Non-Hermitian skin effect denotes the exponential localization of a large number of eigen-states at boundaries in a non-Hermitian lattice under open boundary conditions. Such a non-Hermiticity-induced skin effect can offset the penetration depth of in-gap edge states, leading to counterintuitive delocalized edge modes, which have not been studied in a realistic photonic system such as photonic crystals. Here, we analytically reveal the non-Hermitian skin effect and the delocalized edge states in Maxwell's equations for non-Hermitian chiral photonic crystals with anomalous parity-time symmetry. Remarkably, we rigorously prove that the penetration depth of the edge states is inversely proportional to the frequency and the real part of the chirality. Our findings pave a way towards exploring novel non-Hermitian phenomena and applications in continuous Maxwell's equations.
2. Xiao, L., T. Deng, K. Wang, G. Zhu, Z. Wang, W. Yi, and P. Xue, "Non-Hermitian bulk-boundary correspondence in quantum dynamics," Nature Physics, Vol. 16, 761-766, 2020.
3. Helbig, T., T. Hofmann, S. Imhof, M. Abdelghany, T. Kiessling, L. Molenkamp, C. Lee, A. Szameit, M. Greiter, and R. Thomale, "Generalized bulk-boundary correspondence in non-Hermitian topolectrical circuits," Nat. Phys., Vol. 16, 747-750, 2020.
4. Longhi, S., "Non-Bloch-band collapse and chiral Zener tunneling," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 124, 066602, 2020.
5. Zhou, D. and J. Zhang, "Non-Hermitian topological metamaterials with odd elasticity," Phys. Rev. Research, Vol. 2, 023173, 2020.
6. Longhi, S., "Topological phase transition in non-Hermitian quasicrystals," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 122, 237601, 2019.
7. Gao, P., M. Willatzen, and J. Christensen, "Anomalous topological edge states in non-Hermitian piezophononic media," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 125, 206402, 2020.
8. Longhi, S., "Non-bloch PT symmetry breaking in non-Hermitian photonic quantum walks," Opt. Lett., Vol. 44, 5804-5807, 2019.
9. Deng, K. and B. Flebus, "Non-Hermitian skin effect in magnetic systems,", arXiv:2109.01711, 2021.
10. Braghini, D., L. G. G. Villani, M. I. N. Rosa, and J. R. de F Arruda, "Non-Hermitian elastic waveguides with piezoelectric feedback actuation: Non-reciprocal bands and skin modes," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 54, 285302, 2021.
11. Song, Y., W. Liu, L. Zheng, Y. Zhang, B. Wang, and P. Lu, "Two-dimensional non-Hermitian skin effect in a synthetic photonic lattice," Phys. Rev. Applied, Vol. 14, 064076, 2020.
12. Yao, S. and Z. Wang, "Edge states and topological invariants of non-Hermitian systems," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 121, 086803, 2018.
13. Zhu, W., W. X. Teo, L. Li, and J. Gong, "Delocalization of topological edge states," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 103, 195414, 2021.
14. Okuma, N., K. Kawabata, K. Shiozaki, and M. Sato, "Topological origin of non-Hermitian skin effects," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 124, 086801, 2020.
15. Zhang, K., Z. Yang, and C. Fang, "Correspondence between winding numbers and skin modes in non-Hermitian systems," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 125, 126402, 2020.
16. Xiao, M., Z. Q. Zhang, and C. T. Chan, "Surface impedance and bulk band geometric phases in one-dimensional systems," Phys. Rev. X, Vol. 4, 021017, 2014.
17. Zak, J., "Berry's phase for energy bands in solids," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 62, 2747-2750, 1989.
18. Yi, Y. and Z. Yang, "Non-Hermitian skin modes induced by on-site dissipations and chiral tunneling effect," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 125, 186802, 2020.
19. Okugawa, R., R. Takahashi, and K. Yokomizo, "Non-Hermitian band topology with generalized inversion symmetry," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 103, 205205, 2021.
20. Buddhiraju, S., A. Song, G. T. Papadakis, and S. Fan, "Nonreciprocal metamaterial obeying time-reversal symmetry," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 124, 257403, 2020.