A compact circularly polarized (CP) crossed dipole antenna with chip inductors and square rings loaded for Global Positioning System (GPS) is proposed in this letter. The CP radiation is produced by crossing two dipoles through a 90° phase delay line of a vacant-quarter printed ring. Four chip inductors inserted in the dipole arms and four square rings loaded at the back of the dipole arms are introduced to obtain a compact dipole size. The plane dimension of the proposed antenna is 28 mm×28 mm, which can be widely used for GPS handheld devices. Details of the proposed antenna design and results are presented and discussed.
2. Heidari, A. A., M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009.
3. Labadie, N. R., S. K. Sharma, and G. M. Rebeiz, "A circularly polarized multiple radiating mode microstrip antenna for satellite receive applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 62, No. 7, 3490-3500, 2014.
4. Wang, Y. S. and S. J. Chung, "A miniature quadrifilar helix antenna for global positioning satellite reception," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3746-3751, 2009.
5. Amin, M., R. Cahill, and V. Fusco, "Dual-mode compact structure comprising of side-fed bifilar and quadrifilar helix antenna," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 5, 1006-1012, 2007.
6. Amin, M., J. Yousaf, and M. K. Amin, "Terrestrial mode quadrifilar helix antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 27, 179-187, 2011.
7. Lin, Y. F., Y. K. Wang, H. M. Chen, and Z. Z. Yang, "Circularly polarized crossed dipole antenna with phase delay lines for RFID handheld reader," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1221-1227, 2012.
8. Jin, P. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "High-directivity, electrically small, low-profile near-field resonant parasitic antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propaga. Lett., Vol. 11, 305-309, 2012.
9. Bai, X. and S.-W. Qu, "Wideband cavity-backed crossed dipoles for circularly polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 36, 133-142, 2013.
10. Yoon, W. S., S. M. Han, J. W. Baik, S. Pyo, J. Lee, and Y. S. Kim, "Crossed dipole antenna with switchable circular polarisation sense," Electron. Letters, Vol. 45, No. 14, 717-718, 2009.
11. Baik, J. W., T. H. Lee, S. Pyo, S. M. Han, J. Jeong, and Y. S. Kim, "Broadband circularly polarized crossed dipole with parasitic loop resonators and its arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 59, No. 1, 80-88, 2011.
12. Chi, L.-P., S.-S. Bor, S.-M. Deng, C.-L. Tsai, P.-H. Juan, and K.-W. Liu, "A wideband wide-strip dipole antenna for circularly polarized wave operations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 69-82, 2010.
13. Ta, S. X. and I. Park, "Crossed dipole loaded with magneto-electric dipole for wideband and wide-beam circularly polarized radiation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propaga. Lett., Vol. 14, 358-361, 2015.
14. Ta, S. X., H. Choo, and I. Park, "Planar, and lightweight, circularly polarized crossed dipole antenna for handheld UHF RFID reader," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 8, 1874-1878, 2013.
15. Ta, S. X., J. J. Han, and I. Park, "Compact circularly polarized composite cavity-backed crossed dipole for GPS applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering Science, Vol. 13, No. 1, 44-49, 2013.