The electromagnetic scattering from a conducting cylinder coated with metamaterials, which have both negative permittivity and permeability, is derived rigorously by using the classic separation of variables technique. It is found that a conducting cylinder coated with metamaterials has anomalous scattering cross section compared to that coated with conventional dielectric materials. Numerical results are presented and discussed for the scattering cross section of a conducting cylinder coated with metamaterials.
2. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, 2001.
3. Saadoun, M. M. I. and N. Engheta, "Theoretical study of electromagnetic properties of non-local omega media," Progress in Electromagnetic Research, Vol. PIER 9, 351-397, 1994.
4. Engheta, N., "An idea for thin subwavelength cavity resonators using metamaterials with negative permittivity and permeability," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, 10-13, 2002.
5. Ziolkowski, R. W. and E. Heyman, "Wave propagation in media having negative permittivity and permeability," Phys. Rev. E., Vol. 64, No. 5, 056625, 2001.
6. Lindell, I. V., S. A. Tretyakov, K. I. Nikoskinen, and S. Ilvonen, "BW media â€”Media with negative parameters, capable of supporting backward waves," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 31, No. 2, 129-133, 2001.
7. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Microwave transmission through a two-dimensional, isotropic, left-handed metamaterials," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 78, No. 4, 489-491, 2001.
8. Valanju, P. M., R. M. Walser, and A. P. Valanju, "Wave refraction in negative-index media: Always positive and very inhomogeneous," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 88, No. 18, 012220, 2002.
9. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of and," Soviet Physics Uspekhi, Vol. 92, No. 4, 517-526, 1968.
10. Tang, C. C. H., "Backscattering from dielectrically coated infinite cylindrical obstacles," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 28, 628-633, 1957.
11. Chen, H. C. and D. K. Cheng, "Scattering of electromagnetic waves by an anisotropic plasma-coated conducting cylinder," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. AP-12, 348-353, 1964.
12. Massoudi, H., N. J. Damaskos, and P. L. E. Uslenghi, "Scattering by a composite and anisotropic circular cylindrical structures," Electromagnetics, Vol. 8, 71-83, 1988.
13. Kishk, A. A., R. P. Parrikar, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Electromagnetic scattering from an eccentric multilayered circular cylinder," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. AP-40, 295-303, 1992.
14. Shen, Z. X., "Electromagnetic scattering by an impedance cylinder coated eccentrically with a chiroplasma cylinder," IEE Pro. Microwaves, Vol. 141, No. 8, 279-284, 1994.
15. Tang, C. C. H., "Back-scattering from dielectrically coated infinite cylindrical obstacles," Ph.D. Thesis, 1956.