Coupled-line and coupled three-line resonators are proposed to design dual-wideband bandpass filters. Compared with the shorted and open stubs shunt at the same locations of the main line, in addition to saving the circuit area, these resonators provide alternative ways to the design of dual-wideband filters, with larger possible bandwidths and different frequency ratio of the two center passbands. The geometric parameters of the coupled-line and the coupled three-line structures are determined by deriving their equivalent circuits to a shunt open stub in parallel connection with a shunt shorted stub. To extend the upper stopband, a cross-shaped admittance inverter is devised to play the role of the 90-degree transmission line section at the center frequency and to create transmission zeros at the spurious passbands, so that the upper stopband of the filter can be extended. It is a quarter-wave section with two open stubs of unequal lengths shunt at its center. For demonstration, two dual-wideband bandpass filters operating at 900/1575 MHz and 900/2000 MHz are fabricated and measured. Measured results of the experimental circuits show good agreement with simulated responses.
2. Kuo, J.-T. and H.-S. Cheng, "Design of quasi-elliptic function filters with a dual-passband response," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 10, 472-474, 2004.
3. Chiou, Y.-C. and J.-T. Kuo, "Planar multiband bandpass filter with multimode stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 129-144, 2011.
4. Kuo, J.-T., T.-H. Yeh, and C.-C. Yeh, "Design of microstrip bandpass filters with a dual-passband response," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1331-1336, 2005.
5. Ma, D., Z.-Y. Xiao, L. Xiang, X. Wu, C. Huang, and X. Kou, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter using folded SIR with two stubs for WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 357-364, 2011.
6. Chen, C.-Y. and C.-Y. Hsu, "A simple and effective method for microstrip dual-band filters design," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 5, 246-248, 2006.
7. Yang, R.-Y., K. Hon, C.-Y. Hung, and C.-S. Ye, "Design of dual-band bandpass filters using a dual feeding structure and embedded uniform impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 93-102, 2010.
8. Zhang, X. Y., J.-X. Chen, Q. Xue, and S.-M. Li, "Dual-band bandpass filters using stub-loaded resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 8, 583-585, 2007.
9. Mondal, P. and M. K. Mandal, "Design of dual-band bandpass filters using stub-loaded open-loop resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 1, 150-155, 2008.
10. Chen, C.-H., C.-S. Shih, T.-S. Horng, and S.-M. Wu, "Very miniature dual-band and dual-mode bandpass filter designs on an integrated passive device chip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 461-476, 2011.
11. Chen, C.-Y. and C.-C. Lin, "The design and fabrication of a highly compact microstrip dual-band bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 299-307, 2011.
12. Yim, H.-Y. A. and K.-K. M. Cheng, "Novel dual-band planar resonator and admittance inverter for filter design and applications," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 2187-2190, 2005.
13. Liu, A.-S., T.-Y. Huang, and R.-B. Wu, "A dual wideband filter design using frequency mapping and stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 12, 2921-2929, 2008.
14. Kuo, J.-T., M. Jiang, and H.-J. Chang, "Design of parallel-coupled microstrip filters with suppression of spurious resonances using substrate suspension," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 1, 83-89, 2004.
15. Kuo, J.-T., W.-H. Hsu, and W.-T. Huang, "Parallel-coupled microstrip filters with suppression of harmonic response," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 10, 383-385, 2002.
16. Jiang, M., M.-H. Wu, and J.-T. Kuo, "Parallel-coupled microstrip filters with over-coupled stages for multispurious suppression," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 687-690, 2005.
17. Kuo, J.-T. and E. Shih, "Microstrip stepped-impedance resonator bandpass filter with an extended optimal rejection bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 5, 1554-1559, 2003.
18. Kuo, J.-T. and H.-P. Lin, "Dual-band bandpass filter with improved performance in extended upper rejection band," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech. , Vol. 57, No. 4, 824-829, 2009.
19. Mokhtaari, M., K. Rambabu, J. Bornemann, and S. Amari, "Advanced stepped-impedance dual-band filters with wide second stopbands," Proc. Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf., 2285-2288, 2007.
20. Kuo, J.-T., "Accurate quasi-TEM spectral domain analysis of single and multiple coupled microstrip lines of arbitrary metallization thickness," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 43, No. 8, 1881-1888, 1995.
21. Fan, C.-Y., "Dual-wideband bandpass filters with stopband extension,", M.S. thesis, National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan, Jun. 2010.
22. IE3D simulator, Zeland Software Inc., , 2002.