The rigorous modeling and analysis of electromagnetic wave transformation and radiation from the periodic boundary of metamaterial are presented. The nature of the phenomenon of resonant radiation and the influence of various parameters on it are investigated. The study is carried out with the objective of potential applications to antenna design. Simulated results show that very high directivity can be obtained and that beam steering can be achieved by adjusting proper parameters.
2. Engheta, N., "An idea for thin subwave length cavity resonators using metamaterials with negative permittivity and permeability," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, No. 1, 10-13, 2002.
3. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Compact, linear, lead/lag metamaterial phase shifters for broadband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, No. 7, 103-106, 2003.
4. Lai, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Mgazine, Vol. 5, No. 3, 34-50, 2004.
5. Lim, S., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Electronically scanned composite right/left handed microstrip leaky-wave antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 6, 277-279, 2004.
6. Bilotti, F., A. Al`u, N. Engheta, and L. Vegni, "Anomalous properties of scattering from cavities partially loaded with double-negative or single-negative metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 49-63, 2005.
7. Caloz, C., C.-C. Chang, and T. Itoh, "Full-wave verification of the fundamental properties of lefthanded materials in waveguide configurations," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 90, No. 11, 5483-5486, 2001.
8. Shestopalov, V. P., "Physical principles of mm and sub mm engineering," Kiev. Naukova Dumka, 1985.
9. Chandezon, J., G. Granet, A. Ye. Poyedinchuk, and N. P. Yashina, Rigorous model for the materials with negative permittivity and permeability electromagnetic study, PIERS, 2004.
10. Poyedinchuk, A. Ye., Yu. A. Tuchkin, N. P. Yashina, J. Chandezon, and G. Granet, "C-method: several aspects of spectral theory of gratings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 113-149, 2006.
11. Granet, G., A. Ye. Poyedinchuk, and N. P. Yashina, Mode coupling at the periodic boundary of metamaterial, PIERS, 2006.