Dependence of the electromagnetic shielding effectiveness on filler volume fraction has been investigated from attenuation upon reflection measurements over a broad frequency range in hybrids based on Poly(vinylidene fluoride)-Aluminum nanoparticles. The loss of reflectivity with relation to the incident radiation in these nanocomposites compared with the pristine polymeric matrix shows the maximum value for the sample with an aluminum content of 10% in volume. Furthermore, the morphological aspects of all the specimens as well as their thermal properties, viscoelastic behavior and dielectric response have been evaluated. The nanocomposite that incorporates an Al content of 10% in volume exhibits the best balance in properties including, in addition to its shielding behavior, its processability and mechanical performance.
2. Chung, D. D. L., "Materials for electromagnetic interference shielding," J. Mater. Eng. Perform., Vol. 9, 350-354, 2000.
3. Afsar, M. N., J. R. Birch, R. N. Clarke, and G. W. Chantry, "Measurement of the properties of materials," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 74, 183-199, 1986.
4. Knott, E. F., J. F. Shaffer, and M. T. Tuley, Radar Cross Section, Artech House, 2004.
5. Wu, G., X. Huang, Z. Dou, S. Chen, and L. Jiang, "Electromagnetic interfering shielding of aluminum alloy-cenospheres composite," Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 42, 2633-2636, 2007.
6. Wu, G., X. G. Zhang, Z. Q. Song, and B. Liu, "Analysis on shielding performance of metallic rectangular cascaded enclosure with apertures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 185-195, 2011.
7. Lei, J. Z., C. H. Liang, and Y. Zhang, "Study on shielding effectiveness of metallic cavities with apertures by combining parallel FDTD method with windowing technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 85-112, 2007.
8. Gorriti, A. G., P. Marin, D. Cortina, and A. Hernando, "Microwave attenuation with composite of copper microwires," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 322, 1505-1510, 2010.
9. Marin, P., D. Cortina, and A. Hernando, "Electromagnetic wave absorbing material based on magnetic microwires," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 44, 3934-3937, 2008.
10. Marin, P., D. Cortina, and A. Hernando, "High-frequency behavior of amorphous microwires and its applications," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 290-291, Part 2, 1597-1600, 2005.
11. Wang, Y. and X. Jing, "Intrinsically conducting polymers for electromagnetic interference shielding," Polymers for Advanced Technologies, Vol. 16, 344-351, 2005.
12. Das, N. C., T. K. Chaki, D. Khastgir, and A. Chakraborty, "Electromagnetic interference shielding effectiveness of ethylene vinyl acetate based conductive composites containing carbon fillers," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 80, 1601-1608, 2001.
13. Morari, C., I. Balan, J. Pintea, E. Chitanu, and I. Iordache, "Electrical conductivity and electromagnetic shielding effectiveness of silicone rubber filled with ferrite and graphite powders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 21, 93-104, 2011.
14. Koledintseva, M. Y., J. Drewniak, R. DuBroff, K. Rozanov, and B. Archambeault, "Modeling of shielding composite materials and structures for microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 197-215, 2009.
15. Raj, C. D., G. S. Rao, P. V. Y. Jayasree, B. Srinu, and P. Lakshman, "Estimation of reflectivity and shielding effectiveness of three layered laminate electromagnetic shield at X-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 205-223, 2010.
16. Jayasree, P. V. Y., V. S. S. N. Srinivasa Baba, B. Prabhakara Rao, and P. Lakshman, "Analysis of shielding effectiveness of single double and laminated shields for oblique incidence of EM waves," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 187-202, 2010.
17. Danaei, M. M., H. Aliakbarian, M. Azarbadegan, and Y. Bairami, "Protection of car-size sensitive equipments using a shielding cover," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 7, 97-108, 2009.
18. Qureshi, A., A. Mergen, M. S. Eroglu, N. L. Singh, and A. Gulluoglu, "Dielectric properties of polymer composites filled with different metals," Journal of Macromolecular Science, Part A: Pure and Applied Chemistry, Vol. 45, 462-469, 2008.
19. Teirikangas, M., J. Juuti, and H. Jantunen, "Organic-inorganic RF composites with enhanced permittivity by nanoparticle additions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 147-157, 2011.
20. Arranz-Andres, J. , E. Perez, and M. L. Cerrada, "Hybrids based on poly (vinylidene fluoride) and Cu nanoparticles: Characterization and EMI shielding," European Polymer Journal,, Vol. 48, 1160-1168, 2012.
21. Nalva, H. S., Ferroelectric Polymers, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 1955.
22. Nagai, M., K. Nakamura, H. Uehara, T. Kanamoto, Y. Takahashi, and T. Furukawa, "Enhanced electrical properties of highly oriented poly (vinylidene fluoride) films prepared by solid-state coextrusion," Journal of Polymer Science --- Part B: Polymer Physics, Vol. 37, 2549-2556, 1999.
23. Strashilov, V. L., "Efficiency of poly (vinylidene fluoride) thin films for excitation of surface acoustic waves," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 88, 3582-3586, 2000.
