By combining the work of J.R. Wait on a periodically loaded vertical wire grid and the work of D.A. Hill and J.R. Wait on a wire mesh, a novel generalized formulation, the Wait-Hill formulation, is obtained for the analysis of lumped-element periodically-loaded orthogonal wire grid generic frequency selective surfaces. The Wait-Hill formulation is simple and not restricted by the miniaturization assumption of current approximate simple methods for the analysis of loaded and unloaded wire grids. The results of the Wait-Hill formulation are shown to agree well with those of a commercial software.
2. Munk, B. A., "Finite Arrays and FSS," John Wiley and Sons, 2003.
3. Mias, C., "Frequency selective surfaces loaded with surface-mount reactive components," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 724-726, 2003.
4. Li, M. and N. Behdad, "A third-order bandpass frequency selective surface with a tunable transmission null," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 60, No. 4, 2109-2113, 2012.
5. Anderson, I., "On the theory of self resonant grids," The Bell System Technical Journal, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1725-1731, 1975.
6. Wait, J. R., "Theory of scattering from a periodically loaded wire grid," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 25, No. 3, 409-413, 1977.
7. Hill, D. A. and J. R. Wait, "Electromagnetic scattering of an arbitrary plane-wave by a wire mesh with bonded junctions," Canadian Journal of Physics, Vol. 54, No. 4, 353-361, 1976.
8. Butler, C., "The equivalent radius of a narrow conducting strip," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 30, No. 4, 755-758, 1982.
9. Iigusa, K., H. Harada, S. Kato, J. Hirokawa, and M. Ando, "Periodically loaded straight wires for radio wave transmission control," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 328-332, 2011.
10. Simovski, C. R., P. de Maagt, and I. V. Melchakova, "High-impedance surfaces having stable resonance with respect to polarization and incidence angle," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 3, 908-914, 2005.
11. Luukkonen, O., C. Simovski, G. Granet, G. Goussetis, D. Lioubtchenko, A. V. Raisanen, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Simple and accurate analytical model of planar grids and high-impedance surfaces comprising metal strips or patches," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1624-1632, 2008.
12. CST 2012, "Computer Simulation Technology," Darmstadt.
13. Luebbers, R. J. and B. A. Munk, "Cross polarization losses in periodic arrays of loaded slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. , Vol. 23, No. 2, 159-164, 1975.
14. Padooru, Y. R., A. B. Yakovlev, P.-Y. Chen, and A. Alu, "Analytical modeling of conformal mantle cloaks for cylindrical objects using sub-wavelength printed and slotted arrays," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 112, 034907, 2012.
15. Li, L., "Symmetries of cross-polarization diffraction coeffcients of gratings," Journal of the Optical Society of America A --- Optics Image Science and Vision, Vol. 17, No. 5, 881-887, 2000.
16. Vincent, P. and M. Neviere, "The reciprocity theorem for corrugated surfaces used in conical diffraction mountings," Optica Acta, Vol. 26, No. 7, 889-898, 1979.