Millimeter waves can be used to detect concealed objects because they can penetrate clothing. Therefore, millimeter wave imaging draws increasing attention in security applications for the detection of objects under clothing. In such applications, it is critical to estimate the distances from objects concealed in open spaces. In this paper, we develop a segmentation-based stereo-matching method based on passive millimeter wave imaging to estimate the longitudinal distance from a concealed object. In this method, the concealed object area is segmented and extracted by a k-means algorithm with splitting initialization, which provides an iterative solution for unsupervised learning. The distance from a concealed object is estimated on the basis of discrepancy between corresponding centers of the segmented objects in the image pair. The conventional stereo-matching equation is modied according to the scanning properties of the passive millimeter wave imaging system. We experimentally demonstrate that the proposed method can accurately estimate distances from concealed objects.
2. Mohammad-Taheri, M., M. Fahimnia, Y. Wang, M. Yu, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "Wave analysis for inductively matched millimeter wave amplifier design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 13, 41-50, 2010.
3. Chen, H. M., S. Lee, R. M. Rao, M. A. Slamani, and P. K. Varshney, "Imaging for concealed weapon detection: A tutorial overview of development in imaging sensors and processing," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 22, No. 2, 52-61, 2005.
4. Appleby, R. and R. N. Anderton, "Millimeter-wave and submillimeter-wave imaging for security and surveillance," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 95, No. 8, 1683-1690, 2007.
5. Hung, C.-Y., M.-H. Weng, R.-Y. Yang, and H.-W. Wu, "Design of a compact CMOS bandpass filter for passive millimeter-wave imaging system application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17--18, 2323-2330, 2009.
6. Yujiri, L., M. Shoucri, and P. Moffa, "Passive millimeter-wave imaging," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 4, No. 3, 39-50, 2003.
7. Son, J., V. P. Guschin, A. G. Denisov, S. Yeom, and D. Jung, Comparisons of 3 dimensional temperature distributions of mm and IR images, IEEE Conference on Microwaves, Radar and Remote Sensing Symposium, MRRS'08, 132-135, Kiev, 2008.
8. Zhang, Z. and W.-B. Dou, "A compact THz scanning imaging system based on improved reverse-microscope system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8--9, 1045-1057, 2010.
9. Lee, D., S. Yeom, J. Son, and S. Kim, "Automatic image segmentation for concealed object detection using the expectation-maximization algorithm," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, No. 10, 10659-10667, 2010.
10. Yeom, S., D. Lee, J. Son, M. Jung, Y. Jang, S. Jung, and S. Lee, "Real-time outdoor concealed-object detection with passive millimeter wave imaging," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, No. 3, 2530-2536, 2011.
11. Luthi, T. and C. Matzler, "Stereoscopic passive millimeter-wave imaging and ranging," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2594-2599, 2005.
12. Yeom, S., D. Lee, H. Lee, J. Son, and V. P. Gushin, "Three-dimensional passive millimeter-wave imaging and depth estimation," Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 7690, 76900W, 2010.
13. Gersho, A. and R. M. Gray, Vector Quantization and Signal Compression, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, MA, 1992.