluation of antenna Q," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 12, No. 1, 23-27, 1964.
4. Fano, R. M., "Theoretical limitations on the broadband matching of arbitrary impedances," Journal of the Franklin Institute, Vol. 249, 57-83, 1950.
5. Gustafsson, M. and S. Nordebo, "On the spectral efficiency of a sphere," Tech.Rep.LUTEDX/(TEAT-7127)/1-24/(2004), 1-24, 2004.
6. Hansen, R. C., "Fundamental limitations in antennas," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 69, No. 2, 170-182, 1981.
7. Harrington, R. F., Time Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1961.
8. Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, second ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1975.
9. Newton, R. G., Scattering Theory of Waves and Particles, second ed., Dover Publications, New York, 2002.
10. Petersan, P. J. and S. M. Anlage, "Measurement of resonant frequency and quality factor of microwave resonators: Comparison of methods," Appl. Phys., Vol. 84, No. 6, 3392-3402, 1998.
11. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1998.
12. Vassiliadis, A. and R. L. Tanner, "Evaluating the impedance broadbanding potential of antennas," IRE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 3, 226-231, 1958.
13. Willson, A. N. and H. J. Orchard, "Insights into digital fillters made as the sum of two allpass functions," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems I: Fundamental theory and applications, Vol. 42, No. 3, 129-137, 1995.
14. Yaghjian, A. D. and S. R. Best, "Impedance, bandwidth, and Q of antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1298-1324, 2005.