This paper deals with the finite element analysis and experimental study concerning the influence of the one broken bar and rotor dynamic eccentricity faults on the magnetic field outside a squirrel-cage induction motor. The spatial distribution of the magnetic field, the time variation of the magnetic flux density in a point outside the machine and the time variation of the output electromotive force delivered by a coil sensor are evaluated based on the finite element models of the healthy and faulty states of the motor. The increase of amplitude from the healthy to the faulty states of some low frequency harmonics measured in the nearmagnetic field is emphasized. For the one broken bar fault, the increase of the amplitudes of specific harmonics of the coil sensor electromotive force, with frequency lower than 25 Hz, is experimentally confirmed.
2. Lecointe, J. P., B. Cassoret, and J. F. Brudny, "Distinction of toothing and saturation effects on magnetic noise of induction motors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 125-137, 2011.
3. Cassoret, B., J. P. Lecointe, and J. F. Brudny, "Influence of the pole number on the magnetic noise of electrical AC machines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 33, 83-97, 2011.
4. Benbouzid, , M. E. H., "A review of induction motors signature analysis as a medium for faults detection," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electron., Vol. 47, No. 5, 984-993, 2000.
5. Henao, , H., , H. Razik, and G. A. Capolino, "Analytical approach of he stator current frequency harmonics computation for detection of induction machine rotor faults," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Appl., Vol. 41, No. 3, 801-807, 2005.
6. Lim, W. Q., W. Q., D. H. Zhang, J. H. Zhou, P. H. Belgi, and H. L. Chan, "Vibration-based fault diagnostic platform for rotary machines," 36th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON 2010), 1404-1409, 2010.
7. Filippetti, F., G. Franceschini, C. Tassoni, and P. Vas, "AI techniques in induction machines diagnosis including the speed ripple effect," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Appl., Vol. 34, No. 1, 98-108, 1998.
8. Khezzar, , A., , M. Y. Kaikaa, M. El Kamel Oumaamar, M. Boucherma, and H. Razik, "On the use of slot harmonics as a potential indicator of rotor bar breakage in the induction machine," EEE Trans. on Ind. Electron.,, Vol. 56, No. 11, 4592-4605, 2009.
9. Pouliezos, , D. and G. S. Stavrakakis, Real Time Fault Monitoring of Industrial Processes, Kluwer, Norwell, MA, 1994.
10. Tavner, , P., L. Ran, J. Penman, and H. Sedding, Condition Monitoring of Rotating Electrical Machines, 2nd Ed., IET Stevenage, UK, 2008.
11. Bossio, , G. R., , C. H. De Angelo, J. M. Bossio, C. M. Pezzani, and G. O. Garcia, "Separating broken rotor bars and load oscillations on IM fault diagnosis through the instantaneous active and reactive currents," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, , No. 11, 4571-4580, 2009.
12. Nemec, , M., , K. Drobnic, D. Nedeljkovic, R. Fiser, and V. Ambrozic, "Detection of broken bar in induction motor using voltage pattern analysis ," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, 2879-2888, 2010.
13. Sanchez, , M. P., M. R. Guasp, J. A. A. Daviu, J. R. Folch, J. P. Cruz, and R. P. Panadero, "Instantaneous frequency of the left sideband harmonic during the start-up transient: A new method for diagnosis of broken bar," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electron. , Vol. 56, No. 11, 4557-4570, 2009.
14. Bouzida, , A., O. Touhami, R. Ibtiouen, A. Belouchrani, M. Fadel, and A. Rezzoug, "Fault diagnosis in industrial induction machines through discrete wavelet transform," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 9, 4385-4395, 2011.
15. Drif, , M. and A. J. M. Cardoso, "Discriminating the simultaneous occurrence of three-phase induction motor faults and mechanical load oscillations by the instantaneous active and reactive power media signature analyses," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 3, 1630-1639, 2012.
16. Sanchez, , M. P., M. R. Guasp, J. R. Folch, J. A. A. Daviu, J. P. Cruz, and R. P. Panadero, "Diagnosis of induction motor faults in time varying conditions using the polynomial phase transform of the current," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1428-1439, 2011.
17. Henao, H., C. Demian, and G. A. Capolino, "A frequency-domain detection of stator winding faults in induction machines using an external flux sensor," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Appl.,, Vol. 39, 1272-1279, 2003.
18. Romary, , R., , R. Corton, D. Thailly, and J. F. Brudny, "Induction machine fault diagnosis using an external radial flux sensor," The European Physical Journal --- Applied Physics, Vol. 32, 125-132, 2005.
