This paper presents a GPU-based multiresolution shooting and bouncing ray (MSBR) method with the kd-tree acceleration structure for the fast radar cross section (RCS) prediction of electrically large and complex targets. The multiresolution grid algorithm can greatly reduce the total number of ray tubes, as it adaptively adjusts the density of ray tubes for regions with different complexities of their structures, while the kd-tree acceleration structure can highly decrease the number of ray-patch intersection tests. The multiresolution grid technique and kd-tree traversal algorithm are fully implemented on the GPU to further accelerate the SBR by exploiting the massively parallel computing ability. Numerical experiments demonstrate that the proposed GPU-based MSBR can significantly improve the computational efficiency. It is about 40 times faster than the CPU MSBR, and at least 4.8 times faster than the GPU-based SBR without the multiresolution grid algorithm.
2. Park, S. H., K. K. Park, J. H. Jung, H. T. Kim, and K. T. Kim, "Construction of training database based on high frequency RCS prediction methods for ATR," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 5-6, 693-703, 2008.
3. Ling, H., R. C. Chou, and S. W. Lee, "Shooting and bouncing rays: Calculating the RCS of an arbitrarily shaped cavity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 37, No. 2, 194-205, 1989.
4. Jin, K. S., T. I. Suh, S. H. Suk, B. C. Kim, and H. T. Kim, "Fast ray tracing using a space-division algorithm for RCS prediction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 119-126, 2006.
5. Tao, Y.-B., H. Lin, and H. J. Bao, "Kd-tree based fast ray tracing for RCS prediction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 329-341, 2008.
6. Havran, V., "Heuristic ray shooting algorithms,", Ph.D. dissertation, Univ. Czech Technical, Prague, 2000.
7. Suk, S. H., T. I. Seo, H. S. Park, and H. T. Kim, "Multiresolution grid algorithm in the SBR and its application to the RCS calculation," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 6, 394-397, 2001.
8. Bang, J. K., B. C. Kim, S. H. Suk, K. S. Jin, and H. T. Kim, "Time consumption reduction of ray tracing for RCS prediction using e±cient grid division and space division algorithms," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 6, 829-840, 2007.
9. Kim, B.-C., K. K. Park, and H.-T. Kim, "Efficient RCS prediction method using angular division algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 65-74, 2009.
10. Park, K.-K. and H.-T. Kim, "RCS prediction acceleration and reduction of table size for the angular division algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1657-1664, 2009.
11. Owens, J. D., D. Luebke, N. Govindaraju, M. Harris, J. Kruger, A. E. Lefohn, and T. J. Purcell, "A survey of general-purpose computation on graphics hardware," Comput. Graphics Forum, Vol. 26, No. 1, 80-113, 2007.
12. NVIDIA Corporation, NVIDIA CUDA Programming Guide 2.2.1 , http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/ cuda/2 21/too-lkit/docs/NVIDIA CUDA Programming Guide 2.2.1.pdf.
13. Rius, J. M., M. Ferrando, and L. Jofre, "High frequency RCS of complex radar targets in real time," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 41, No. 9, 1308-1318, 1993.
14. Zha, F.-T., S.-X. Gong, Y.-X. Xu, Y. Guan, and W. Jiang, "Fast shadowing technique for electrically large targets using Z-buffer," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 341-349, 2009.
15. Tao, Y. B., H. Lin, and H. J. Bao, "From CPU to GPU: GPU-based electromagnetic computing (GPUECO)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 1-19, 2008.
16. Peng, S. X. and Z. P. Nie, "Acceleration of the method of moments calculations by using graphics processing units," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 7, 2130-2133, 2008.
17. Zainud-Deen, S. H., E. El-Deen, M. S. Ibrahim, K. H. Awadalla, and A. Z. Botros, "Electromagnetic scattering using GPU-based finite difference frequency domain method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 351-369, 2009.
18. Xu, K., Z. H. Fan, D. Z. Ding, and R. S. Chen, "GPU accelerated unconditionally stable Crank-Nicolson FDTD method for the analysis of three-dimensional microwave circuits," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 381-395, 2010.
19. Tao, Y. B., H. Lin, and H. J. Bao, "GPU-based shooting and bouncing ray method for fast RCS prediction," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 2, 494-502, 2010.
20. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, Wiley, New York, 1989.
21. Baldauf, J., S. W. Lee, L. Lin, S. K. Jeng, S. M. Scarborough, and C. L. Yu, "High frequency scattering from trihedral corner reflectors and other benchmark targets: SBR vs. experiments," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, No. 9, 1345-1351, 1991.
22. Goldsmith, J. and J. Salmon, "Automatic creation of object hierarchies for ray tracing," IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 5, 14-20, 1989.
23. Popov, S., J. Gunther, H. P. Seidel, and P. Slusallek, "Stackless kd-tree traversal for high performance GPU ray tracing," Comput. Graphics Forum, Vol. 26, No. 3, 415-424, 2007.
24. Jin, B., I. Ihm, B. Chang, C. Park, W. Lee, and S. Jung, "Selective and adaptive supersampling for real-time ray tracing," Proceedings of the Conference on High Performance Graphics 2009, Vol. 34, No. 10, 1064-1076, 2009.
25. Song, J. M. and W. C. Chew, "Multilevel fast multipole algorithm for solving combined field integral equations of electromagnetic ," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 10, 14-19, 1995.
26. Yang, M.-L. and X.-Q. Sheng, "Parallel high-order FE-BI-MLFMA for scattering by large and deep coated cavities loaded with obstacles," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 13, 1813-1823, 2009.
27. Koujoumijan, R. G. and P. H. Pathak, "A uniform geometrical theory of diffraction for an edge in a perfectly conducting surface," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, 1448-1461, 1974.
28. Johansen, P. M., "Uniform physical theory of diffraction equivalent edge currents for truncated wedge strips," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 7, 989-995, 1996.