A novel design of frequency reconfigurable Fabry-Pérot cavity antenna is presented. The superstrate of the antenna is a reconfigurable partially reflecting surface with PIN diodes on it. A dual-band patch antenna is used as the radiator of the antenna. Through changing the states of diodes, the partially reflecting surface can present different reflection phases, so the working frequency of the antenna can be tuned. The operation of frequency reconfiguration and the design method of the antenna are described exhaustively. A prototype antenna is fabricated and measured. The measured results show that the antenna can realize 13.1 dB gain at 4.6 GHz and 17.1 dB gain at 5.5 GHz with impedance bandwidths of 3.3% and 4.7%, respectively. Good agreement between the simulated and measured results is achieved, which proves the correctness of the design method. Besides, this method can also be used to design Fabry-Pérot cavity antenna working at other frequencies.
2. Zeb, B. A., R. M. Hashmi, K. P. Esselle, and Y. Ge, "The use of reflection and transmission models to design wideband and dual-band Fabry-Perot cavity antennas," 2013 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Theory, 1084-1087, 2013.
3. Kim, D., J. Ju, and J. Choi, "A broadband Fabry-Perot cavity antenna designed using an improved resonance prediction method," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1065-1069, May 2011.
4. Wang, N., Q. Liu, C. Wu, L. Talbi, Q. Zeng, and J. Xu, "Wideband Fabry-Perot resonator antenna with two complementary FSS layers," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 5, 2463-2471, May 2014.
5. Kim, D., "Noval dual-band Fabry-P´erot cavity antenna with low frequency separation ratio," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 8, 1869-1872, August 2009.
6. Konstantinidis, K., A. P. Feresidis, and P. S. Hall, "Dual subwavelength Fabry-Perot cavities for broadband highly directive antennas," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1184-1186, 2014.
7. Konstantinidis, K., A. P. Feresidis, and P. S. Hall, "Multilayer partially reflective surfaces for broadband Fabry-Perot cavity antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 7, 3474-3481, July 2014.
8. Abdelghani, M. L., H. Attia, and T. A. Denidni, "Dual- and wideband Fabry-Perot resonator antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 473-476, 2017.
9. Meng, F. and S. K. Sharma, "A dual-band high-gain resonant cavity antenna with a single layer superstrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 5, 2320-2325, May 2015.
10. Vaid, S. and A. Mittal, "A low profile dual band resonant cavity antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 2, 2017.
11. Trentini, G. V., "Partially reflecting sheet arrays," IRE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 4, 666-671, Oct. 1956.