Synthetic Aperture Radar is well known for producing a radar image of the ground, so it can be used for detecting on-the-ground object which is interesting for some applications. A possible application can be Foreign Object Detection (FOD), which is an important issue in aviation safety. A ground-based Circular Bistatic Synthetic Aperture Radar (Circular-BiSAR) is introduced in this paper. The circular movement makes it more practical while the bistatic configuration offers some advantages. Wideband Linear Frequency Modulated (LFM) chirp pulses are employed here, for transmission and reception of reflection pulses to and from the under test object. A simulated model is developed for the system which analyzes the transmitting, receiving, Doppler and LFM signals by considering the distances and movement of antennas. A prototype system is launched, and some experiments are done to detect and localize various objects based on their reflection properties of microwaves. A processing algorithm is proposed in this paper to confirm the detection. The results show that the proposed system can detect and localize on-the ground objects with as small a dimension as 2 cm height and 2 cm diameter located several metres away.
2. Patrick, D. L., P. R. D. Beasley, and Q. Qineti, "Tarsier®, a unique radar for helping to keep debris off airport runways," The IET Seminar on the Future of Civil Radar, 2006.
3. Chang, Y.-L., C.-Y. Chiang, and K.-S. Chen, "SAR image simulation with application to target recognition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 35-57, 2011.
4. Chen, J., J. Gao, Y. Zhu, W. Yang, and P. Wang, "A novel image formation algorithm for high-resolution wide-swath spaceborne SAR using compressed sensing on azimuth displacement phase center antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 527-543, 2012.
5. Zhou, Z.-S., W. M. Boerner, and M. Sato, "Development of a ground-based polarimetric broadband SAR system for noninvasive ground-truth validation in vegetation monitoring," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 42, No. 9, 1803-1810, 2004.
6. Shi, J., X. Zhang, and J. Yang, "Principle and methods on bistatic SAR signal processing via time correlation," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 46, No. 10, 3163-3178, 2008.
7. Cherniakov, M., "Space-surface bistatic synthetic aperture radar - Prospective and problems," RADAR, 2002.
8. Cherniakov, M., Editor, Bistatic Radar: Principles and Practice, John Wiley, Chichester, 2007.
9. Soumekh, M., Synthetic Aperature Radar Signal Processing with MATLAB Algorithms, John Wiley, New York, 1999.
10. Majumder, U., et al., "Synthetic aperture radar moving target indication processing of along-track monopulse nonlinear gotcha data," IEEE Radar Conference, 1-6, May 2009.
11. Yan, W., J.-D. Xu, G. Wei, L. Fu, and H.-B. He, "A fast 3D imaging technique for near-field circular SAR processing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 271-285, 2012.
12. Mohammadpoor, M., R. R. Abdullah, A. Ismail, and A. F. Abas, "A circular synthetic aperture radar for on-the-ground object detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 269-292, 2012.
13. Duersch, M. I., "BYU micro-SAR: A very small, low-power, LFM-CW synthetic aperture radar,", Master's Thesis, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, 2004.
14. Chua, M. Y. and V. C. Koo, "FPGA-based chirp generator for high resolution UAV SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 71-88, 2009.
15. Abdullah, R. R., M. MohammadPoor, A. Ismail, and A. F. Abas, "A multistatic circular synthetic aperture radar for small object detection," IEEE Radar Conference, Kansas City, MO, USA, 2011.
16. Willis, N. J., Bistatic Radar, SciTech Publishing, 2005.
17. O'Donnell, M. J., Airport Foreign Object Debris/Damage (FOD), Federal Aviation Administration, Landover MD., U.S.D.O. Transportation, 2009.
18. Cherniakov, M, et al., "Automatic ground target classification using forward scattering radar," IEE Proceedings - Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 153, No. 5, 427-437, 2006.
19. Sun, J. P., et al., "Extended exact transfer function algorithm for bistatic SAR of translation invariant case," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 89-108, 2009.
20. Huang, N. E. and S. S. Shen, Hilbert-Huang Transform and Its Applications, Vol. 5, World Scientific Pub Co Inc., 2005.
21. Chen, W., R. Chen, and D. Ding, "Application of hilbert-huang transform to MMW doppler radar," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, ICMMT Proceedings, April 21-24, 2008.