24. Kepler, R. G. and R. A. Anderson, "Ferroelectric polymers," Advances in Physics, Vol. 41, 1-57, 1992.
25. Kepler, R. G., Ferroelectric Polymers: Chemistry, Physics and Applications, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1995.
26. Tashiro, K., Ferroelectric Polymers: Chemistry, Physics and Applications, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1995.
27. Matsushige, K., "Pressure effect on phase transition in ferroelectic polymers," Phase Transitions, Vol. 18, 247-262, 1989.
28. Scheinbeim, J., C. Nakafuku, B. A. Newman, and K. D. Pae, "High-pressure crystallization of poly (vinylidene fluoride)," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 50, 4399-4405, 1979.
29. Wang, X. C. and Z. Liu, "A new computation of shielding effectiveness of electromagnetic radiation shielding fabric," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 33, 177-186, 2012.
30. Lucyszyn, S. and Y. Zhou, "Characterising room temperature THz metal shielding using the engineering approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 17-31, 2010.
31. McCrum, N. G., B. E. Read, and G. Williams, Anelastic and Dielectric Effects in Polymeric Solids, Dover, New York, 1991.
32. Nakagawa, K. and Y. Ishida, "Annealing effects in poly (vinylidene °uoride) as revealed by specific volume measurements, differential scanning calorimetry, and electron microscopy," Journal of Polymer Science --- Part B: Polymer Physics, Vol. 11, 2153-2171, 1973.
33. Lovinger, A. J., Developments in Crystalline Polymers-I, Applied Science Publishers, London, 1982.
34. Xu, J. and C. P. Wong, "Low-loss percolative dielectric composite," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 87, 2005.
35. Chanmal, C. V. and J. P. Jog, "Dielectric relaxations in PVDF/BaTiO3 nanocomposites," Express Polymer Letters, Vol. 2, 294-301, 2008.
36. Linares, A., A. Nogales, D. R. Rueda, and T. A. Ezquerra, "Molecular dynamics in PVDF/PVA blends as revealed by dielectric loss spectroscopy," Journal of Polymer Science --- Part B: Polymer Physics, Vol. 45, 1653-1661, 2007.
37. Takahashi, Y. and K. Miyaji, "Long-range order parameters of form II of poly (vinylidene fluoride) and molecular motion in the I +- c relaxation," Macromolecules, Vol. 16, 1789-1792, 1983.
38. Boyd, R. H., "Relaxation processes in crystalline polymers: Experimental behaviour --- A review," Polymer, Vol. 26, 323-347, 1985.
39. Boyd, R. H., "Relaxation processes in crystalline polymers: Molecular interpretation --- A review," Polymer, Vol. 26, 1123-1133, 1985.
40. Tian, L. Y., X. B. Huang, X. Z. Tang, and , "Study on morphology behavior of PVDF-based electrolytes," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 92, 3839-3842, 2004.
41. Kochervinskii, V. V., I. A. Malyshkina, G. V. Markin, N. D. Gavrilova, N. P. Bessonova, and , "Dielectric relaxation in vinylidene fluoride-hexafluoropropylene copolymers," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 105, 1101-1117, 2007.
42. Panwar, V., J. O. Park, S. H. Park, S. Kumar, and R. M. Mehra, "Electrical, dielectric, and electromagnetic shielding properties of polypropylene-graphite composites," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 115, 1306-1314, 2010.
43. Yano, S., "Dielectric relaxation and molecular motion in poly (vinylidene fluoride)," Journal of Polymer Science --- Part A-2: Polym. Chem., Vol. 8, 1057-1072, 1970.
44. Lovinger, A. J. and T. T. Wang, "Investigation of the properties of directionally solidified poly (vinylidene fluoride)," Polymer, Vol. 20, 725-732, 1979.
45. O'Shea, M. L., C. Morterra, and M. J. D. Low, "Spectroscopic studies of carbons. XVII. Pyrolysis of polyvinylidene fluoride," Materials Chemistry and Physics, Vol. 26, 193-209, 1990.
46. Zulfiqar, S., M. Zulfiqar, M. Rizvi, A. Munir, and I. C. McNeill, "Study of the thermal degradation of polychlorotrifluoroethylene, poly (vinylidene fluoride) and copolymers of chlorotrifluoroethy lene and vinylidene fluoride-," Polymer Degradation and Stability, Vol. 43, 423-430, 1994.
47. Botelho, G., S. Lanceros-Mendez, A. M. Goncalves, V. Sencadas, and J. G. Rocha, "Relationship between processing conditions, defects and thermal degradation of poly (vinylidene fluoride) in the β-phase," Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, Vol. 354, 72-78, 2008.
48. Kang, D. J., K. Pal, D. S. Bang, and J. K. Kim, "Synergistic effect on crystalline structure of polyvinylidene fluoride nanocomposites with multiwalled carbon nanotube loading by a twin screw extruder," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 121, 226-233, 2011.