19. Penman, , J., , H. G. Sedding, and W. T. Fink, "Detection and location of interturn short circuits in the stator windings of operating motors," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol. 9, No. 4, 652-658, 1994.
20. Ceban, A., , R. Pusca, and R. Romary, "Study of rotor faults in induction motors using external magnetic field analysis," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, 2082-2093, 2012.
21. Frosini, , L., , A. Borin, L. Girometta, and G. Venchi, "A novel approach to detect short circuits in low voltage induction motor by stray flux measurement," 20th International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM'12), 1536-1542, 2012.
22. Assaf, , T., , H. Henao, and G.-A. Capolino, "Simplified axial flux spectrum method to detect incipient stator inter-turn short-circuits in induction machine," 2004 IEEE International mposium on Industrial Electronics,, Vol. 2, 815-819, 2004.
23. Cabanas, , M. F., M. G. Melero, G. A. Orcajo, F. Rodriguez Faya, and J. Solares Sariego, "Experimental application of axial leakage flux to the detection of rotor asymmetries, mechanical anomalies and interturn shortcircuits in working induction motors," Proc. of International Conference on Electrical Machines, ICEM'98,, 420-425, 1998.
24. Fi·ser, R. , S. Ferkolj, and , "Magnetic field analysis of induction motor with rotor faults," COMPEL, Vol. 17, No. 1--3, 206-211, 1998.
25. Bellini, , A., A. Yazidi, F. Filippetti, C. Rossi, and G.-A. Capolino, "High frequency resolution techniques for rotor fault detection of induction machines ," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 12, 4200-4209, 2008.
26. Reece, , A. B. J. and T. W. Preston, Finite Element Methods in Electrical Power Engineering, Oxford University Press, 2000.
27. Kappatou, J., , C. Marchand, and A. Razek, "Finite element analysis for the diagnosis of broken bars in 3-phase induction machines," Studies in Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 27, 348-353, 2006.
28. Ceban, , A., "Global diagnostic method of electrical machines," Doctoral Thesis, LSEE, Universite d'Artois, , 2012.
29. Fireteanu, , V., T. Tudorache, and P. Taras , "diagnosis of squirrel cage induction motors with rotor bar faults," Proc. OPTIM Conf., 1-6, 2006.
30. Fireteanu, , V. and P. Taras, "Teaching induction machine through finite element models," 18th International Conference on Electrical Machines, ICEM,, 1-6, 2008.
31. Yazidi, , A., H. Henao, G. A. Capolino, M. Artioli, F. Filippetti, and D. Casadei, , "Flux signature analysis: An alternative method for the fault diagnosis of induction machines," 2005 IEEE Russia Power Tech,, 1-6, 2005.
32. Trzynadlowski, A. M., , M. Ghassemzadeh, and S. F. Legowski, "Diagnosis of mechanical abnormalities in induction motors using instantaneous electric power," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol. 14, 1417 -1423, 1999.
33. Kuptsov, , V. V., , A. S. Sarvarov, and M. Y. Petushkov, "A new approach to analysis of induction motors with rotor faults during startup based on the finite element method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,, Vol. 45, 269-290, 2012.
34. Kia, S. H., , H. Henao, G.-A. Capolino, and C. Martis, "Induction machine broken bars faults detection using stray flux after supply disconection," 32nd Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics, IECON, 1498-1503, 2006.
35. Negrea, M. D., , "Electromagnetic flux monitoring for detecting faults in electrical machines," Doctoral Dissertation at Helsinki University of Technology, Laboratory of Electromechanics, 2006.
36. Fireteanu, , V., , P. Taras, R. Romary, R. Pusca, and A. Ceban, "Effects of rotor faults on operation parameter and the low frequency harmonics of the magnetic field outside induction motors," XVth International Symposium on Electromagnetic Fields, ISEF, , 2011.
37. Faiz, J., B. M. Ebrahimi, and M. B. B. Sharifian, "Time stepping finite element analysis of broken bars fault in a three-phase squirrel-cage induction motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 53-70, 2007.
38. Fireteanu, , V. and P. Taras, "Diagnosis of induction motor rotor faults based on finite element evaluation of voltage harmonics of coil sensors," Proc. of IEEE Sensors Applications Symposium, 1-5, 2012.
39. Fireteanu, , V., P. Taras, and , "Influence of the magnetic steel encasing of induction motors on the e±ciency of the rotor faults diagnosis based on the harmonics of the coil sensors output voltage," 2012 XXth International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM), 1745-1750, 2012.