It is well known that additional space harmonics in the air-gap magnetomotive force (mmf) distribution of the concentrated non-overlapping windings (CW) cause additional losses in the machine. This is especially so for machines used for traction applications where the machine requires to operate over its rated speed and frequency. In this paper, the authors investigates losses present in an interior permanent magnet (IPM) machine with CW designed to achieve a very wide field weakening range. Losses were quantified analytically and also using finite element methods. Loss estimations were experimentally verified in a constructed prototype machine. Based on the analysis, key losses were identified. The optimization process to minimize these losses and of improving efficiency were discussed in details. The segregation of the losses in the studied machine indicates that the losses in the magnet are much smaller compared to the rotor and stator core losses caused by the slot harmonics. Therefore, core loss minimization techniques for this type of machine will involve reduction of slot harmonics. Also, copper loss is found to be the most dominating component of the total loss. Hence, copper loss minimization should be part of the design optimization process.
2. Cros, J. and P. Viarouge, "Synthesis of high performance PM motors with concentrated windings," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 17, 248-253, 2002.
3. El-Refaie, A. M. and T. M. Jahns, "Optimal flux weakening in surface PM machines using fractional-slot concentrated windings," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 41, 790-800, 2005.
4. Chong, L., "Design of an interior permanent magnet machine with concentrated windings for field weakening applications,", Ph.D. Thesis, School of Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications, The University of New South Wales, 2012.
5. Bottauscio, O., G. Pellegrino, P. Guglielmi, M. Chiampi, and A. Vagati, "Rotor loss estimation in permanent magnet machines with concentrated windings," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 41, 3913-3915, 2005.
6. Fornasiero, E., N. Bianchi, and S. Bolognani, "Slot harmonic impact on rotor losses in fractional-slot permanent-magnet machines," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 59, 2557-2564, 2012.
7. Seo, J.-H., S.-Y. Kwak, S.-Y. Jung, C.-G. Lee, T.-K. Chung, and H.-K. Jung, "A research on iron loss of IPMSM with a fractional number of slot per pole," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, 1824-1827, 2009.
8. Yamazaki, K. and H. Ishigami, "Rotor-shape optimization of interior-permanent-magnet motors to reduce harmonic iron losses," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 57, 61-69, 2010.
9. Han, S.-H., T. M. Jahns, W. L. Soong, M. K. Guven, and M. S. Illindala, "Torque ripple reduction in interior permanent magnet synchronous machines using stators with odd number of slots per pole pair," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 25, 118-127, 2010 .
10. Fukuma, A., S. Kanazawa, D. Miyagi, and N. Takahashi, "Investigation of AC loss of permanent magnet of SPM motor considering hysteresis and eddy-current losses," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 41, 1964-1967, 2005.
11. Yamazaki, K. and Y. Fukushima, "Effect of eddy-current loss reduction by magnet segmentation in synchronous motors with concentrated windings," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 47, 779-788, 2011.
12. Ishak, D., Z. Q. Zhu, and D. Howe, "Comparison of PM brushless motors, having either all teeth or alternate teeth wound," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 21, 95-103, 2006.
13. El-Refaie, A. M. and T. M. Jahns, "Impact of winding layer number and magnet type on synchronous surface PM machines designed for wide constant-power speed range operation," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 23, 53-60, 2008.
14. Chong, L., R. Dutta, and M. F. Rahman, "Application of concentrated windings in interior permanent magnet machine," Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference, AUPEC 2007, 1-5, 2007.
15. Yamazaki, K., Y. Kanou, Y. Fukushima, S. Ohki, A. Nezu, T. Ikemi, and R. Mizokami, "Reduction of magnet eddy-current loss in interior permanent-magnet motors with concentrated windings," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 46, 2434-2441, 2010.
16. Seok-Hee, H., T. M. Jahns, and Z. Q. Zhu, "Analysis of rotor core eddy-current losses in interior permanent-magnet synchronous machines," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 46, 196-205, 2010.
17. Alberti, L., E. Fornasiero, N. Bianchi, and S. Bolognani, "Impact of rotor losses in a 12-slot 10-pole axial °ux PM machine," IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 2008, IAS'08, 1-8, 2008.
18. Advaced MotorTech, LLC, "Short course on the design of interior permanent magnet and brushless DC machines --- Taking theory to practice,", May 2010.
