A novel triple-mode hexagonal bandpass filter with capacitive loading stubs is introduced in this article. The technique, adding an open capacitive stub, is applied to enlarge the equivalent self-capacitance of the resonator, which declines its resonant frequencies. Three radial-line stubs in the center of top layer are used to implement this technique. One mode resonant frequency is varied with the radii of three radial-line stubs, while the other two modes are nearly not affected. This filter has a pair of transmission zeros which are close to the passband, thus it behaves with high selectivity. For method validation, a bandpass filter operating at 2.4 GHz is fabricated and measured. The experimental results are demonstrated and discussed.
2. Xiao, J.-K., S.-P. Li, and Y. Li, "Novel planar bandpass filters using single patch resonators with corner cuts," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1481-1493, 2006.
3. Xiao, J.-K. and Y. Li, "Novel compact microstrip square ring bandpass filters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1817-1826, 2006.
4. Wang, Y. X., B.-Z. Wang, and J. Wang, "A compact square loop dual-mode bandpass filter with wide stop-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 67-73, 2007.
5. Dai, X.-W., C.-H. Liang, G. Li, and Z.-X. Chen, "Novel dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using microstrip meander-loop resonators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 573-580, 2008.
6. Xiao, J.-K., Q.-X. Chu, and H.-F. Huang, "Novel microstrip right-angled triangular patch resonator bandpass filter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 581-591, 2008.
7. Zhao, L.-P., C.-H. Liang, G. Li, and X.-W. Dai, "Novel design of dual-mode bandpass filter with triangular structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 7, 923-932, 2008.
8. Zhao, L.-P., X. Zhai, B. Wu, T. Su, W. Xue, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel design of dual-mode bandpass filter using rectangle structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 131-141, 2008.
9. Shum, K. M., T. T. Mo, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "A compact bandpass ¯lter with two tuning transmission zeros using a CMRC resonator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 3, 895-900, 2005.
10. Ma, K., K. S. Yeo, and Q. Sun, "A novel planar multimode bandpass filter with radial perturbation," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 4, 964-966, 2009.
11. Serrano, A. L. C. and F. S. Correra, "A triple-mode bandpass filter using a modified circular patch resonator," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 1, 178-182, 2009.
12. Wong, S. W. and L. Zhu, "Quadruple-mode UWB bandpass filter with improved out-of-band rejection," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 3, 152-154, 2009.
13. Mao, R.-J. and X.-H. Tang, "Novel dual-mode bandpass filters using hexagonal loop resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 9, 3526-3533, 2006.
14. Atwater, H. A., "Microstrip reactive circuit elements," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 31, No. 6, 488-491, 1983.
15. Giannini, F., R. Sorrentino, and J. Vrba, "Planar circuit analysis of microstrip radial stub," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 32, No. 12, 1652-1655, 1984.
16. Gardner, D. W., Microwave filter design using radial line stubs, IEEE Region 5 Conference, 1988: `Spanning the Peaks of Electrotechnology', 68-72, Mar. 21--23, 1988.
17. Valero-Nogueira, A., E. Alfonso, J. I. Herranz, and M. Baquero, "A planar bandpass filter using butterfly radial stub," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 8, 1872-1875, 2007.