A filtering lens for conical horns based on Metamaterials is presented. The paper focuses on a millimeter wave application. The metamaterial structure is composed of a printed layer of Split Ring Resonators (SRRs) on a substrate. The structure is used as a superstrate on the horn aperture. When the SRRs are excited, a filter performance arises preventing radiation in the desired frequency bands. Besides the filtering property, also a lens behavior is achieved. In this way larger gain can be achieved in both E and H planes, reducing the 3 dB beamwidth. A 6% -3 dB stop band is achieved from 73.3 GHz to 85.7 GHz. Symmetrisation of the radiation pattern up to 3 dB is accomplished and the focalization effect is achieved by emulating a hyperbolical-plane lens. Thus, a simplified system based on a conical horn can be designed by unifying the filter and lens in one electromagnetic element.
2. Marques, R., F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameters, Wiley Series in Microwave and Optical Engineering, 2008.
3. Herraiz, F. J., L. E. Garcia-Munoz, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Multi-frequency and dual mode patch antennas partially filled with left-handed structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 8, Part 2, 2527-2539, 2008.
4. Herraiz-Martinez, F. J., E. Ugarte-Munoz, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Self-diplexed patch antennas based on metamaterials for RFID Active systems," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Special Issue on RFID, accepted for publication.
5. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 78, No. 73-81, 2008 .
6. Si, L. M. and X. Lv, "CPW-fed multi-band omni-directional planar microstrip antenna using composite metamaterial resonators for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 83, No. 133-146, 2008.
7. Castro-Galan, D., L. E. Garcia-Munoz, D. Segovia-Vargas, and V. Gonzalez-Posadas, "Diversity monopulse antenna based on a dual-frequency and dual mode clrh rat-race coupler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 87-106, 2009.
8. Chen, H. T., W. J. Padilla, R. D. Averitt, A. C. Gossard, C. Highstrete, M. Lee, J. F. O'Hara, and A. J. Taylor, "Electromagnetic metamaterials for terahertz applications," Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 1, No. 1, March 2008.
9. Duan, Z. Y., B. I. Wu, S. Xi, H. S. Chen, and M. Chen, "Research progress in reversed cherenkov radiation in double-negative metamaterials ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 90, No. 75-87, 2009.
10. Liu, Y. H. and X. P. Zhao, "Investigation of anisotropic negative permeability medium cover for patch antenna," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 7, 737-744, 2008.
11. Munk, B. A., Frequency Selective Surfaces, John Wiley & Sons, 2000.
12. Huang, M. D. and S. Y. Tan, "Efficient electrically small prolate spheroidal antennas coated with a shell of double-netagive metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 82, No. 241-255, 2008.
13. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials. Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
14. Herraiz, F. J., L. E. Garcia-Munoz, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, D. Segovia-Vargas, D. Gonzalez-Ovejero, and C. Craeye, "Arrays of dual-band printed dipoles loaded with metamaterial particles," Third European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Berlin, March 2009.
15. Wu, B. I. and J. A. Kong, "Experimental confirmation of guidance properties using planar anisotropic left-handed metamaterial slabs based on S-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 84, No. 279-287, 2008.
16. Liu, S. H., C. H. Liang, W. Ding, L. Chen, and W. T. Pan, "Electromagnetic wave propagation through a slab waveguide of uniaxially anisotropic dispersive metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 76, No. 467-475, 2007.
17. Naqvi, Q. A., "Planar slab of chiral nihility metamaterial backed by fractional dual/PEMC interface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 85, No. 381-391, 2008.