A modified differential evolution algorithm (MDE) for pattern synthesis of antenna arrays is proposed in this paper. By employing the novel strategies of best of random mutation and randomized local search, the convergence of standard differential evolution algorithm (SDE) is significantly accelerated. Five standard benchmark functions are optimized to testify the proposed algorithm by comparison with several other optimization algorithms. The numerical results verify the superior performance of the proposed MDE. Furthermore, the MDE is applied to two pattern synthesis examples, including a linear array and a cylindrical conformal array. Experiment results demonstrate that the proposed MDE has better performance than the other optimization methods in both of these two examples, which indicate the proposed algorithm is a competitive optimization algorithm in pattern synthesis.
"Modified Differential Evolution Algorithm for Pattern Synthesis of Antenna Arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 137, 371-388, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13011207
1. Sarkar, T. K. and N. Sangruji, "An adaptive nulling system for a narrow-band signal with a look-direction constraint utilizing the conjugate gradient method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 37, 940-944, 1989. doi:10.1109/8.29389
2. Bucci, O. M., G. D'Elia, and G. Romito, "Power synthesis of conformal arrays by a generalized projection method," IEE Proc. - Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 142, 467-471, 1995. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19952290
3. Mahanti, G. K., N. Pathak, and P. Mahanti, "Synthesis of thinned linear antenna arrays with fixed sidelobe level using real- coded genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 319-28, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07061304
4. Xu, Z., H. Li, Q. Z. Liu, and J. Y. Li, "Pattern synthesis of conformal antenna array by the hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 75-90, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091901
5. Lee, K.-C., "Frequency-domain analysis of nonlinearly loaded antenna arrays using simulated annealing algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 271-281, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04101501
6. Xie, P., K. S. Chen, and Z. S. He, "Synthesis of sparse cylindrical arrays using simulated annealing algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 147-156, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09051303
7. Khodier, M. M. and C. G. Christodoulou, "Linear array geometry synthesis with minimum sidelobe level and null control using particle swarm optimization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 2674-2679, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.851762
8. Wang, W. B., Q. Feng, and D. Liu, "Application of chaotic particle swarm optimization algorithm to pattern synthesis of antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 173-189, 2011.
9. Dib, N. I., S. K. Goudos, and H. Muhsen, "Application of Taguchi's optimization method and self-adaptive differential evolution to the synthesis of linear antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 159-180, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09122306
10. Li, R., L. Xu, X. W. Shi, and Z. Q. Lv, "Improved differential evolution strategy for antenna array pattern synthesis problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 429-441, 2011.
11. Basu, B. and G. K. Mahanti, "Fire fly and artificial bees colony algorithm for synthesis of scanned and broadside linear array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 32, 169-190, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11053108
12. Karaboga, D. and B. Akay, "A comparative study of artificial bee colony algorithm," Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 214, 108-132, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.amc.2009.03.090
13. Storn, R. and K. Price, "Differential evolution - A simple and efficient heuristic for global optimization over continuous spaces," Journal of Global Optimization, Vol. 11, 341-359, 1997. doi:10.1023/A:1008202821328
14. Mandal, A., H. Zafar, S. Das, and A. V. Vasilakos, "A modified differential evolution algorithm for shaped beam linear array antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 439-157, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11112408
15. Chowdhury, A., A. Ghosh, R. Giri, and S. Das, "Optimization of antenna configuration with a fitness-adaptive differential evolution algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 26, 291-319, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10080703
16. Goudos, S. K., Z. D. Zaharis, and T. V. Yioultsis, "Application of a differential evolution algorithm with strategy adaptation to the design of multi-band microwave filters for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 123-137, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10081704
17. Xie, L., Y. C. Jiao, and , "Design of an ultra-wideband antenna using boolean differential evolution algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 135-141, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERL11080804
18. Liu, J. and J. Lampinen, "A fuzzy adaptive differential evolution algorithm. soft computing - A fusion of foundations," Methodologies and Applications, Vol. 9, 448-462, 2005.
19. Qing, A., "Dynamic differential evolution strategy and applications in electromagnetic inverse scattering problems," IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, 116-125, 2006. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2005.859347
20. Zhang, L., Y. C. Jiao, H. Li, and F. S. Zhang, "Hybrid differential evolution and the simplified quadratic interpolation for global optimization," Proceedings of the First ACM/SIGEVO Summit on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, 1049-1052, 2009. doi:10.1145/1543834.1544005
21. Lin, C., A. Qing, and Q. Feng, "Synthesis of unequally spaced antenna arrays by using differential evolution," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 58, 2553-2561, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048864
22. Ishibuchi, H., T. Yoshida, and T. Murata, "Balance between genetic search and local search in memetic algorithms for multiobjective permutation flowshop scheduling," IEEE Tran. Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 7, 204-223, 2003. doi:10.1109/TEVC.2003.810752
23. Noman, N. and H. Iba, "Accelerating differential evolution using an adaptive local search. evolutionary computation," IEEE Tran. Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 12, 107-125, 2008. doi:10.1109/TEVC.2007.895272
24. He, Q. Q., B. Z. Wang, and W. Shao, "Radiation pattern calculation for arbitrary conformal arrays that include mutual-coupling effects," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagt. Mag., Vol. 52, 57-63, 2010. doi:10.1109/MAP.2010.5525566
25. Boeringer, D. W. and D. H. Werner, "Efficiency-constrained particle swarm optimization of a modified Bernstein polynomial for conformal array excitation amplitude synthesis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 2662-2673, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.851783