We propose single metal layer metamaterial bandpass filters based on compact complementary u-shaped resonators. Previously, metamaterial bandpass filters could only be achieved if a second conducting layer was utilized. Here, we propose a resonator concept that can directly be integrated with a single sided coplanar waveguide, enabling low fabrication costs and simple system integration. Furthermore, already a single unit cell yields a pronounced bandpass behavior without the need for cascading multiple resonators. Both, measurements and numerical simulations are presented. Using RO3003 as substrate, a low insertion loss of 1.71 dB and a corresponding 3-dB bandwidth ratio of 3.1% is achieved.
2. Simons, R. N., Coplanar Waveguide Circuits, Components, and Systems, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2001.
3. Wolff, I., "Coplanar Microwave Integrated Circuits," Wiley-Interscience, 2006.
4. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics Uspekhi, Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968.
5. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
6. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, April 2001.
7. Martin, F., F. Falcone, J. Bonache, R. Marques, and M. Sorolla, "Miniaturized coplanar waveguide stop band filters based on multiple tuned split ring resonator," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, 511-514, 2003.
8. Al-Naib, I. A. I., C. Jansen, and M. Koch, "Compact CPW metamaterial resonators for high performance filters," Passive Microwave Components and Antennas, Vitaliy Zhurbenko (ed.), Chapter 20, Intech, 2010.
9. Al-Naib, I. A. I. and M. Koch, "Coplanar waveguides incorporating SRRs or CSRRs: A comprehensive study ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 23, 343-355, 2010.
10. Martin, F., J. Bonache, F. Falcone, M. Sorolla, and R. Marques, "Split ring resonator based left-handed coplanar waveguide," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 83, No. 22, 4652-1-3, 2003.
11. Crnojevic-Bengin, V., V. Radonic, and B. Jokanovic, "Left-handed microstrip lines with multiple complementary split-ring and spiral resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 6, 1391-1395, 2007.
12. Ibraheem, I. A., J. Schoebel, and M. Koch, "Group delay characteristics in coplanar waveguide left-handed media," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 103, 024903-1-7, 2008.
13. Al-Naib, I. A. I., C. Jansen, and M. Koch, "Miniaturized bandpass filter based on metamaterials resonators: A conceptual study," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 41, No. 20, 205002, 2008.
14. Isik, O. and K. P. Esselle, "Design of monofilar and bifilar Archimedean spiral resonators for metamaterial applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 6, 929-935, 2009.
15. Borja, A. L., J. Carbonell, V. E. Boria, and D. Lippens, "Highly selective left-handed transmission line loaded with split ring resonators and wires ," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 94, No. 143503, 2009.
16. Ibraheem, I. A. and M. Koch, "Coplanar waveguide metamaterials: The role of bandwidth modifying slots," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 91, 113517-1-3, 2007.
17. Ansoft HFSSr, http://www.ansoft.com.
18. Dib, N. I., L. P. B. Katehi, G. E. Ponchak, and R. N. Simons, "Theoretical and experimental characterization of coplanar waveguide discontinuities for filter applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 39, No. 5, 873-882, 1991.
19. Ponchak, G. E. and L. P. B. Katehi, "Open- and short-circuit terminated series stubs in finite-width coplanar waveguide on silicon," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 45, No. 6, 970-976, 1997.
20. MacLeod, H. A., Thin-film Optical Filters, Taylor & Francis, 2001.
21. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley and Sons, 2005.