A uniform asymptotic solution is presented for evaluating the field diffracted by the edge of a lossy double-negative metamaterial layer illuminated by a plane wave at skew incidence. It is given in terms of the Geometrical Optics response of the structure and the transition function of the Uniform Geometrical Theory of Diffraction, and results easy to handle. Its accuracy is well-assessed by numerical tests and comparisons with a commercial solver based on the Finite Element Method.
2. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, Metamaterials: Physics and Engineering Explorations, Wiley-Interscience, 2006.
3. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications," Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, 2006.
4. Gennarelli, G. and G. Riccio, "A UAPO-based solution for the scattering by a lossless double-negative metamaterial slab," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 8, 207-220, 2009.
5. Zhang, S., W. Fan, K. J. Malloy, S. R. J. Brueck, N. C. Panoiu, and R. M. Osgood, "Demonstration of metal-dielectric negative-index metamaterials with improved performance at optical frequencies," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 23, 434-438, 2006.
6. Alu, A., A. Salandrino, and N. Engheta, "Negative effective permeability and left-handed materials at optical frequencies," Optics Express, Vol. 14, 1557-1567.
7. Kussow, A. G., A. Akyurtlu, A. Semichaevsky, and N. Angkawisittpan, "MgB2-based negative refraction index metamaterial at visible frequencies: Theoretical analysis," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 76, No. 195123, 1-7, 2007.
8. Kouyoumjian, R. G. and P. H. Pathak, "A uniform geometrical theory of diffraction for an edge in a perfectly conducting surface," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, 1448-1461, 1974.
9. Jun, C. T., Z.-C. Hao, X. X. Yin, W. Hong, and J. A. Kong, "Study of lossy effects on the propagation of propagating and evanescent waves in left-handed materials," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 323, 484-494, 2004.