A narrowband reflection and/or transmission filter made of heterostructured multilayer with two different ultrathin metallic films is proposed. The multilayer structure is a cascaded system that is formed by using two narrowband reflection-and-transmission filters. Each individual filter is made of an ultrathin metal film in front of a planar Fabry-Perot resonator. Using the transfer matrix method in a stratified system, the optical filtering properties are theoretically investigated and analyzed. It is found that the reflection peak at the design wavelength in the original individual filter becomes a dip in the heterostructured filter. The role played by the stack number of Bragg reflector in the design of narrowband filter is also clearly elucidated.
2. Gamble, R. and P. H. Lissberger, "Reflection filter multilayers of metallic and dielectric thin films," Appl. Opt., Vol. 28, 2838-2846, 1989.
3. Sheng, J.-S. and J.-T. Lue, "Ultraviolet narrow-band rejection filters composed of multiple metal and dielectric layers," Appl. Opt., Vol. 31, 6117-6121, 1992.
4. Tan, M. Q., Y. C. Lin, and D. Z. Zhao, "Reflection filter with high reflectivity and narrow bandwidth," Appl. Opt., Vol. 36, 827-830, 1997.
5. Augustsson, T., "Proposal of a DMUX with a Fabry-Perot all-reflection filter-based MMIMI configuration," IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett., Vol. 13, 215-217, 2001.
6. Sun, X. Z., P. F. Gu, W. D. Shen, X. Liu, Y. Wang, and Y. G. Zhang, "Design and fabrication of a novel reflection filter," Appl. Opt., Vol. 46, 2899-2902, 2007.
7. Shen, W., X. Sun, Y. Zhang, Z. Luo, X. Liu, and P. Gu, "Narrow band filter in both transmission and reflection with metal/dielectric thin films," Optics Comm., Vol. 282, 242-246, 2009.
8. Chang, Y.-H., C.-C. Liu, T.-J. Yang, and C.-J. Wu, "Angular dependent of a narrow band reflection-and-transmission filter containing a ultra thin metallic film," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B: Optical Physics, Vol. 26, 1141-1145, 2009.
9. Wu, C.-J., B.-H. Chu, M.-D. Weng, and H.-L. Lee, "Enhancement of bandwidth in a chirped quarter-wave dielectric mirror," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, 437-447, 2009.
10. Srivastava, R., S. Pati, and S. P. Ojha, "Enhancement of omnidirectional reflection in photonic crystal heterostructure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 197-208, 2008.
11. Wang, X., X. Hu, Y. Li, W. Jia, C. Xu, X. Liu, and J. Zi, "Enlargement of omnidirectional total reflection frequency range in one-dimensional photonic crystals by using photonic heterostructures," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 80, 4291-4293, 2002.
12. Moghimi, M. J., H. Ghafoori-Fard, and A. Rostami, "Analysis and design of all-optical switching in apodized and chirped bragg gratings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 87-102, 2008.
13. Saliminejad, R. and M. R. Ghafouri Fard, "A novel and accurate method for designing dielectric resonator filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 293-306, 2008.
14. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley & Sons, Singapore, 1991.
15. Canto, Joao R., Sergio A. Matos, Carlos R. Paiva, and Afonso M. Barbosa, Effect of losses in a layered structure containing DPS and DNG media, PIERS Online, Vol. 4, No. 5, 546-550, 2008.
16. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, Cambridge, London, 1999.
17. Hecht, E., Optics, Chapter 9, Addison Wesley, New York, 2002.