A novel design of multiband microstrip antenna array with dumbbell shape defected ground structure (DGS) is presented. The DGS is inserted into the ground plane between the two elements of the antenna array in order to suppress mutual coupling. Both simulation and measurement results verified that the DGS had improved the radiation properties of the antenna array. Measurement results of the DGS antenna showed mutual coupling reduction of maximum 5 dB and gain enhancement to 3 dB.
2. Guha, D., S. Biswas, M. Biswas, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Concentric ring-shaped defected ground structure for microstrip application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 5, No. 1, 402-405, Dec. 2006.
3. Guha, D., M. Biswas, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for cross polarization suppression," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 4, 455-458, 2005.
4. Chung, Y., S. Jeon, D. Ahn, J. Choi, and T. Itoh, "High isolation dual polarized patch antenna using integrated defected ground structure," IEEE Microw. Component Lett., Vol. 14, 4-6, 2004.
5. Liu, H., Z. Li, X. Sun, and J. Mao, "Harmonic suppression with photonic bandgap and defected ground structure for a microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Microw. and Wireless Components Lett., Vol. 15, 55-56, 2005.
6. Salehi, M., A. Motevasselian, A. Tavakoli, and T. Heidari, "Mutual coupling reduction of microstrip antennas using defected ground structure," 10th IEEE International Conference on Communication Systems, 1-5, 2006.
7. Zainud-Deen, S. H., M. E. S. Badr, E. El-Deen, K. H. Awadalla, and H. A. Sharshar, "Microstrip antenna with defected ground plane structure as a sensor for landmines detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 27-39, 2008.
8. Zulkifli, F. Y., E. T. Rahardjo, and D. Hartanto, "Radiation properties enhancement of triangular patch microstrip antenna array using hexagonal defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 5, 101-109, 2008.
9. Dehdasht-Heydari, R. and M. Naser-Moghadasi, "Introduction of a novel technique for the reduction of cross polarization of rectangular microstrip patch antenna with elliptical DGS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 8-9, 1214-1222, 2008.
10. Bi, D. H. and Z. Y. Yu, "Study of dual stopbands UWB antenna with U-slot and V-slot DGS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 17-18, 2335-2346, 2008.
11. Rahardjo, E. T., F. Y. Zulkifli, and D. Marlena, "Multiband microstrip antenna array for WiMAX application," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Hongkong, Dec. 15-19, 2008.