A double-layered Vivaldi antenna enclosed by a metallic cylindrical cavity is investigated. The antenna is correlated to the same-size circular horn antenna to exploit the equivalent modal distribution of the Vivaldi-cavity antenna. It is shown that the TM11 and TE11 are the dominant modes and the proposed antenna operates similar to a dual-mode conical horn. The antenna is fabricated and successfully tested. The radiation characteristics, mutual coupling, as well as cross-polarization level are compared to a similarly sized Vivaldi without any metallic enclosure.
2. Lewis, L., M. Fassett, and J. Hunt, "A broadband stripline array element," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium , Vol. 12, 335-337, 1974.
3. Yngvesson, K., D. Schaubert, T. Korzeniowski, E. Kollberg, T. Thungren, and J. A. Johansson, "Endfire tapered slot antennas on dielectric substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 33, No. 12, 1392-1400, 1985.
4. Gazit, E., "Improved design of the Vivaldi antenna," IEE Proceedings H --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 135, No. 2, 89-92, 1988.
5. Mehdipour, A., K. Mohammadpour-Aghdam, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Complete dispersion analysis of Vivaldi antenna for ultra wideband applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 85-96, 2007.
6. Lai, A., A. Sinopoli, and W. Burnside, "A novel antenna for ultra-wide-band applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 7, 755-760, 1992.
7. Bai, J., S. Shi, and D. Prather, "Modified compact antipodal Vi-valdi antenna for 4--50 GHz UWB application," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1051-1057, 2011.
8. Simons, R. and R. Lee, "On-wafer characterization of millimeter-wave antennas for wireless applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 1, 92-96, 1999.
9. Yang, Y., Y. Wang, and A. E. Fathy, "Design of compact Vivaldi antenna arrays for UWB see through wall applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 401-418, 2008.
10. Woten, D., M. Hajihashemi, A. Hassan, and M. El-Shenawee, "Experimental microwave validation of level set reconstruction algorithm ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 1, 230-233, 2010.
11. Maklad, B., C. Curtis, E. C. Fear, and G. G. Messier, "Neighborhood-based algorithm to facilitate the reduction of skin reactions in radar-based microwave imaging ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 39, 115-139, 2012.
12. Ostadrahimi, M., S. Noghanian, L. Shafai, A. Zakaria, C. Kaye, and J. LoVetri, "Investigating a double layer Vivaldi antenna design for fixed array eld measurement," International Journal of Ultra Wideband Communications and Systems, Vol. 1, No. 4, 282-290, 2010.
13. Gilmore, C., A. Zakaria, P. Mojabi, M. Ostadrahimi, S. Pistorius, and J. Lo Vetri, "The University of Manitoba microwave imaging repository: A two-dimensional microwave scattering database for testing inversion and calibration algorithms ," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 5, 126-133, 2011.
14. Ostadrahimi, M., P. Mojabi, S. Noghanian, L. Shafai, S. Pistorius, and J. LoVetri, "A novel microwave tomography system based on the scattering probe technique ," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 61, No. 2, 379-390, 2012.
15. Ostadrahimi, M., P. Mojabi, C. Gilmore, A. Zakaria, S. Noghanian, S. Pistorius, and J. LoVetri, "Analysis of incident field modeling and incident/scattered field calibration techniques in microwave tomography," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 900-903, 2011.
16. Ostadrahimi, M., A. Zakaria, J. LoVetri, and L. Shafai, "A near-field dual polarized TE-TM microwave imaging system," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1376-1384, 2013.
17. Yang, Y., C. Zhang, and A. Fathy, "Development and implementation of ultra-wideband see-through-wall imaging system based on sampling oscilloscope," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 465-468, 2008.
18. Qu, S., J. Li, Q. Xue, and C. Chan, "Wideband cavity-backed bowtie antenna with pattern improvement," EEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3850-3854, 2008.
19. Li, R., B. Pan, A. Traille, J. Papapolymerou, J. Laskar, and M. Tentzeris, "Development of a cavity-backed broadband circularly polarized slot/strip loop antenna with a simple feeding structure ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 2, 312-318, 2008.
20. Ozdemir, T., J. Volakis, and M. Nurnberger, "Analysis of thin multioctave cavity-backed slot spiral antennas," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 146, No. 6, 447-447, 1999.
21., "Ansys-HFSS simulator package,", 2012.
22. Potter, P., "A new horn antenna with suppressed sidelobes and equal beamwidths," Microwave Journal, Vol. 71, 1963.
23. Silver, S., Microwave Antenna Theory and Design, Vol. 19, The Institution of Electrical Engineers, 1984.
24. Olver, A. D., P. Clarricoats, A. Kishk, and L. Shafai, "Microwave Horns and Feeds," 490, IET, 1994.