An antenna and an array with photonic bandgap (PBG) structures, which are cylindrical conformal microstrip antennas, both operating in X-band (10.2 GHz) are proposed. As shown in the simulation, PBG structures could suppress the surface wave propagating on substrate and balance the influence of cylindrical curvature at resonance frequency on antennas. The simulation results indicate that they have a higher gain and better directivity over the conventional antenna without PBG structure. Both of the antenna and the array are designed and manufactured, and the measurement results agree well with the simulations.
2. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1997.
3. Wang, Y., Y.-J. Xie, and H. Feng, "Analysis of cylindrically conformal microstrip structures using an iterative method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 87, 215-231, 2008.
4. Yang, P., F. Yang, and Z.-P. Nie, "DOA estimation with sub-array divided technique and interporlated esprit algorithm on a cylindrical conformal array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 201-216, 2010.
5. Li, R., L. Xu, X. W. Shi, L. Chen, and C. Y. Cui, "Two-dimensional NC-music DOA estimation algorithm with a conformal cylindrical antenna array," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5--6, 805-818, 2011.
6. Yuan, N., T. S. Yeo, X. C. Nie, Y. B. Gan, and L. W. Li, "Efficient analysis of probe-fed microstrip antennas on arbitrarily shaped, finite ground plane and substrate," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3A, No. 3--8, 134-137, 2005.
7. Zhang, M., L. W. Li, T. S. Yeo, and M. S. Leong, "Electromagnetic scattering by a multilayer gyrotropic bianisotropic cylinder," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 212-215, 2001.
8. Papakanellos, P. J. and G. Fikioris, "A possible remedy for the oscillations occurring in thin-wire MoM analysis of cylindrical antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 77-92, 2007.
9. Tam, W. Y., A. K. Y. Lai, and K. M. Luk, "Cylindrical rectangular microstrip antennas with coplanar parasitic patches," IEE Proc. Microwave Antennas Propagat., Vol. 142, No. 2, 300-306, 1995.
10. Gao, S., L. W. Li, and A. Sambell, "FDTD analysis of a dual-frequency microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 54, 155-178, 2005.
11. Silva, F. C., S. B. A. Fonseca, A. J. M. Soares, and A. J. Giarola, "Analysis of microstrip antennas on circular cylindrical substrates with a dielectric overlay," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, No. 9, 1398-1404, 1991.
12. Zhang, P.-F., S.-X. Gong, and S. F. Zhao, "Fast hybrid FEM/CRE-UTD method to compute the radiation pattern of antennas on large carriers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 75-84, 2009.
13. Chang, I. and B. Lee, "Design of defected ground structures for harmonic control of active microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 852-855, 2002.
14. Hillebrand, R. and W. Hergert, "Band gap studies of triangular 2D photonic crystals with varying pore roundness," Solid State Communications, Vol. 115, 227-232, 2000.
15. Gonzalo, R., B. Martinez, and M. Sorolla, "Improved patch antenna performance by using photonic bandgap substrates," Microwave Opt. Technol. Let., Vol. 24, 213-215, 2000.
16. Biancotto, C. and P. Record, "Dielectric EBG corner reflector antenna," Journal of ElectroMagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14--15, 2107-2118, 2010.
17. Gupta, S. K. and K. J. Vinoy, "A compact defected ground microstrip device with photonic bandgap effects," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2--3, 255-266, 2009.
18. Masri, T., M. K. A. Rahim, H. A. Majid, O. Ayop, F. Zubir, and M. N. A. Karim, "Electromagnetic band gap structure for planar ultra wide band antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2--3, 229-239, 2010.
19. Horri, Y. and M. Tsutsumi, "Harmonic control by photonic bandgap on microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 9, 13-15, 1999.
20. Qi, L. and X. Zhang, "Photonic band gaps of one-dimensional ternary plasma photonic crystals with periodic and periodic-varying structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 4, 539-552, 2011.
21. Denidni, D. A., N. Hassaine, and Q. Rao, "Broadband high-gain E-shaped microstrip antennas for high-speed wireless networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 1, 105-111, 2008.
22. Row, J. S., "A simple impedance-matching technique for patch antennas fed by coplanar microstrip line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 10, 3389-3391, 2005.
23. Yuan, N., T. S. Yeo, X. C. Nie, and L. W. Li, "A fast analysis of scattering and radiation of large microstrip antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, 2218-2226, 2003.
24. Chair, R., K. M. Lu, and K. F. Lee, "Measurement and analysis of miniature multilayer patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, No. 2, 244-250, 2002.
25. Buonanno, A., M. D'Urso, M. Cicolani, and S. Mosca, "Large phased arrays diagnostic via distributional approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 153-166, 2009.