Two novel short tapered leaky wave antenna (LWA) designs with a complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) structure are proposed in this paper. The CSRR structure is positioned at 1/4λg away from the open-end edge of the LWA. For one of the antenna designs, the CSRR is placed at the ground plane; for the other one, the CSRR is placed on the antenna plane. The reflected wave caused by the open-end edge of the LWA is cancelled by the reflected wave caused by the CSRR, thus, the back lobe can be effectively suppressed. The length of these two short tapered LWAs with CSRR design is only 1.2λg at 4.3 GHz. According to the measurement results, the impedance bandwidth is 650 MHz for 7 dB return loss, which covers the range from 4.3 GHz to 4.95 GHz. The back lobe can be suppressed effectively about more than 12 dB at the whole operating frequency band. The scanning range of the main beam is about 34˚, which covers the scanning angle from 10˚to 44˚.
2. Oliner, A. A. and K. S. Lee, "The nature of the leakage from higher modes on microstrip line," IEEE Symposium on MTT-S International Digest, 57-60, Baltimore, MD, USA, Jun. 1986.
3. Luxey, C. and J. M. Latheurte, "Simple design of dual-beam leaky-wave antennas in microstrips," IEE Proceedings Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 144, No. 6, 397-402, 1997.
4. Shih, Y., S. Chen, C. Hu, and C. F. Jou, "Active feedback microstrip leaky wave antenna-synthesiser design with suppressed back lobe radiation," Electon. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 7, 513-514, 1999.
5. Guan, H., C. Wang, and C. F. Jou, Suppression of reflected wave of leaky-wave antenna by utilizing an aperture-fed patch antenna, Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC, 966-969, Taipei, Taiwan, Dec. 2001.
6. Wang, C., H. Guan, and C. F. Jou, "A novel method for short leaky-wave antennas to suppress the reflected wave," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 2, 129-131, 2003.
7. Chiou, Y., J. Wu, J. Huang, and C. F. Jou, "A novel short leaky-wave antenna for suppressing the back lobes," International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 1-4, Santa Monica, CA, USA, Feb. 2009.
8. Wu, J., C. Wang, and C. F. Jou, "Method of suppressing the side lobe of a tapered short leaky wave antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 8, 1146-1149, 2009.
9. Wu, J., C. F. Jou, and C. Wang, "A compact wideband leaky-wave antenna with etched slot elements and tapered structure," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2176-2183, 2010.
10. Losito, O., M. Gallo, V. Dimiccoli, D. Barletta, and M. Bozzetti, "A tapered design of a CRLH-TL leaky wave antenna," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 357-360, Rome, Apr. 2011.
11. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, J. D. Baena, R. Marqués, F. Martín, and M. Sorolla, "Effective negative-ε stopband microstrip lines based on complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 6, 280-282, 2004.
12. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999.
13. Niu, J. and X. Zhou, "Analysis of balanced composite right/left handed structure based on different dimensions of complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 341-351, 2007.
14. Zhang, X., Z. Yu, and J. Xu, "Novel band-pass substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter based on complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 39-46, 2007.
15. Bahrami, H., M. Hakkak, and A. Pirhadi, "Analysis and design of highly compact bandpass waveguide filter using complementary split ring resonators (CSRR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 107-122, 2008.
16. Wu, G., W. Mu, X. Dai, and Y. Jiao, "Design of novel dual-band bandpass filter with microstrip meander-loop resonator and CSRR DGS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 17-24, 2008.
17. Zhang, J., B. Cui, S. Lin, and X. Sun, "Sharp-rejection low-pass filter with controllable transmission zero using complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 219-226, 2007.
18. Ding, J., Z. Lin, Z. Ying, and S. He, "A compact ultra-wideband slot antenna with multiple notch frequency bands," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 12, 3056-3060, 2007.
19. Braaten, B. D., "A novel compact UHF RFID tag antenna designed with series connected open complementary split ring resonator (OCSRR) particles," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 11, 3728-3733, 2010.
20. Anderson, J., K. Johnson, C. Satterlee, A. Lynch, and B. D. Braaten, "A reduced frequency printed quasi-Yagi antenna symmetrically loaded with meander open complementary split ring resonator (MOCSRR) elements," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 270-273, Spokane, WA, USA, Jul. 2011.
21. Yuandan, D., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Design and characterization of miniaturized patch antennas loaded with complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 60, No. 2, 772-785, 2012.
22. Chang, D. C. and E. F. Kuester, "Total and partial reflection from the end of a parallel-plate waveguide with an extended dielectric slab," Radio Science, Vol. 16, No. 1, 1-13, 1981.
23. Oliner, A. A. and K. S. Lee, "Microstrip leaky wave strip antennas," IEEE Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 24, 443-446, Philadelphia, PA, USA, Jun. 1986.
24. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2005.