A novel hierarchical characteristic basis function method (HCBFM) is proposed to calculate monostatic radar cross section based on singular value decomposition characteristic basis function method. In order to reduce the number of incident plane waves and accelerate the generation of characteristic basis functions (CBFs), an improved CBFs construction method is studied in this paper. Firstly, the target is partitioned with hierarchical approach, and at each incident plane wave, the high-level CBFs defined in large blocks are expressed as a linear combination of the previously generated low-level CBFs defined in the corresponding small blocks. Finally, the high-level CBFs in large blocks are orthogonalized by using singular value decomposition at multiple excitations, and a set of linearly independent CBFs can be obtained. Numerical results are given to demonstrate the accuracy and high efficiency of the proposed method.
2. Song, J., C. C. Lu, and W. C. Chew, "Multilevel fast multipole algorithm for electromagnetic scattering by large complex objects," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 10, 1488-1493, 1997.
3. Bleszynski, E., M. Bleszynski, and T. Jaroszewicz, "Adaptive integral method for solving largescale electromagnetic scattering and radiation problems," Radio Science, Vol. 31, No. 5, 1225-1251, 1996.
4. Zhao, K., M. N. Vouvakis, and J. F. Lee, "The adaptive cross approximation algorithm for accelerated method of moments computations of EMC problems," IEEE Transactions Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 47, No. 4, 763-773, 2005.
5. Prakash, V. V. S. and R. Mittra, "Characteristic basis function method: A new technique for efficient solution of method of moments matrix equations," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 36, No. 2, 95-100, 2003.
6. Mittra, R., G. Bianconi, and C. Pelletti, "A computationally efficient technique for prototyping planar antennas and printed circuits for wireless applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2122-2131, 2012.
7. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 3, 409-418, 1982.
8. Lucente, E., A. Monorchio, and R. Mittra, "An iteration-free MoM approach based on excitation independent characteristic basis functions for solving large multiscale electromagnetic scattering problems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 4, 999-1007, 2008.
9. Wang, Z. G., Y. F. Sun, and G. H. Wang, "Analysis of electromagnetic scattering from perfect electric conducting targets using improved characteristic basis function method and fast dipole method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 7, 893-902, 2014.
10. Shaeffer, J., "Direct solve of electrically large integral equations for problem sizes to 1M unknowns," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 8, 2306-2313, 2008.
11. Sun, Y. F., C. H. Chan, R. Mittra, and L. Tsang, "Characteristic basis function method for solving large problems arising in dense medium scattering," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 1068-1071, 2003.
12. Konno, K., Q. Chen, and K. Sawaya, "Optimization of block size for CBFM in MoM," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4719-4724, 2012.
13. Laviada, J., F. Las-Heras, M. R. Pino, and R. Mittra, "Solution of electrically large problems with multilevel characteristic basis functions," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 3189-3198, 2009.
14. Tamayo, J. M., A. Heldring, and J. M. Rius, "Multilevel adaptive cross approximation (MLACA)," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 12, 4600-4608, 2011.