19. CEDRAT, Flux 9.30 User Guide Vol. 3: Physical Applications (Magnetic, Electric, Thermal), Apr. 2006.
20. Goldman, A., Modern Ferrite Technology, 2nd Ed., Springer, 2006.
21. Reddy, P. B., A. M. El-Refaie, and H. Kum-Kang, "Effect of number of layers on performance of fractional-slot concentrated-windings interior permanent magnet machines," 2011 IEEE 8th International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE & ECCE), 1921-1928, 2011.
22. Yeadon, W. H. and A. W. Yeadon, Handbook of Small Electric Motors, McGraw-Hill, 2001.
23. Jussila, H., P. Salminen, A. Parviainen, J. Nerg, and J. Pyrhonen, "Concentrated winding axial flux permanent magnet motor with plastic bonded magnets and sintered segmented magnets," 18th International Conference on Electrical Machines, ICEM, 1-5, 2008.
24. Shinichi, K., T. Norio, and K. Takeharu, "Measurement and analysis of AC loss of NdFeB sintered magnet," Electrical Engineering, Vol. 154, 8-15, Japan, 2006.
25. Takahashi, N., H. Shinagawa, D. Miyagi, Y. Doi, and K. Miyata, "Factors a®ecting eddy current losses of segmented Nd-Fe-B sintered magnets without insulation in large PM motors," IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference, IEMDC, 24-29, 2009.
26. Yamazaki, K., Y. Fukushima, and M. Sato, "Loss analysis of permanent magnet motors with concentrated windings --- Variation of magnet eddy current loss due to stator and rotor shapes," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 45, 1334-1342, 2009.
27. Ferraris, L., P. Ferraris, A. Tenconi, and E. Poskovic, "Theoretic and experimental approach to the adoption of bonded magnets in fractional machines for automotive applications," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 59, No. 5, 2309-2318, 2011.
28. Jubb, G. and R. McCurrie, "Hysteresis and magnetic viscosity in Nd-Fe-B permanent magnet," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 23, 1801-1805, 1987.
29. Pfister, P. D., C. Koechli, M. Markovic, and Y. Perriard, "Analysis of hysteresis losses in synchronous permanent magnet motors," 2006 12th Biennial IEEE Conference on Electromagnetic Field Computation, 144-144, 2006.
30. Akatsu, K., K. Narita, Y. Sakashita, and T. Yamada, "Characteristics comparison between SPMSM and IPMSM under high flux density condition by both experimental and analysis results," International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, 2008, ICEMS 2008, 2848-2853, 2008.
31. Ishak, D., Z. Q. Zhu, and D. Howe, "Eddy-current loss in the rotor magnets of permanent-magnet brushless machines having a fractional number of slots per pole," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 41, 2462-2469, 2005.
32. Sergeant, P. and A. Van den Bossche, "Segmentation of magnets to reduce losses in permanent-magnet synchronous machines," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 44, 4409-4412, 2008.
33. Yamazaki, K., M. Shina, Y. Kanou, M. Miwa, and J. Hagiwara, "Effect of eddy current loss reduction by segmentation of magnets in synchronous motors: Difference between interior and surface types," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, 4756-4759, 2009.
34. Pyrhonen, J., T. Jokien, and V. Hrabovcova, Design of Rotating Electrical Machines, John Wiely & Sons, Ltd., 2008.
35. Akita, H., Y. Nakahara, N. Miyake, and T. Oikawa, "A new core," IEEE Industry Applications Magazine, Vol. 11, 38-43, 2005.
36. Jack, A. G., B. C. Mecrow, P. G. Dickinson, D. Stephenson, J. S. Burdess, N. Fawcett, and J. T. Evans, "Permanent-magnet machines with powdered iron cores and prepressed windings," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 36, 1077-1084, 2000.
37. Akita, H., Y. Nakahara, N. Miyake, and T. Oikawa, "New core structure and manufacturing method for high efficiency of permanent magnet motors," Conference Record of the 2003 IEEE Industry Applications Conference, 38th IAS Annual Meeting, Vol. 1, 367-372, 2003.
38. Emadi, A., Energy-efficient Electric Motors, 3rd Ed., Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 2005.
39. Bertotti, G., "General properties of power losses in soft ferromagnetic materials," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 24, 621-630, 1988.
40. Domeki, H., Y. Ishihara, C. Kaido, Y. Kawase, S. Kitamura, T. Shimomura, N. Takahashi, T. Yamada, and K. Yamazaki, "Investigation of benchmark model for estimating iron loss in rotating machine," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 40, 794-797, 2004.
41. Boglietti, A., A. Cavagnino, M. Lazzari, and M. Pastorelli, "Predicting iron losses in soft magnetic materials with arbitrary voltage supply: An engineering approach," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 39, 981-989, 2003.