The radiation characteristics of dielectric slabs over a transmission waveguide, based on the concept of spoof surface plasmons, are studied in this paper. The proposed structure can be used to control the radiation over a wide band of operation, whilst retaining low Side Lobe Levels (SLLs) and cross-polarization. Leaky modes, broadside radiation and directive beams at fixed angles can all be obtained using various configurations (utilising homogeneous or gradient index dielectric slabs). The proposed antenna design has attractive performance for THz detectors and transmitters.
2. Garcia-Vidal, F., J., L. Martin-Moreno, J. B. Pendry, and , "Surfaces with holes in them: New plasmonic metamaterials," Journal of Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics, Vol. 7, No. 2, S97, 2005.
3. Jiang, T., L. Shen, X. Zhang, and L.-X. Ran, "High-order modes of spoof surface plasmon polaritons on periodically corrugated metal surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 8, 91-102, 2009.
4. Martin-Cano, D., M. L. Nesterov, A. I. Fernandez-Dominguez, F. J. Garcia-Vidal, L. Martin-Moreno, and E. Moreno, "Domino plasmons for subwavelength terahertz circuitry," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, No. 2, 754-764, Jan. 2010.
5. Nesterov, M. L., D. Martin-Cano, A. I. Fernandez-Dominguez, E. Moreno, L. Martin-Moreno, and F. J. Garcia-Vidal, "Geometrically induced modification of surface plasmons in the optical and telecom regimes," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 3, 423-425, Feb. 2010.
6. Martin-Cano, D., O. Quevedo-Teruel, E. Moreno, L. Martin-Moreno, and F. J. Garcia-Vidal, "Waveguided spoof surface plasmons with deep-subwavelength lateral confinement," Opt. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 23, 4635-4637, Dec. 2011.
7. Rotman, W., "A study of single-surface corrugated guides," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 39, No. 8, 952-959, Aug. 1951.
8. Hougardy, R. and R. Hansen, "Scanning surface wave antennas-oblique surface waves over a corrugated conductor," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 4, 370-376, Oct. 1958.
9. Encinar, J., "Mode-matching and point-matching techniques applied to the analysis of metal-strip-loaded dielectric antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 9, 1405-1412, Sep. 1990.
10. Guglielmi, M. and G. Boccalone, "A novel theory for dielectricin-set waveguide leaky-wave antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 4, 497-504, Apr. 1991.
11. Grbic, A. and G. Eleftheriades, "Leaky CPW-based slot antenna arrays for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 11, 1494-1504, Nov. 2002.
12. Xu, F., K. Wu, and X. Zhang, "Periodic leaky-wave antenna for millimeter wave applications based on substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 2, 340-347, Feb. 2010.
13. Neto, A., "UWB, non dispersive radiation from the planarly fed leaky lens antenna, Part 1: Theory and design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2238-2247, Jul. 2010.
14. Otto, A., "Excitation of nonradiative surface plasma waves in silver by the method of frustrated total reflection," Z. Phys., Vol. 216, 398-410, 1968.
15. Kretschmann, E., "The determination of the optical constants of metals by excitation of surface plasmons," Z. Phys., Vol. 241, 313-324, 1971.
16. Lucyszyn, S. and Y. Zhou, "Characterising room temperature THz metal shielding using the engineering approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 17-31, 2010.
17. Lucyszyn, S. and Y. Zhou, "Engineering approach to modelling frequency dispersion within normal metals at room temperature for THz applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 257-275, 2010.
18. Mineo, M. and C. Paoloni, "Comparison of THz backward wave oscillators based on corrugated waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 30, 163-171, 2011.
19. Matvejev, V., C. D. Tandt, W. Ranson, J. Stiens, R. Vounckx, and D. Mangelings, "Integrated waveguide structure for highly sensitive THz spectroscopy of nano-liter liquids in capillary tubes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 89-101, 2011.
20. Treizebre, A., S. Laurette, Y. Xu, R. G. Bosisio, and B. Bocquet, "THz power divider circuits on planar goubau lines (PGLs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 26, 219-228, 2012.
21. Kildal, P.-S., "Artificially soft and hard surfaces in electromagnetics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 10, 1537-1544, Oct. 1990.
22. Rajo-Iglesias, E., E., M. Caiazzo, L. Inclan-Sanchez, and P.-S. Kildal, "Comparison of bandgaps of mushroom-type EBG surface and corrugated and strip-type soft surfaces," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 1, 184-189, Feb. 2007.
23. Quevedo-Teruel, O., L. Inclan-Sanchez, and E. Rajo-Iglesias, "Soft surfaces for reducing mutual coupling between loaded PIFA antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 91-94, 2010.
24. Skobelev, S. P. and P.-S. Kildal, "A new type of the quasi-TEM eigenmodes in a rectangular waveguide with one corrugated hard wall," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 143-157, 2010.
25. Neto, A., S. Monni, and F. Nennie, "UWB, non dispersive radiation from the planarly fed leaky lens antenna, Part II: Demonstrators and measurements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2248-2258, Jul. 2010.