The coupled mode approach is applied to the ferrite circular waveguide magnetized through a rotary four-pole transverse bias magnetic fields. The plausible mathematical model of the ferrite waves propagation in the guide is developed which includes gyromagnetic interaction of two orthogonal TE11 isotropic modes. The importance of the birefringence effect in determining of phase shift and polarization phenomena are thereby demonstrated. As a result basic design consideration of the circular polarizer applied as a "half-wave plate" in rotary-field phase shifter are provided.
2. Boyd, C. R. and Jr., Design of ferrite differential phase shift section, IEEE MTT-S Int. Symposium Digest, 240-242, 1975.
3. Boyd, C. R. and Jr., "Microwave phase shift using ferrite-filled waveguide below cutoff," IEEE Trans on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. MTT-13, No. 9, 652-665, 1965.
4. Oness, C. M., W. E. Hord, and C. R. Boyd, Jr., Medium power S-band rotary field ferrite phase shifter, IEEE MTT-S Int. Symposium Digest, 539-542, 1986.
5. Boyd, C. R., Jr. and C. M. Oness, Ferrite rotary-field phase shifters with reduced cross-section, IEEE MTT-S Int. Symposium Digest, 539-542, 1990.
6. Awai, I. and T. Itoh, "Coupled-mode theory analysis of distributed nonreciprocal structures," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. MTT-29, No. 10, 1077-1086, 1981.
7. Mazur, J., M. Mazur, A. Kosiedowski, and E. S Ì§edekM. Mazur, A. Kosiedowski, and E. S Ì§edek, ``Propagation in a ferrite cylindrical waveguide magnetized by a two four-pole magnetic fields, '' Conference Proceeding MIKON'', Conference Proceeding ``MIKON, Vol. 1, 17-19, 2004.
8. Baden-Fuller, A. J., Ferrites at Microwave Frequencies, Ch. 4, Peter Pereginus Ltd, 1987.
9. Stutzman, W. L., Polarization in Electromagnetic Systems, Ch. 3, Artech House Inc., 1993.