A novel hydrostatic pressure sensor based on a few mode fiber (FMF) is proposed. The FMF-based hydrostatic pressure sensor is simply formed by splicing a segment of FMF to two segments of single mode fibers, where the FMF is used as the sensing element. The mode interference between LP01 mode and LP11 mode of the FMF provides an interference spectrum of the FMF-based hydrostatic pressure sensor which is sensitive to the hydrostatic pressure applied on the FMF. We experimentally show that there is a linear relationship between the hydrostatic pressure and the wavelength shift of the interference spectrum of the FMF-based hydrostatic pressure sensor.
2. Kersey, A. D., M. A. Davis, H. J. Patrick, M. LeBlanc, K. P. Koo, C. G. Ashins, M. A. Putnam, and E. J. Friebele, "Fiber grating sensors," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 15, 1442-1463, 1997.
3. Culshaw, B., "Optical fiber sensor technologies: Opportunities and-perhaps-pitfalls," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 22, 39-50, 2004.
4. Farahani, M. A. and T. Gogolla, "Spontaneous raman scattering in optical fibers with modulated probe light for distributed temperature raman remote sensing ," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 117, 1379-1391, 1999.
5. Hill, K. O. and G. Meltz, "Fiber bragg grating technology fundamentals and overview," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 5, 1263-1276, 1997.
6. Guan, B.-O., H.-Y. Tam, X.-M. Tao, and X.-Y. Dong, "Simultaneous strain and temperature measurement using a superstructure fiber Bragg grating," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 12, 675-677, 2000.
7. Liu, S. C., Z. W. Yin, L. Zhang, X. F. Chen, L. Gao, and J. C. Cheng, "Dual-wavelength FBG laser sensor based on photonic generation of radio frequency demodulation technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves Applications, Vol. 23, No. 16, 2177-2185, 2009.
8. Lu, H. H., C. H. Lee, K. P. Wen, C. H. Kuo, C. C. Liu, H. B. Wu, and J. S. Shin, "Direct-detection bidirectional radio-on-DWDM transport systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, 875-884, 2009.
9. Ni, J., B. Chen, S. L. Zheng, X. M. Zhang, X. F. Jin, and H. Chi, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with notched band based on electrooptic phase modulator and phase-shift fiber Bragg grating," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 795-802, 2010.
10. Fu, X., C. Cui, and S. C. Chan, "Optically injected semiconductor laser for photonic microwave frequency mixing in radio-over-fiber," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 849-860, 2010.
11. Liu, H.-Q., H.-C. So, K. W. K. Lui, and F. K. W. Chan, "Sensor selection for target tracking in sensor networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 267-282, 2009.
12. Chen, D., G. Hu, M. L. V. Tse, H. Y. Tam, and L. Gao, "Dual-core side-hole fiber for pressure sensing based on intensity detection," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves Application, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 775-784, 2011.
13. Ni, J., X. M. Zhang, S. L. Zheng, X. F. Jin, and H. Chi, "Microwave frequency measurement based on phase modulation to intensity modulation conversion using fiber Bragg grating ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 775-784, 2011.
14. Chen, D., M.-L. V. Tse, C. Wu, G. Hu, and H.-Y. Tam, "Highly birefringent four-hole fiber for pressure sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 145-158, 2011.
15. Wang, B., G. Somesfalean, L. Mei, H. Zhou, C. Yan, and S. He, "Detection of gas concentration by correlation spectroscopy using a multi-wavelength fiber laser," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 469-479, 2011.
16. Sun, N.-H., J.-J. Liau, Y.-W. Kiang, S.-C. Lin, R.-Y. Ro, J.-S. Chiang, and H.-W. Chang, "Numerical analysis of apodized fiber Bragg gratings using coupled mode theory," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 289-306, 2009.
17. He, M., J. Jiang, J. Han, and T. Liu, "An experiment research on extend range of based on fiber Bragg grating demodulation based on cwdm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 115-121, 2009.
18. Bock, W. J. and A. W. Domanski, "Highly hydrostatic pressure effects in highly birefringent optical fibers," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 7, 1279-1283, 1989.
19. Charasse, M. N., M. Turpin, and J. P. Le Pesant, "Dynamic pressure sensing with a side-hole birefringent optical fiber," Opt. Lett., Vol. 16, 1043-1045, 1991.
20. Wang, A., S. He, X. Fang, X. Jin, and J. Lin, "Optical fiber pressure sensor based on photoelasticity and its application," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 10, 466-472, 1992.
21. Clowes, J. R., S. Syngellakis, and M. N. Zervas, "Pressure sensitivity of side-hole optical fiber sensors," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 10, 857-859, 1998.
22. Fu, H. Y., H. Y. Tam, L. Y. Shao, X. Dong, P. K. A. Wai, C. Lu, and S. K. Khijwania, "Pressure sensor realized with polarization-maintaining photonic crystal fiber-based Sagnac interferometer," Appl. Opt., Vol. 47, 2835-2839, 2008.
23. Szczurowski, M. K., T. Martynkien, G. Statkiewicz-Barabach, W. Urbanczyk, and D. J. Webb, "Measurements of polarimentric sensitivity to hydrostatic pressure, strain and temperature in birefringent dual-core microstructured polymer fiber," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, 12076-12087, 2010.
24. Wu, C., B. O. Guan, Z. Wang, and X. Feng, "Characterization of pressure response of Bragg gratings in grapefruit microstructured fibers ," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 28, 1392-1397, 2010.
25. Liu, Y. and L. Wei, "Low-cost high-sensitivity strain and temperature sensing using graded-index multimode fibers," Appl. Opt., Vol. 46, 2516-2519, 2007.