A design procedure for microstrip antenna topologies operating within the full UWB band is described. The presence of the full ground plane successfully results in a unidirectional antenna, which is important in applications related to Wireless Body Area Networks (WBAN). The existing broadbanding concepts have been creatively combined throughout the design to enable the UWB behavior, while simultaneously keeping the full ground plane intact. The procedure is validated with a concrete design of a microstrip type UWB antenna operating from 3.6 GHz to 10.3 GHz.
2. Sanz-Izquierdo, B., J. C. Batchelor, and M. I. Sobhy, "Compact UWB wearable antenna," Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference, 121-124, 2007.
3. Chahat, N. and A compact, "A compact UWB antenna for on-body applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1123-1131, 2011.
4. Baskaran, K., C. P. Lee, and C. K. Chakrabarty, "A compact microstrip antenna for ultra wideband applications," European Journal of Scienti¯c Research, Vol. 67, No. 1, 45-51, 2011.
5. Alomainy, A., Y. Hao, C. G. Parini, and P. S. Hall, "Comparison between two different antennas for UWB on-body propagation measurements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 31-34, 2005.
6. Soh, P. J., S. J. Boyes, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, Y. Huang, and S. L. Ooi, "On-body characterization of dual-band all-textile PIFAs," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 129, 517-539, 2012.
7. Soh, P. J., G. A. E. Vandenbosch, S. L. Ooi, and M. R. N. Husna, "Wearable dual-band Sierpinski fractal PIFA using conductive fabric," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 6, 365-367, 2011.
8. Boyes, S. J., P. J. Soh, Y. Huang, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and N. Khiabani, "On-body performance of dual-band textile antennas," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 15, 1696-1703, 2012.
9. Lilja, J., P. Salonen, T. Kaija, and P. D. Maagt, "Design and manufacturing of robust textile antennas for harsh environments," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 9, 4130-4140, 2012.
10. Yoon, H. K., W. S. Kang, Y. J. Yoon, and C.-H. Lee, "A CPW-fed flexible monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 701-704, 2007.
11. Gupta, S., M. Ramesh, and A. T. Kalghatgi, "Design of optimized CPW fed monopole antenna for UWB applications," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 4-7, 2005.
12. Tran, D., F. M. Tanyer-Tigrek, A. Vorobyov, I. E. Lager, and L. P. Ligthart, "A novel CPW-fed optimized UWB printed antenna," European Conference on Wireless Technologies, 40-43, 2007.
13. John, M., M. J. Ammann, and P. McEvoy, "UWB vivaldi antenna based on a spline geometry with frequency band-notch," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2008.
14. Bai, J., S. Shi, and D. W. Prather, "Modified compact antipodal vivaldi antenna for 450-GHz UWB application," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1051-1057, 2011.
15. Osman, M. A. R., M. K. Abd Rahim, M. Azfar Abdullah, N. A. Samsuri, F. Zubir, and K. Kamardin, "Design, implementation and performance of ultra-wideband textile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 307-325, 2011.
16. Klemm, M. and G. Troester, "Textile UWB antennas for wireless body area networks," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3192-3197, 2006.
17. Soh, P. J., G. A. E. Vandenbosch, S. L. Ooi, and N. H. M. Rais, "Design of a broadband all-textile slotted PIFA," Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 379-384, 2012.
18. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley and Sons, New York, 2005.
19., "CST microwave studio," Darmstadt Germany: CST-Computer Simulation Technology AG, 2012.
20. Goudah, M. and M. Y. M. Yousef, "Bandwidth enhancement techniques comparison for ultra wideband microstrip antennas for wireless application," Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, Vol. 35, No. 2, 184-193, 2012.
21. Koohestani, M. Golpour and M. Golpour, "U-shaped microstrip patch antenna with novel parasitic tuning stubs for ultra wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 7, 938-946, 2010.
22. Abdelaziz, A. A., "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 311-317, 2006.
23. Fei, P., Y.-C. Jiao, and W. Hu, "A compact CPW-fed finger-shaped antenna for UWB application," International Symposium on Antennas Propagation and EM Theory, 79-82, 2010.
24. Chen, H.-D., "A dual-frequency rectangular microstrip antenna with a circular slot," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters , Vol. 18, No. 2, 130-132, 1998.
25. Liu, W.-C., C.-M. Wu, and Y.-J. Tseng, "Parasitically loaded CPW-fed monopole antenna for broadband operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 6, 2415-2419, 2011.
26. Rahayu, Y., R. Ngah, and T. A. Rahman, "A small novel ultra wideband antenna with slotted ground plane," International Conference on Computer and Communication Engineering, 677-682, 2008.
27. Patil, V. P., "Enhancement of bandwidth of rectangular patch antenna using two square slots techniques," International Journal of Engineering Sciences and Emerging Technologies, Vol. 3, No. 2, 1-12, 2012.
28. Ruckveratham, B., S. Teawehim, P. Chiochan, and S. Promwong, "Evaluation of ultra wideband body area network," Biomedical Engineering International Conference, 311-315, 2011.
29. Soh, P. J., G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and J. Higuera-Oro, "Design and evaluation of flexible CPW-fed ultra wideband (UWB) textile antennas," IEEE International RF and Microwave Conference (RFM) , 133-136, 2011.