This paper presented a novel dual band transmitter which operates as power amplifier or frequency doubler with the stop band characteristic of defected ground structure (DGS). It works as a power amplifier at 2.4GHz which satisfies the 802.11b/g wireless LAN standard or performs as an active frequency doubler at 6.8GHz which depends on the input frequency and. The equivalent circuit and the stop band characteristic of the proposed microstrip DGS are analyzed and simulated. For the proposed transmitter, second harmonic suppression is below -52.6dBc in the amplifier mode, and fundamental suppression is below -41dBc in the frequency doubler mode with the stop band characteristic of DGS. The designed transmitter used GaAs InGaP Heterojunction broadband MMIC. It achieves 13.7dBm of P1dB and its gain is 16.5dB in amplifier mode, and its maximum output power is 7.8dBm at 6.8GHz in frequency double mode.
2. Zhang, P., L. Der, D. Guo, I. Sever, T. Bourdi, C. Lam, A. Zolfaghari, J. Chen, D. Gambetta, B. Cheng, S. Gowder, S. Hart, L. Hu, T. Nguyen, and B. Razavi, "A single-chip dual-band direct-conversion IEEE 802.11a/b/g WLAN transceiver in 0.18-μm CMOS," IEEE J. Solid State Circuits, Vol. 40, 1932-1937, 2005.
3. Xu, Z., S. Jiang, Y. Wu, H.-Y. Jian, G. Chu, K. Ku, P. Wang, N. Tran, Q. Gu, M.-Z. Lai, C. Chien, M. F. Chang, and P. D. Chow, "A compact dual-band direct-conversion CMOS transceiver for 802.11a/b/g wlan," Dig. Tech. Pap. IEEE Int. Solid State Circuits Conf., Vol. 48, 68-69, 2005.
4. Kang, S. M., S. W. Nam, and K. H. Koo, "Adaptive linearization of frequency doubler using DGS," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 1225-1228, 2007.
5. Klepser, B.-U., M. Punzenberger, T. Ruhlicke, and M. Zannoth, "5-GHz and 2.4-GHz dual-band RF-transceiver for WLAN 802.11a/b/g applications," IEEE Radio Freq. Integrated Circuits Symp. RFIC Dig. Tech. Pap., 37-40, 2003.
6. Deng, J., M. Chew, S. Vora, M. Cassia, T. Marra, K. Sahota, and V. Aparin, "A dual-band high efficiency CMOS transmitter for wireless CDMA applications," IEEE Radio Freq. Integrated Circuits Symp., 25-28, 2007.
8. Zhao, L.-P., X. Zhai, B. Wu, T. Su, W. Xue, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel design of dual-mode bandpass filter using rectangle structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 131-141, 2008.
9. Ghorbaninejad, H. and M. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, "Compact bandpass filters utilizing dielectric filled waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 105-115, 2008.
10. Wang, X.-H., B.-Z. Wang, and K. J. Chen, "Compact broadband dual-band bandpass filters using slotted ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 151-166, 2008.
11. Srivastava, R., K. B. Thapa, S. Pati, and S. P. Ojha, "Design of photonic band gap filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 225-235, 2008.
12. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, X.-W. Dai, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design of novel dual-band bandpass filter with microstrip meanderloop," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 17-24, 2008.
13. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M. and M. Tayarani, "Miniature planar UWB bandpass filters with circular slots in ground," PIER Letters, Vol. 3, 87-93, 2008.
14. Xiao, J.-K., "Triangular resonator bandpass filter with tunable operation," PIER Letters, Vol. 2, 167-176, 2008.
15. Choi, H.-J., J.-S. Lim, and Y.-C. Jeong, "A new design of Doherty amplifiers using defected ground structure," IEEE Microwave Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, 687-689, 2006.
16. Wang, X.-H., B.-Z. Wang, H. Zhang, and K. J. Chen, "A tunable bandstop resonator based on a compact slotted ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 55, 1912-1917, 2007.
17. Xiao, J. K., S. W. Ma, S. Zhang, and Y. Li, "Novel compact split ring stepped-impedance resonator (SIR) bandpass filters with transmission zeros," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 329-339, 2007.
18. Xiao, J. K. and Y. Li, "Novel compact microstrip square ring bandpass filters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 1817-1826, 2006.
19. Wu, B., B. Li, T. Su, and C. H. Liang, "Equivalent-circuit analysis and lowpass filter design of split-ring resonator DGS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 1943-1953, 2006.
20. Youngcheol, P., R. Melville, R. C. Frye, A. M. C. Min Chen, and J. S. A. K. J. S. Kenney, "Dual-band transmitters using digitally predistorted frequency multipliers for reconfigurable radios," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 115-122, 2005.